• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of ifi nano iDSD Black DAC and Amp

έχω δίκιο

Short adapters work perfectly when you tie the DAC at the back of the device with Velcro or rubber bands. And yes, I was referring to the adaptor mentioned by n2it.

You and I have differing views of ergonomics and aesthetics. I'll leave it at that.

n2it

You and I have differing views of ergonomics and aesthetics. I'll leave it at that.

I agree it is personal preference.

When you want to have the highest quality music on the go, how do you do it? Do you carry an external DAC with a long cable? Do you use fit for purpose DAP? Do you compromise sound quality with Bluetooth? Do you live with the DAC and amp in your phone? Something else or do you not listen in a portable way?

The reason I commented on the original post was that at first I thought the ifi design was stupid (when I connected it to my computer to test it). But when I used it while traveling/on the go connected to a portable transport (like my phone or even tablet), the connector ended up being very functional and useable.

Georgrig

Do you have the meenova cable or something else?

Yes, I have the Meenova lightining-to-microUSB cable. Mind you, it is the second generation of that cable. The first generation is not working with the latest iOS versions. I bet you can find many Chinese cables with similar functionality. Haven't looked that extensively and I am not competent in Mandarin.

It is exactly because I care for ergonomics and aesthetics that I prefer having a short cable to connect a mobile device with a DAC attached with Velcro (not rubber bands) at its back. After all, that's what this DAC/Amp is designed for, use on-the-go. That's why it has a built-in battery. I think there are much better options (in both ergonomics and performance) for desktop use.

I also specifically mentioned iOS devices, since there are many choices for better quality audio in the Android realm (LG & HTC smartphones, Onkyo Granbeat, Essential's Audio Adapter HD (announced, I doubt if it will ever be released), numerous Android-based DAPs). If you want to drive power-hungry headphones of an Apple device, you have to get a portable DAC/Amp.

It would be nice if you could connect a dedicated DAC/Amp at the back of the phone magnetically, via pogo pins (like what Motorola tried to do, for other accessories though) or use a case with an embedded DAC/Amp (much like the cases with embedded batteries). It would be much more convenient! I don't see Apple doing any of that anytime soon, though.

At the end of the day, it's not about whether you are right (as your username, written in Greek, suggests) or whether I have questionable aesthetic criteria. It's about sharing knowledge and experience that will help everyone enjoy their favorite music in the best way possible.

Last edited:

poimandres

With the meenova cable it connects directly to the iPhone and the nx4 correct? No cck?

Bhavin

Hello @amirm . I m new member in forum. Thanks for add.

I hv Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro Plus headphones & I m in search of good DAC Amp/DAP for it. I like neutral sound signature & good sound stage(not flat).

Also, my headphone impedance is just 16 ohms. So high power requirements r not there(150 mW/32 ohms is enough).

Which among NX4 DSD & Nano ifi BL wl have best sound output & wl b convenient by all means? I m also considering iBasso DX120, xDuoo XD10 Poke & Centrance DACPortable.

Thanks in advance for answer.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Which among NX4 DSD & Nano ifi BL wl have best sound output & wl b convenient by all means? I m also considering iBasso DX120, xDuoo XD10 Poke & Centrance DACPortable.
Welcome to the forum. Yes, both NX4 DSD and ifi Black are recommended. I can't comment on the others until I test them. For now, I would say you would be safer going with my recommendations. :)

Bhavin

Thanks @amirm . Which one is better from NX4DSD & ifi Nano BL as per your opinion?

S I told I hv Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro Plus & my preferance is neutral sound signature(not flat).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Which one is better from NX4DSD & ifi Nano BL as per your opinion?
I am a fan of having lots of power and as such, I like the NX4DSD better.

momo7G

@amirm will flipping the filter switch (which can be selected between measure and listen) at the back affect the result??

Bhavin

@amirm if sound is criteria, not power(fr not power hungry cans), then which one wl u pick from NX4 DSD and Nano BL, bro?

έχω δίκιο

At the end of the day, it's not about whether you are right (as your username, written in Greek, suggests) or whether I have questionable aesthetic criteria. It's about sharing knowledge and experience that will help everyone enjoy their favorite music in the best way possible.
That's why I just left it at saying we "have differing views of ergonomics and aesthetics" -- I'm no fashion expert. It's personal preference, that's all. BTW: Nice job on looking up the username.
When you want to have the highest quality music on the go, how do you do it? Do you carry an external DAC with a long cable?
Normally, I carry an O2 headphone amp and a 3' audio cable the plugs into my iPhone SE or iPad Pro 12.9". If I am forced to get one without a headphone jack in the future, I will likely use the Apple headphone dongle as a line out to feed a desktop headphone amp. Objective measurements of the Apple device analog outputs has shown them to be exemplary, bettering the quality of many outboard DACs.

Ken Rockwell, in his conclusions on the performance of the iPhone 6S Plus audio output wrote this:
Ken Rockwell said:
Analysis & Recommendations
As expected, the analog audio output of the iPhone 6S Plus is extraordinarily good. It has only half the distortion of the already extraordinary iPhone 6 Plus.

Apple has more smart people and more resources than any other audio company on the planet, so as we see when it comes to audio engineering, the iPhone easily outdoes many so-called "audiophile" products.

For enjoying music, you will probably get poorer performance if you waste your time and money with outboard DACs or headphone amplifiers; the iPhone already has the best there is.

Why do commercial audio magazines tout external DACs and amplifiers? Because that what their advertisers are trying to sell!

The only reason to get an outboard headphone amplifier for use with your iPhone 6S Plus is if you have high-impedance (100Ω or greater) headphones like the 600 Ω beyerdynamic DT880 which often require more voltage than the 1V RMS maximum from iOS devices. In this case, you still don't need a DAC; the analog output from the iPhone's 3.5mm jack will probably be better than what you'd get fromo an expensive outboard DAC!

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Note that there there are MFi certified DACs like the Fiio Q1mkII.

I don't know if it was certified, but I have the original non-DSD NX4 and it hooks up directly to my iPhone without CCK.

έχω δίκιο

Native speaker. You have no idea how hubristic it sounds to my ears.
I was more going for pompous rather than hubristic, but it looks like I came close to the mark. :D

I enjoy reading to your comments, nevertheless. Keep it up!
Haha, have been quietly enjoying "@έχω δίκιο" since I joined the forum.

Thanks to both of you. I have fun here and I'm glad I still have a couple of people I've not alienated.

Last edited:

Bhavin

@amirm & @Thomas savage , I don't know whether this is happening by system or wat, but this is second time I hv experienced tht my 2 comments hs been cut!

This is just waste of my time bros!

Either u guys, check your system or tell me whether I should comment here, share my work & exp & should ask questions to admins like @amirm or not?

I m fed up after post same things again & again bros! :facepalm::rolleyes:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I don't know whether this is happening by system or wat, but this is second time I hv experienced tht my 2 comments hs been cut!

That message is posted.

Try again.

Top Bottom