• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recordable CDs - HELP!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The TDK CD-Rs are fine for playback on your standalone CD-Recorders, even if you recorded them on a PC/External CD-ROM, but you wont get the standard CD-R (data)s recording on your Pioneer.

Some standalone CD-recorders could be 'tricked' by removing the CD-R (consumer audio) after it's done the laser burn power calibration (rec/pause) by manually opening the drawer or lifting up the chuck and inserting a CD-R (data) from the same company (TDK-TDK, SONY-SONY) but that doesn't work on all machines.

One thing about ASR is members just cannot resist telling you how you should be listening, recording and generally consuming your music and what media (if any) you should be using (according to their group think policy). Just ignore anyone who doesn't answer your question is the best policy.

And for those who think the CD format is dead, just tell Yamaha. They've just introduced a 5 disc player, like their ones from the early 90s (with USB too). They now have 4 in the range.

I don't get the Yamaha thing. I guess I understand it from a marketing angle. From an audio standpoint the cheap deck is going to sound as good as the seven thousand dollar machine. I don't know if the 'build' QC is better for the money. You expect that, but who knows?

The important thing is the laser tracking and sled mech. For the dollars you'd want it to last forever. But it probably won't. And why doesn't panel info on the expensive machine show you as much stuff as even the cheap ones from from the '80s and '90s? Can anyone explain that? They all seem to have the same blue LED readout.

For day to day 'in your living room' use is a less than one hundred dollar DVD player as capable as a 'dedicated' CD player. Is there a real difference? Cheap DVD player sure doesn't look as nice as the expensive spread.

Recently moved a PC from my living room, losing all my digits in the process. Dug out an 'old' Denon DVD player from the bottom of a closet somewhere. It even has 'digital out' for use with an external DAC (coax) but I haven't bothered with that. Next I dusted off boxes of CDs from the basement. Many burned on an ASUS PC burner, using Verbatim CD-R discs, from FLAC files. I can't say I notice a sonic difference between either the discs or the FLAC files. The homemade discs, some 10 years old, still play.

I always disliked the CD form factor. In fact I hate it. I blame Sony and Phillips. What could they have been thinking? Stacked jewel cases always slip and go everywhere; case cover hinges always break; that thing in the middle where you press the disc into fails. Never try to read CD liner notes. Forget about getting a wall poster with your CD. The discs themselves? Always felt unweildy in my fumble fingers. Where is my green felt tipped market, and stabilizing rings?

As far as PCs? I always had an optical burner. If and when I buy a new PC I'll probably have another installed. They are inexpensive. Why not? Even if I never use it, I just want to see it on the front. Which brings me to another complaint--why don't you get more USB ports on the front of a PC? And why don't they come in impressive colors, like those old SGI machines? Iris Indigo? Or the Indy?

It's all too modern. I think I'll go align a phono cartridge, or something.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Was like SCMS with DAT. It was switchable on the pro-units and digital to digital dubbing was not limited to one generation.
"Scums", I remember it well. Had a "consumer" Technics DAT SV DA -10 recorder that had SCMS and was limited to 48khz recording. Brought it to a guy running an Oakland (California) recording studio, fixed both problems by opening the unit up and bypassing a switch (and I think soldering over a trace on the board) on the front of the unit. It became, essentially, a Panasonic 3800 in all but name.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Yeah. Good idea, there must be some cassette decks that need head alignment after I've finished cleaning the head-drum on my VCR. LOL.

OP
M

mvleff

I've had consistently good results using Taiyo Yuden/JVC CDR's, the company (in Japan) ceased manufacturing optical media, and licensed their technology to CMC Pro (Taiwan), and I've found those to be as good as the original JVC media. They are somewhat more expensive than other brands (but are still inexpensive). They claim to be archival quality, and are compliant with redbook standards. I have used them in a computer CD writer, and also in an Alesis ML-9600 hard disk recorder/CD writer. I also use DVD-R by the same company to archive material. They are available from BH Photo/Video, as well as the Amazon marketplace, caveat emptor as to the latter unless sold by Amazon (as opposed to a third party).
Just ordered myself a supply CMC discs from Sweetwater. - Finally was able to determine why I had two two outboard USB optical drives: The older one had gotten unreliable; it is currently living in my wastebasket. - The CMCs will serve me for straight up copying for sharing, mostly from mpeg files on computer. When I want to do any rudimentary editing on a standalone/component CD recorder, I've got a reliable supply of music designated CD-RWs to work with; copy the "product" and erase the CD-RW. Rinse, repeat. - But thanks again for the CMC lead.

