• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

beanxinh

Did any body has the same problem as mine?
I'm using windows 10 with foobar and after a while I can't output DSD file to my Topping. I tried ASIO and WASAPI without avail.
Thank

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You can only compare with high quality files (WAV, FLAC and DSD), at least 44.1kHz and 16-bit (HQ files is better).

From my modded Asus STX, and now modded D50s, yes, I can still find some "new" instruments (and nuances) I haven't never hear before.

This was enough to make me happy. Of course, I changed more than just the OP-Amps on D50s.

When I play DSD files the difference is easy to spot.

Uh huh...

If you mess them up enough, it gets easier and easier...

bboris77

Just a quick question for everyone - is it normal that it takes 2 key presses on the remote control (or the unit) to change the input once the display has gone blank (when Display Auto mode is active)? The first key press only wakes up the display, and the second key press actually switches the input. This does not happen when Display is set to anything else except to the Auto mode. It's really not a big deal, but wanted to know if this is how these units behave. I prefer keeping the display off to prevent the OLED screen from experiencing any burn in.

GeorgeWalk

Just a quick question for everyone - is it normal that it takes 2 key presses on the remote control (or the unit) to change the input once the display has gone blank (when Display Auto mode is active)? The first key press only wakes up the display, and the second key press actually switches the input. This does not happen when Display is set to anything else except to the Auto mode. It's really not a big deal, but wanted to know if this is how these units behave. I prefer keeping the display off to prevent the OLED screen from experiencing any burn in.

That's how it works on mine. I also keep the display off to prevent burn in.

Toku

Major Contributor
That is the correct operation.

pointlineplane

Hi all,

I've been reading ASR for the 6-7 months that I've been into audiophile gear, and have really enjoyed and learned a lot from Amir's measurements and reviews, as well as everyone else's contributions.

This is my first post.

For those you looking to buy a Topping D50s, Drop is currently selling it for US$185: https://drop.com/buy/topping-d50s-dac

You can also buy it with the A50 amp and/or the P50 linear power supply. I've attached some screenshots so you can see the prices of the various product combinations.

Attachments

• screenshot3.png
    screenshot3.png
    167.3 KB · Views: 159
  • screenshot2.png
    screenshot2.png
    166.4 KB · Views: 159
  • screenshot1.png
    screenshot1.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 138

Toku

Major Contributor
Did any body has the same problem as mine?
I'm using windows 10 with foobar and after a while I can't output DSD file to my Topping. I tried ASIO and WASAPI without avail.
Thank
Do you see the following message in that case?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Playback error
Unrecoverable playback error: The process receiving or sending data has terminated
----------------------------------------------------------------

altefrau

You can only compare with high quality files (WAV, FLAC and DSD), at least 44.1kHz and 16-bit (HQ files is better).

From my modded Asus STX, and now modded D50s, yes, I can still find some "new" instruments (and nuances) I haven't never hear before.

This was enough to make me happy. Of course, I changed more than just the OP-Amps on D50s.

When I play DSD files the difference is easy to spot.
I even tried 192kHz. No difference. But anyways - where is the sense in upping your DAC if you won't notice it in your 99% use, like Spotify, Tidal...?

Toku

Major Contributor
Where I can find firmware updates for topping dacs? I haven't found anything in the website?
The D50s firmware has not been updated yet.
The D50 has been updated twice, but has now been removed from HP. However, if you contact the following email address of Topping, the file will be sent.
D50 FW1.02 (18I)
D50 FW1.03 (18L)

Technology support & after sales service: [email protected]

birkbott

I got my unit today and hooked it up to my Mac but I can’t figure out how to change the playback settings? Amazon music will only play in SD. Anyone else use this with a Mac?

Nemo

Forum Donor
Thinking of replacing Topping's stock USB Type B>A to a Type B>C. Has anyone tried to see if using a Type C connection works?
That's how I use it: perfectly fine!

Nemo

Forum Donor
I got my unit today and hooked it up to my Mac but I can’t figure out how to change the playback settings? Amazon music will only play in SD. Anyone else use this with a Mac?
I do not use Amazon Music, but I'm general on. a Mac you have to select the D50s on the Audio Midi and fix the bit depth & sampling rate there.

Zek

Major Contributor
Which audio player do you use?
The settings are within the player itself.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can also buy it with the A50 amp and/or the P50 linear power supply. I've attached some screenshots so you can see the prices of the various product combinations.

I changed the stock USB cable (it's too poor) with a much better one.

Photo:
http://tom-hifi.over-blog.com/2020/...fessional-usb-2.0-cable-yb-y1-0.5m/1.6ft.html

Mine's 1 meter (or 3.28 feet).

For power suppy, I'm using a MS-50-5, it's a lot cheaper and do perfectly the job.

Already got my JDS Atom amp too. As for RCA cables, I got those:
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/gp/product/B07PFNSFZT/

It sounds amazing specially after the mods.

Top Bottom