• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Fiio K3 DAC & Amp

Phalange

Hey, it's me again. I'm considering selling my K3, because my two headphones, Custom One Pro and X2HR are indeed "easy to drive". So I dont think I need an amp, and a dac won't make much difference for me from an onboard soundscard (Ill be upgrading my pc, so maybe using alc 892 /1220 from msi.)
Maybe i'll purchase a better amp if i own need-to-drive headphones in the future?

Updates: sold

Last edited:

Corvo94

Hi Amirm I'm google translator and I apologize for my English. I bought a fiio k3 yesterday but I have a doubt. Does the bass boost not work line out instead of the boost gain yes is normal? Instead they are all about headphone output. Can you test also please with headphones only? I've tried everything but bass boost line out doesn't work.

Hi and thanks for the review! I have one question. I am about to buy a DT770 pro. Do you think the FiiO K3 will be good or should I go for a FiiO K5 alongside my mother board's dac? I have a Realtek codec S1220A on an Asus rog strix Z390. Half people say it's more than a decent dac and an amp is all I need, the rest say it's no good and in the end I don't know where to spend some hard earned money...

Lastmood

hii great and very detailed review..im newbie also i dont quite understand about components inside dac/amp or electricity but im planning to get fiio k3 for my pc, mostly im using an iem for listening music and i have several iem and custom iem which using multiple driver balanced armature..will k3 suitable for low impedance / balanced armature iem?? i read in some forum (I can't remember which forum is , maybe from reddit) that's the iem especially use BA driver wil blow up if connected to desktop dac/amp , im not sure my iem/ciem have sensitive driver.. from what i know they use some BA from sonion (3000 series) . i dont mind if its not sound good as long as doesn't harm my iem/ciem collection im okay with it, i want to hear your opinion..
thanks in advance

Hi, I recently acquired the k3. Some questions and something I noticed.

1st, I think the supplied cable is not bringing enough power to the k3. I changed to an ikea usb-c cable, and it became louder. Seems it requires a reliable quick charging cable and data transfer.

I also tried optical out to another dac and have this horrible occasional crackling sound. Something to do with power savings according to fiio forums. Thats feels like an odd design decision. Could also mean poor engineering planning.

Some other odd behaviours include, auto and unexpected shutdown if connected to a usb hub, many usb c cables dont work, feels like it needs a cable that is capable of charge and data transfer.

Other then some shoddy design decision, its not a bad portable amp and dac. Fairly attractive, the only thing that gets to me is the crackling sound when output through optical toslink. They have some funky instructions on editing the firmware. But Im on a mac and I need to get hold of a pc.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for the review! I have one question. I am about to buy a DT770 pro. Do you think the FiiO K3 will be good or should I go for a FiiO K5 alongside my mother board's dac? I have a Realtek codec S1220A on an Asus rog strix Z390. Half people say it's more than a decent dac and an amp is all I need, the rest say it's no good and in the end I don't know where to spend some hard earned money...
K3 is weak

hii great and very detailed review..im newbie also i dont quite understand about components inside dac/amp or electricity but im planning to get fiio k3 for my pc, mostly im using an iem for listening music and i have several iem and custom iem which using multiple driver balanced armature..will k3 suitable for low impedance / balanced armature iem?? i read in some forum (I can't remember which forum is , maybe from reddit) that's the iem especially use BA driver wil blow up if connected to desktop dac/amp , im not sure my iem/ciem have sensitive driver.. from what i know they use some BA from sonion (3000 series) . i dont mind if its not sound good as long as doesn't harm my iem/ciem collection im okay with it, i want to hear your opinion..
thanks in advance
K3 is not worth buying. It will work with IEMs.

Top Bottom