• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel f226be?

Soundstage

Not sure if you’ve seen this or not.

At some point you say that because of the higher sensitivity of the speaker, it sounds more dynamic at low volume than say the F208.
Could you explain why the sensitivity relates to the dynamic?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
At some point you say that because of the higher sensitivity of the speaker, it sounds more dynamic at low volume than say the F208.
Could you explain why the sensitivity relates to the dynamic?

To be clear, I never stated anything about the f208. I realize you're using that as an example but I have never heard that speaker so I don't want people reading your quote and thinking that I literally made that statement.

It's a subjective thing, for sure. But, IME, sensitivity and dynamics tend to correlate. In regards to this specific speaker the thing that stood out was the ability of it to provide a nice bassline and attack without cranking the volume. It took less output for me to feel satisfied with the bass and, generally speaking, the midbass is what limits the sensitivity due to baffle step. Compared to conventional speakers which use only a single woofer, the additional woofer here helps offset the baffle loss which pushes the overall sensitivity up.

Though, comparing apples-to-apples designs, the sensitivity/dynamics factor could be related more to the amplification factor (lower sensitivity requires more power; you reach the amp's max capability more quickly). You have that extra power for the amplifier to provide a more dynamic range. Crown has a good calculator for figuring this out wrt headroom. If you compare an 84dB @1w/1m sensitivity speaker with a target SPL of 85dB at 3m listening distance and the music content has 6dB dynamic range, you'd need about 45 watts. With a sensitivity of 89dB, you'd need 14w. But at 45w to the 89dB speakers you'd have 11dB of headroom.

I also think things like lower thermal compression and lower distortion play a role in this. But, generally speaking, that should only be a factor in a design with poorly designed drive units.

Last edited:

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Thanks! This was very informative and helpful. Makes me more inclined to get the f226be over the f208.

I haven't heard the f208 but, honestly, I really loved everything about the F226Be. It's one of those speakers that you listen to and you think "okay, so how does it get better than this?".

Not saying it can't get better. But, genuinely, what is better and how is it better. For example, the Dutch & Dutch 8c... man, talk about incredible speakers. But they are cardioid speakers. And I didn't expect them to do some of the things they do wrt soundstage. Yet, they do. So, how/why is that? I haven't measured it yet but hopefully the data will help me/us answer that question.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't heard the f208 but, honestly, I really loved everything about the F226Be. It's one of those speakers that you listen to and you think "okay, so how does it get better than this?".

Not saying it can't get better. But, genuinely, what is better and how is it better. For example, the Dutch & Dutch 8c... man, talk about incredible speakers. But they are cardioid speakers. And I didn't expect them to do some of the things they do wrt soundstage. Yet, they do. So, how/why is that? I haven't measured it yet but hopefully the data will help me/us answer that question.
I guess Pascal isn’t so bad with some good ole DSP?

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Welp, just pulled the trigger on the f226be. Got a great deal on them, and so decided to give them a shot over the f208. Should be getting them next week. Very excited. Thanks for your help all.
Congrats! Please let us know how they work out for you.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welp, just pulled the trigger on the f226be. Got a great deal on them, and so decided to give them a shot over the f208. Should be getting them next week. Very excited. Thanks for your help all.
jealous.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
WOW, you'll love them I'm sure. ;););)

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I *think* a local member has F226Be and can loan it out when I find the time. Meanwhile I have the F328Be to test which I have purchased myself.

Eagerly awaiting your review of the F226Be.

(I know there is a review posted by someone else on this forum. I prefer a well-established baseline)

beren777

I find myself locked in analysis paralysis between the F208 and F226Be. Primary usage would be 70/30 weighted towards movie. Small room, but I would like to be able to move to a medium sized room in the future without upgrading speakers again. I have previously trialed F208's and really enjoyed them, but have FOMO over the 226Be. I do have a sub, but I prefer to cross it over as low as possible and let the L/R handle as much of the bass as they reasonably can.

In a perfect world I'd just go for the F228Be's, but those are firmly out of reach financially.

I don't have the opportunity to affordably demo the 226Be's.

Lsc

I find myself locked in analysis paralysis between the F208 and F226Be. Primary usage would be 70/30 weighted towards movie. Small room, but I would like to be able to move to a medium sized room in the future without upgrading speakers again. I have previously trialed F208's and really enjoyed them, but have FOMO over the 226Be. I do have a sub, but I prefer to cross it over as low as possible and let the L/R handle as much of the bass as they reasonably can.

In a perfect world I'd just go for the F228Be's, but those are firmly out of reach financially.

Those that have heard the F226Be side by side with the F228Be (many dealers) confirmed that the difference in bass performance is relatively small. You’d be doing yourself a huge favor by going with the F226Be.
I have owned both the F208 & F228Be and the Be really gets you closer to that “high-end” sound we all strive for. Even if you are 70% movies, the times you listen to music you will be glad. Now the F208 is still a very good speaker but the better drivers and crossovers are worth the money, considering people don’t buy speakers every day.

mj30250

I would absolutely go with the F226Bes in this case. If you feel bass-starved at all, you could save for an additional sub or bigger sub(s) over time. That way you get all of the benefits of the Be series, and any good quality sub will reach lower and outplay the F208's 8" woofers.

archerious

Those that have heard the F226Be side by side with the F228Be (many dealers) confirmed that the difference in bass performance is relatively small. You’d be doing yourself a huge favor by going with the F226Be.
I have owned both the F208 & F228Be and the Be really gets you closer to that “high-end” sound we all strive for. Even if you are 70% movies, the times you listen to music you will be glad. Now the F208 is still a very good speaker but the better drivers and crossovers are worth the money, considering people don’t buy speakers every day.
I may need to go F226Be rather than F208. The price difference is not that signicant after dealer discounts or open box pricing ($5750 vs $4300).

Lsc

I may need to go F226Be rather than F208. The price difference is not that signicant after dealer discounts or open box pricing ($5750 vs $4300).
Definitely worth the difference in price. The beryllium tweeter’s replacement cost is $1000 each (at least for my Salons). So, what a deal actually since all the drivers have been upgraded including that liquid smooth midrange along with the crossover & waveguide.

The performa are excellent speakers but the performa3 imho play in the high end playground where some feel like “yes there are better speakers and one can upgrade, but it’s sounds more than good enough for me to just sit back and enjoy”.

mj30250

Did these just get discontinued and discounted, or has this been the case for awhile? I just picked up on this thread an did a search and found them for $3850 w/ free shipping at multiple locations. https://www.audioadvice.com/home-au...ay-floorstanding-loudspeaker-each+color-Black

Also, Crutchfield has them as discontinued. Any updates please?
They are not discontinued, likely just out of stock. Contact a Harman dealer directly for availability. When I purchased mine last year a few colors were in stock, and a couple were back ordered several months. By the way, that price you see is per speaker, not per pair.

Top Bottom