• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Preamp

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So is this still the best Phono Preamp? I'm thinking to replace my Muffsy MP-4.
Define "best".
As per MM SINAD, it was measured for 1V output (11mV input) which is different than what Amir standardized on later (5mV input).

From the THD+N vs level plot, one may deduct around 84dB SINAD for MM at 5mV input.

So this is, anyway, excellent.

Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Pre-amp THD vs Level MM Measurements (1).png

5mV input with 39dB gain gives approx. 450mV on the output.
Which measures around 0.006%-0.007% THD+N or -84dB to -83dB.

Last edited:

Plyske

Define "best".
As per MM SINAD, it was measured for 1V output (11mV input) which is different than what Amir standardized on later (5mV input).

From the THD+N vs level plot, one may deduct around 84dB SINAD for MM at 5mV input.

View attachment 300722
Which measures at 0.006% THD+N or -84dB.
And in English? :)

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks haha

Is there a ranking to be found somewhere on here for phono preamps?
There is a SINAD ranking for phono preamps.

This doesn't tell the full story, though: you need to take into account Frequency response accuracy, gain, flexibility, distortion vs noise, headroom,...

(There are a few mistakes as well in the ranking, IMO.)

So take this ranking with a grain of salt: it should just tell you what to avoid, since they perform way lower.

Plyske

There is a SINAD ranking for phono preamps.

This doesn't tell the full story, though: you need to take into account Frequency response accuracy, gain, flexibility, distortion vs noise, headroom,...

(There are a few mistakes as well in the ranking, IMO.)

So take this ranking with a grain of salt: it should just tell you what to avoid, since they perform way lower.
I'll take a look at that. Thanks!

I've thought about the Cambridge Duo, but since I don't plan on getting a MC in the near future (will go with 2M series), I wonder if the solo will be just as good or if the Duo is not only capable of MCs but also built better?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if the solo will be just as good or if the Duo is not only capable of MCs but also built better?
It appears more or less the same in measurements.
The build quality of the Duo is fine, but nothing stunning either. It's a grey metal boy ;-).
I would go with what is cheaper to you. I got my Duo used for pocket change, wouldn't buy it for it's regular price.

Plyske

The build quality of the Duo is fine, but nothing stunning either. It's a grey metal boy ;-).
I would go with what is cheaper to you. I got my Duo used for pocket change, wouldn't buy it for it's regular price.
Thanks for this reply. I've also the possibility to buy an Atoll PH-100. Would that be a better option?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this reply. I've also the possibility to buy an Atoll PH-100. Would that be a better option?
By what metric?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably not.
Have a look at the Atoll DAC200 measurements.

Specs for their Phono preamp gives 0.05% THD, which is a mere -66dB (without any spec on noise).
Not the same league.
(If we suppose THD is measured at 1kHz, which is not specified)

Also, comments posted regarding build quality (and presence of some on-board potentiometers) are interesting.
You'll find a similar build for their Atoll PH100 Phono preamp.

atoll-ph-100-phono-preamplifier.jpg

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never touched Atoll, but their build seems more or less the same than the Duo.
I would go for the Duo if you have the money.
You might be interested in MC cartridges later.
It measures good.
It has a headphone output with attenuation, if that is important to you.
Looks neat enough.
PXL_20220414_131841113.jpg

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It’s actually the best looking reasonably priced product i have.

andrewskaterrr

Define "best".

View attachment 300722
Which measures around 0.006%-0.007% THD+N or -84dB to -83dB.
So I have no brand loyalty, I’m just trying to upgrade to my final one. I plan to stick with MM only, so MC isn’t a huge deal. No Headphone amp needed. My main concerns are best performance under say $300, and hoping that I can get one that isn’t too wide due to placement. I would highly prefer one with a rumble filter.
Do you have a top 3 before I spend hours looking through reviews?
Setup:
Technics SL-1200 MKV
AT VM540ML
DIY ~40ft Canare L-3CFB + Rean RCAs
JBL SDP-55 Pre/Pro

Last edited:

andrewskaterrr

I guess I'm a little stuck on what to do. These reviews are all over the place with different graphs and verbiage, so I'm trying my best to compare. I put a "?" where I guess or don't know. I bolded the downsides.
Cambridge Audio Duo $350: Large, SINAD ~84dB, FR +0.2dB, HPF ~6dB/octave @30hz, Balance knob, Head Room ???.
Cambridge Audio Solo $230: Mid, SINAD 86dB, FR +/-0.65dB, HPF ~12dB/octave @25hz, Balance knob, Head Room 95mv? (?dB Gain) ($170 used).
Schiit Mani 2 $150: Small, SINAD 81dB, FR +/-0.18dB, HPF ~3dB/octave @250hz, No Balance knob, Head Room 63mv (44dB Gain).

Setup:
Technics SL-1200 MK5
AT VM540ML (4.0mV at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec)
DIY ~40ft Canare L-3CFB + Rean RCAs
JBL SDP-55 Pre/Pro
I run the official +4dB Harman Curve from JBL, and have 4x PB-1000 Pro subs, 2 of which are on either side of the Turn Table shelf. While I don't think I hear any rumble with my current MP-4 which does not have a HPF, I still would like a HPF to make sure. My in room response reaches @13hz @-6dB but is on a fast slope down after that.
The Solo may be the one to get because it has the best High Pass Filter and SINAD, but it also has the worst Frequency Response. The Schiit Mani 2 seems to be an all around ok choice with switch options, but slow HPF. In reality though, that slow HPF barely impacts the 20-250hz, but I still wish it cut off below 20hz faster. It looks like it's only -6dB @10hz, which isn't much cutoff. It will only require me to move my TT over maybe an inch for more breathing room which is another positive. I'd like a Balance knob, but I'm not sure if I'll ever need it? I level my TT so I don't have needle drift, but I'm not sure if some records may need it. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom