• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reducing DAC volume doesn't necessarily decrease bit-depth of audio data.

• Thread starter Deleted member 58865
  • Start date

Sokel

Master Contributor
What you see is a line that goes down exactly with the volume, this means the absolute level of the noise/distortion remains constant.
Let's see real world (attenuated at the DAC side not generator level,as a user would normally do) :

-2.PNG

-2db of attenuation 104.8 SINAD

-30.PNG

-30db of attenuation 75.1 SINAD

Edit:values added.

Last edited:

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let's see real world (attenuated at the DAC side not generator level,as a user would normally do) :

View attachment 276344

-2db of attenuation

View attachment 276345

-30db of attenuation
if you would scale the 30dB plot back to absolute level you see the noise and distortion components stay at the same level..
Why did you scale back the -30dB signal to 0dB?

Sokel

Master Contributor
if you would scale the 30dB plot back to absolute level you see the noise and distortion components stay at the same level..
The measurements is in dbr so already relative to absolute level you can see that in settings that's why I posted the whole screen.
In dbFS the harmonics would be waaaay down but the overall SINAD would the same or very near,I'll make one that way too later (now I'm drinking my coffee with music).

Sokel

Master Contributor
Forgot I can do it from the saved ones in history.here we go:

-2.PNG

-2dbdbFS 104.8 SINAD

-30.PNG

-30dbFS 75.2 SINAD

both.PNG

Both.

Don't ask me to interpret,I'm too newbie for it :)

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Could you add an attenuator and repeat measurements?
I don't recall if anybody made such a measurements - great value added.
Amir does it all the time lately,it's the SINAD vs level one (on device's side),the one with the time on the X axis).
Attenuator,you mean something like a pre?

piaseczek

Attenuator,you mean something like a pre?
I mean fully passive attenuator, e.g. -20dB made from low value resistors not to increase noise of the DAC. In theory it should not worsten the SNR/SINAD and solve the issue of gain mismatch in many systems based on DAC connected directly to a power amplifier.

E.g. ready made one, jts ma-123 (very low input impedance):

Nice discussion in the rme forum:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Ok,got it.
I don't have a ready one at hand as I normally use a traditional pre (old one) but i must have resistors to built one.
I will update at some time,I'm curious too.

piaseczek

I would say that universal values for -20dB attenuator are: 2 x 2k and 450ohm. Lower impedance than most of potentiometers and high enough not to stress (much) analogue part of the DAC.

Here is the online calculator:

notsodeadlizard

This discussion is completely incomprehensible because it has been proven that 16 bits of CD quality is enough, lossy compression is no different from lossless compression, so listen to your mp3 and don't torture yourself with such difficulties.
Or does "objectivism" mean something else?

^_^

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This discussion is completely incomprehensible because it has been proven that 16 bits of CD quality is enough, lossy compression is no different from lossless compression, so listen to your mp3 and don't torture yourself with such difficulties.

^_^
Take your strawmanning elsewhere please.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

^_^

Troll much?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Forgot I can do it from the saved ones in history.here we go:

View attachment 276352

-2dbdbFS 104.8 SINAD

View attachment 276353

-30dbFS 75.2 SINAD

View attachment 276354

Both.

Don't ask me to interpret,I'm too newbie for it :)
What DAC is that? Do we know how it is implmenting the volume control? (It starts with a less than SOTA SINAD in the first place)

What is more significant though is the dramatic *increase* in 3rd and 5th harmonic of the attenuated signal, so the two harmonics are actually HIGHER absolute level than in the non attenuated signal.

This is not what I would expect, and suggests a non ideal implementation of the digital volume control.

Sokel

Master Contributor
What DAC is that? Do we know how it is implmenting the volume control? (It starts with a less than SOTA SINAD in the first place)

What is more significant though is the dramatic *increase* in 3rd and 5th harmonic of the attenuated signal, so the two harmonics are actually HIGHER absolute level than in the non attenuated signal.

This is not what I would expect, and suggests a non ideal implementation of the digital volume control.
The known Khadas which Amir has tested.
Of course my measurement (at -2db) is some 5db worst than Amir's SOTA analyzer,that's more than expected as I insist measuring everything as-is,sitting on the rack (for this one 6 meters cable is involved but still gets decent for a 13 yo ADC).
The VC is also the known internal ESS digital implementation.
If you want to change something in the measurement tell me,I have everything handy now.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The known Khadas which Amir has tested.
Of course my measurement (at -2db) is some 5db worst than Amir's SOTA analyzer,that's more than expected as I insist measuring everything as-is,sitting on the rack (for this one 6 meters cable is involved but still gets decent for a 13 yo ADC).
If you want to change something in the measurement tell me,I have everything handy now.
Thanks.

I can't suggest a change in measurement. I can't understand where the absolute increase of 3/5th harmonics is coming from. Perhaps someone more experienced with how the ESS DACs VC works can explain possible causes.

(I would expect the harmonic distortion comes from the analoge electronics after the DAC chip. However, if that were the case, I'd expect the absolute levels of HD to be proportional to the attenuated level of the output signal (Like it is for 2nd and 4th). Increased absolute HD suggests to me that it is being added by the volume change in the digital domain - but I also don't see how this could happen)

piaseczek

In well-implemented DAC digital volume control measurements should look like that:

The harmonics are gone in the noise.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Thanks.

I can't suggest a change in measurement. I can't understand where the absolute increase of 3/5th harmonics is coming from. Perhaps someone more experienced with how the ESS DACs VC works can explain possible causes.

(I would expect the harmonic distortion comes from the analoge electronics after the DAC chip. However, if that were the case, I'd expect the absolute levels of HD to be proportional to the attenuated level of the output signal (Like it is for 2nd and 4th). Increased absolute HD suggests to me that it is being added by the volume change in the digital domain - but I also don't see how this could happen)
Just for the fun of it I did a loopback of the E-MU to see,first with it's crappy analog pot from the headphone amp and then just attenuating it by windows mixer (all ASIO).

-4db.PNG

at -4db

-30.PNG

at -30db crappy pot

-30 int.VC.PNG

at -30 by windows mixer.

Fell free to comment,suggest other measurements,etc.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

How are you accessing the internal ESS VC with the Kahdas? If it is the Khadas 1, then it has no volume control on the board.

Sokel

Master Contributor
How are you accessing the internal ESS VC with the Kahdas? If it is the Khadas 1, then it has no volume control on the board.
Not if you have Ian's ESS controler (which I do),it comes handy as you can control everything (I don't use it's VC,I have a pre,I bought more for the display and the other features).

Sokel

Master Contributor
In well-implemented DAC digital volume control measurements should look like that:

The harmonics are gone in the noise.
I agree and I urge anyone to test for themselves in real life conditions,Multitone Analyzer is free (thank's to @pkane) and all you need is an half-decent ADC to get an idea.

Top Bottom