• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

da Choge

Forum Donor
For those of you who already own the element X and are Roon users, is the element X a fully RoonReady streamer? It seems to be Roon compatible from prior posts, but on Matrix's website, it never clearly indicates if the element X is truly RoonReady or not. I know there are some photos of the unit with "RoonReady" depicted in its LED window, but it seems that those may be of the element M and not the X -- (edit) -- I take that back. Amir's photo at the beginning of this thread is clearly of the element X with "RoonReady" in the window (the photos on Matrix's website with "RoonReady" in the window are of the element M). If it is fully RoonReady, can it take a 384 or 768 PCM stream and at least a native DSD 256 via Roon RAAT? It would seem so from most indications, but those of you who already have the unit, from your prior posts, seem to have run into a few glitches along the way in getting it there.

- john

Last edited:

tensor9

Forum Donor
I just asked Matrix a couple of days ago, it is not certified Roon Ready yet.

FunctionalDoc

I am seriously considering getting one of these and was wondering what would the use of Roon due for me ?

I got listen to the Entitlement X at RMAF this year and was very impressed.

The use of the Android app is how you would access your music on a hard drive or playing on Tidal is that correct?

I see John Darko has posted anew video review AURALIC ALTAIR G1 and the previous AURALIC DAC haven't benched as well as the Matrix.

Thoughts of the people who own the Element X do like and think is a great bargain ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The use of the Android app is how you would access your music on a hard drive or playing on Tidal is that correct?
You mean with Roon? If so, yes. Roon makes tidal streaming content look as if they are on your hard disk. You can mix and match them without ever worrying or thinking whether the content is on Tidal or in your local library.

tensor9

Forum Donor
Another benefit of Roon is that Tidal will not allow you to stream HD/MQA content from the App (or desktop) to an external device, unless something has changed. You can listen to HD/MQA stuff on the device the app is installed on, but you can't "cast" it. Roon allows you to stream Tidal content from the app to an external device. Roon is not the only way to do this, but it makes everything easy.

FunctionalDoc

Another benefit of Roon is that Tidal will not allow you to stream HD/MQA content from the App (or desktop) to an external device, unless something has changed. You can listen to HD/MQA stuff on the device the app is installed on, but you can't "cast" it. Roon allows you to stream Tidal content from the app to an external device. Roon is not the only way to do this, but it makes everything easy.

Is there a windows desktop app version to control the Element X content say on a USB hard drive or just from Android device unless I use Roon?

I guess I will have add $499 to get Roon lifetime . Thanks

tensor9

Forum Donor
If you were to have a PC/Mac with Tidal installed on it connected directly to your DAC, that would work, but I am not sure how you would control it remotely. One thing I am also a little unclear on is how well the Tidal app bypasses screwy OS drivers that might manipulate the sound.
Roon takes care of all this.

BillG

Major Contributor
Is there a windows desktop app version to control the Element X content say on a USB hard drive or just from Android device unless I use Roon?

Without actually knowing the supported streaming protocols of the X, that's hard to say. I've not looked at its manual, but let's assume for a moment that it supports DLNA/UPnP - that's pretty standard on streaming products currently, which is why I'm comfortable making the assumption.
If that's the case, then there are a number of Windows applications that could access and control it in theory, dependant upon how complete its implementation of the protocol is.

As to the cost and user friendliness of such applications, I can't say, as it's not something I've researched.

BillG

Major Contributor

I just had a look at the X's product page, and rather minimal pdf manual: it does support being used as a DLNA/UPnP player - that's usually referred to as a renderer, by the way. However, what's not specified is whether or not it has server functionality for accessing content on attached storage through DLNA. They do mention that their Android app can access this, so unless they're using something proprietary, my guess would be DLNA/UPnP.

I'd suggest contacting Matrix Audio on their support page for clarification... :cool:

Here's the manual, if you wish to read it for yourself:

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&s...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1kWwn8UZtrfsp9-myUH5Vi

Last edited:

FourT6and2

If I have zero use/need for streaming, would this thing still be a good option for an all-in-one DAC/headphone amp? Anything better out there for the money? My requirements are low output impedance, 4-pin XLR output, and a good amount of power. I haven't found any comparable do-it-all boxes. What am I missing? Best alternative I can find is the Violectric V280 headphone amp with the optional built-in DAC chip.

