• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Jarrett

4.82 fixed an issue on my D10 where I was having delayed / slightly slow looking video in MPC-BE under WASAPI Exclusive. Switching to WASAPI Shared fixed it but of course that was inconvenient losing the ability to switch sample rates on its own. I'm glad whatever that was is fixed.

yodog

Can this D50S switch between DAC only mode and DAC + Preamp? Can the volume control be disabled?

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

Vosya

I don't know why (Topping) were so much secretive about this.
They are afraid to convey to consumers the idea that the new drivers are objectively better than the old ones. And that new ones should be published as soon as they are released, and not wait until they (Topping) are actually forced to do this through e-mail.

Toku

Major Contributor
The cause is due to Thesycon side.
I've talked about Topping and Driver before, and when I answered, "Toping is only in a position to get driver software from Thesycon.
No detailed information was given to us. There was.

Vosya

to get driver software from Thesycon. No detailed information was given to us
Companies that also use Thesycon's drivers for XMOS USB chipsets, but at the same time publish full information about driver revisions - get it obviously in a pirated way? Funnily.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Then blame Thesycon for discrimination lol. What in the hell would they gain by not giving out changelog?

Vosya

Then blame Thesycon for discrimination
Well, there are reasons to blame Thesycon. They, for example, made the "TUSBAudio Spy Tool" unavailable since the 4.xx version of drivers. It is a very powerful tool for measure the quality of audio data transmission via USB in the current hardware setup and software settings.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
so does changing the volume actually change the Vrms RCA preout voltage?

If the answer is yes, do you or anyone know what volume level/setting would output 0.5v, 1.0v and 1.5v?

The volumes goes from -99 until 00.

The max output is 2V @ 00 (zero). So you can do the math now.

At -49 should be 1V.

keyoke

just got my topping d50s

have read through the forum and realised some experience the "popping" sound when dac switches from 44.1khz (after play a AAC file at JRiver) to 384khz (Windows Control Panel set to 32bit, 384khz).

I can only avoid the "popping" sound by setting the Windows Control Panel to 32bit 352khz and below...

will a firmware update fix this issue?

Toku

Major Contributor
just got my topping d50s

have read through the forum and realised some experience the "popping" sound when dac switches from 44.1khz (after play a AAC file at JRiver) to 384khz (Windows Control Panel set to 32bit, 384khz).

I can only avoid the "popping" sound by setting the Windows Control Panel to 32bit 352khz and below...

will a firmware update fix this issue?
I purchased this soon after the release of the D50 and noticed this problem. I have repeatedly raised this issue on the ASR, but none of the members showed any interest. Of course, I also reported to Topping and requested an improvement. After that, I purchased D50s, but my symptoms did not improve. I have discussed it several times with Topping, but for Topping, this problem cannot be easily solved with Topping alone.

Your solution is to change the Windows upsampling setting from 384kHz to 352kHz to avoid pops. It is not an essential solution, but it is a valid one.

Veri

Master Contributor
Why would you let Windows sample to 3xx kHz anyway :| you really think the internal ESS Sabre oversampler is worse than Windows?

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Why would you let Windows sample to 3xx kHz anyway :| you really think the internal oversampler is worse than Windows?
Veri, a question for me?
I do not use the Windows audio engine upsampling feature. Occasionally only used for equipment testing. I usually listen to music using ASIO.
I want to ask the same question @keyoke.

yodog

All I'll say (before the attacks begin), now I can listen for hours. No fatigue at all.

excuse me if it’s been mentioned already, but what exactly did you replace and with what? Do you have a part number that I can copy n paste into Digi-Key or something to find it and potentially buy it?

Top Bottom