• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Seriously?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/post-94424
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/post-94474
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/post-94501
After that, we have now:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...on-filter-modes-audio-measurements-png.28406/
- Amir’s measurements are comprehensive, accurate, reliable...

The best evidence is that the D30 was thrown into the pantry and there is not even the thought of returning it to the place of the D50.

That's it...fall back to the old 'because I said so' response. Clever...clever indeed.

Well, if you don't even want to use it, that makes all the difference...Why didn't you say so right away?

Vosya

i know there are different filters, i already saw the measurements.
It seems like you can not do without a quote:

"- The situation is depressing if we compare the results with the measurements of Topping DX7s. Not to mention the declared values of es9038q2m. I am sincerely disappointed with the Topping D50.
P.S. How, in your opinion, can be explained by 40-50 dB the worst value of the stop band in Topping D50?

- I don't know. I should double-check the results."

Why, against the background of such Amir’s measurements, should someone trust other measured values?

THW

Forum Donor
That's it...fall back to the old 'because I said so' response. Clever...clever indeed.

Well, if you don't even want to use it, that makes all the difference...Why didn't you say so right away?

also, like I said, measuring for the existence of a filter is redundant unless there is something seriously wrong that shows up in the measurements (e.g. THD+N vs frequency in the Totaldac review).

mykeldg

would you say the d50 is more detailed sounding than d30? what did you think about the d30's sound signature -- is it laid back or more neutral compared to the d50?

THW

Forum Donor
would you say the d50 is more detailed sounding than d30? what did you think about the d30's sound signature -- is it laid back or more neutral compared to the d50?

shouldn't be particularly different, both should sound similar

take it what you will but for the life of me i literally can't hear any difference in terms of actual sound quality between all 3 DAC/amps that i have no matter how hard i try. granted its not D30 vs D50 but still. if you're getting a DAC you should be doing it for the feature set that said DAC offers imho, assuming good performance (which actually isn't uncommon nowadays).

Vosya

On the forum, it was repeatedly noted by different people that the measurements at the border (or already abroad?) of clipping are not reliable. If nothing changes - what is there to talk about.

mykeldg

shouldn't be particularly different, both should sound similar

take it what you will but for the life of me i literally can't hear any difference in terms of actual sound quality between all 3 DAC/amps that i have no matter how hard i try. granted its not D30 vs D50 but still. if you're getting a DAC you should be doing it for the feature set that said DAC offers imho, assuming good performance (which actually isn't uncommon nowadays).

Well I have very few experience with DACs. The only comparison I have is the Fiio d03k (which is very much entry level) and Audioquest dragonfly. Compared to the D30, all 3 have audible differences in sound signature possibly because they all use different chips and have different measured frequency response. My 1st DAC that really measured well and flat was the d30.

That said, if it were level matched blind test, it would be hard because all my other DACs are not true 2V lineout unlike the d30. maybe thats where i think the d30 sounds much better.

mykeldg

Very tangible.

It is beyond the limits of the commonly used vocabulary.
you seem to claim lots of stuff (like how the d50 is much better then the d30) yet disclose very little effort in describing them. your posts have very little value IMO other than spinning an argument.

THW

Forum Donor
Well I have very few experience with DACs. The only comparison I have is the Fiio d03k (which is very much entry level) and Audioquest dragonfly. Compared to the D30, all 3 have audible differences in sound signature possibly because they all use different chips and have different measured frequency response. My 1st DAC that really measured well and flat was the d30.

That said, if it were level matched blind test, it would be hard because all my other DACs are not true 2V lineout unlike the d30. maybe thats where i think the d30 sounds much better.

yes to the human brain louder is clearer, better, more dynamic etc., hence the importance of level matching in tests.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Spot on. Oldest trick in the audio salesman's bag. People will almost universally prefer louder.

Veri

Master Contributor
This kind of question belongs more on a forum like head-fi. You are asking about DAC 'sound signatures' on which there are already many topics...
Remember, this is AudioScienceForum :)

Vosya

yet disclose very little effort in describing them
Search template: cs4398 vs es9038 - are you able to type in Google? You will get so many IMOs about sound that there will be even too much.
I told you that definitely there is a difference. It is too subjective to describe it in words.

THW

Forum Donor
Search template: cs4398 vs es9038 - are you able to type in Google? You will get so many IMOs about sound that there will be even too much.
I told you that definitely there is a difference. It is too subjective to describe it in words.

Yes because head-fi and SBAF are places where you go to for reliable and well-informed opinions on audio equipment

mykeldg

This kind of question belongs more on a forum like head-fi. You are asking about DAC 'sound signatures' on which there are already many topics...
Remember, this is AudioScienceForum :)
Hmm i honestly dont know whats wrong with that question. I think asking how it sounds on an audio product is a valid question— wouldnt you agree? Pardon me if i havent read the terms and conditions of this forum but my question was just an honest/ curious one.

mykeldg

Lol how old are you? This is a hobby forum. Lighten up

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

giphy.gif

THW

Forum Donor
Hmm i honestly dont know whats wrong with that question. I think asking how it sounds on an audio product is a valid question— wouldnt you agree? Pardon me if i havent read the terms and conditions of this forum but my question was just an honest/ curious one.

not really a T&C thing but more like it is a given that DACs sound a lot more similar than different over here.

THW

Forum Donor

no there clearly is a difference you heathens, in fact it is so indescribable it requires the unquestionable hearing abilities of the best audiophiles on the planet to be able to discern and appreciate the differences between different DAC chips

mykeldg

not really a T&C thing but more like it is a given that DACs sound a lot more similar than different over here.
Thats very much a valid point. Then why does this forum exist if they all sound the same? Why go through all the measurements and reviews and tons of pages just to not care about the sound? Your point is clearly taken but i just thought it was a healthy discussion you know

Top Bottom