I wouldn't get the Element X for use as a dedicated DAC since Matrix offers those and this one seems to have a good amp.

Veri

Master Contributor
If I have zero use/need for streaming, would this thing still be a good option for an all-in-one DAC/headphone amp? Anything better out there for the money? My requirements are low output impedance, 4-pin XLR output, and a good amount of power.

Well, this ticks all the boxes at the most supreme level of performance. If you can afford it, the Element X seems ideal for your use.

tensor9

Forum Donor
If I have zero use/need for streaming, would this thing still be a good option for an all-in-one DAC/headphone amp? Anything better out there for the money? My requirements are low output impedance, 4-pin XLR output, and a good amount of power. I haven't found any comparable do-it-all boxes. What am I missing? Best alternative I can find is the Violectric V280 headphone amp with the optional built-in DAC chip.

I wouldn't get the Element X for use as a dedicated DAC since Matrix offers those and this one seems to have a good amp.
My problem is that I have zero use for a headphone amp. The main pull to the Element X vs the Sabre Pro is the more advanced pre-amp built into the Element X. So ideally I would like an Element X without the headphone amp or the network steamer (because I already have a streamer). If I had to choose to pay for functionality that I didn’t need, it’d be the streamer, though.

I contacted Matrix to suggest they offer a stripped down version without the HPA and/or the streamer, and they said they’d strongly consider it.

I really just need a great DAC/preamp combo, importantly without strictly digital volume control.

FourT6and2

My problem is that I have zero use for a headphone amp. The main pull to the Element X vs the Sabre Pro is the more advanced pre-amp built into the Element X. So ideally I would like an Element X without the headphone amp or the network steamer (because I already have a streamer). If I had to choose to pay for functionality that I didn’t need, it’d be the streamer, though.

I contacted Matrix to suggest they offer a stripped down version without the HPA and/or the streamer, and they said they’d strongly consider it.

I really just need a great DAC/preamp combo, importantly without strictly digital volume control.

Funny. I just need a DAC/headphone amp combo. No preamp, no streamer. Seems hard to find good combo units. I wish they made a good, simple DAC with a good headphone amp. 3 watts, XLR4, sub-1ohm impedance. This thing gets good reviews it seems. But it's a lot of money for functionality I don't need.

Other alternatives would be something like the Matrix X-SABRE Pro DAC + a dedicated amp, like the THX AAA 789 or similar. But I'd rather have a simple all-in-one box.

tensor9

Forum Donor
Funny. I just need a DAC/headphone amp combo. No preamp, no streamer. Seems hard to find good combo units. I wish they made a good, simple DAC with a good headphone amp. 3 watts, XLR4, sub-1ohm impedance. This thing gets good reviews it seems. But it's a lot of money for functionality I don't need.

Other alternatives would be something like the Matrix X-SABRE Pro DAC + a dedicated amp, like the THX AAA 789 or similar. But I'd rather have a simple all-in-one box.

I like the X-Sabre Pro, but..... it's limited to only digital volume control (for attenuation). Hahah, it's always something.

FourT6and2

I like the X-Sabre Pro, but..... it's limited to only digital volume control (for attenuation). Hahah, it's always something.

Yeah, lots of great products out there but there's always a gap in performance/usability somewhere.

skipost-it

Look NEWS from Matrix Audio, the Element I model maybe is for you...

FourT6and2

Look NEWS from Matrix Audio, the Element I model maybe is for you...

Nope. It's a streamer. It has a headphone amp built-in, but it's not very powerful and it doesn't have XLR4. I contacted Matrix and they said they don't have any plans to make a DAC/amp combo. All their products are players/streamers.

Jpkinsella

Olson’s HiFi in Lynnwood Wa. Is now a Matrix Audio dealer! Products in store soon.....

tensor9

Forum Donor
So, I just sold my Directstream DAC. I'm thinking of this one.
But... how do you connect it to your WiFi network without an Android phone? I don't own one of those. I have an iPhone, so...

Top Bottom