OP
M

mvleff

Yeah. Good idea, there must be some cassette decks that need head alignment after I've finished cleaning the head-drum on my VCR. LOL.
Yeah, I have a friend who needs help with his phono cartridge. And if you saw his LP collection and how marvelously he takes care of them, you would appreciate how much it's worth the trouble. Along with his Klipsch Heresy speakers and refurbished "legacy" Macintosh 1700 receiver. Sometimes it feels special to be a Luddite.

OP
M

mvleff

Just ordered myself a supply CMC discs from Sweetwater. - Finally was able to determine why I had two two outboard USB optical drives: The older one had gotten unreliable; it is currently living in my wastebasket. - The CMCs will serve me for straight up copying for sharing, mostly from mpeg files on computer. When I want to do any rudimentary editing on a standalone/component CD recorder, I've got a reliable supply of music designated CD-RWs to work with; copy the "product" and erase the CD-RW. Rinse, repeat. - But thanks again for the CMC lead.
Actually I need to be a good bloke and get that wounded optical drive to electronics recycling. My almost bad!

Robin L

Master Contributor
Last time I counted I had around 800 CDs. Got 46 more last week. One big, fat box has all of Beethoven's compositions on 85 CDs. There's around 80 SACDs. I know that there's no point in trying to sell any of them. Might as well play them.
I made an estimate today of the CDs/SACDs in my collection. There's more like 1200. I'm amazed there's room for them all in our tiny house.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I made an estimate today of the CDs/SACDs in my collection. There's more like 1200. I'm amazed there's room for them all in our tiny house.
Why? It will probably fit on one or two of these:

yD55dVMP8MH732UDdu9JgT-1200-80.jpg.webp%0A

;)

Robin L

Master Contributor
Why? It will probably fit on one or two of these:

yD55dVMP8MH732UDdu9JgT-1200-80.jpg.webp%0A

;)
It will fit on a Micro SD one third the size of that, have one in my DAP. That's with Apple Lossless files. Assuming Apple Lossless is about the same as FLAC. Haven't got around to counting the number of albums on my DAP - there's only 40 GB of space left on it - there should be around 1800/1900 albums in the DAP.

But I've lost files on my storage devices, so I will hang on to my CDs. I guess I'm just as much of a luddite in my own way as those who collect and still play their LPs.

Reactions: BJL

Robin L

Master Contributor
I like the CD form factor
The size is right, and the sound is right, but Jewel Cases drive me batty. Also, when shopping in a music store, the sound of LPs softly flapping against each other is preferable to CDs clacking plasticky sounds against each other.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing I noticed after digging out and playing a few 'old' CD-R discs. I encountered a horrible 'scratching' sound on some loud passages. Some kind of distortion.

I used 48X burn speed on those. I read somewhere on-line that higher burn speeds can create 'problem spots' on CD-R discs, which may lead to distortion. I don't know if that is the case, but it sounds reasonable, I suppose. I reburned the discs at 16X (which took a few minutes longer) and didn't have the problem.

Middle Earth

I got this a couple month ago and some M-DISCs
I Heart that burner/player for $140
I also Heart the M-DISCs for straight ripping and multi-generational life-span
I am dedicated to CDs as my physical audio storage
I have been looking at CD transports, aka not DAC CD players.
There aren’t as many true transports but I want an external DAC
Regardless very happy with

PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-XS07S Silver Color to Match Mac.6X Slot Loading Portable USB 3.2 Gen1(3.0) BD/DVD/CD Writer. Supports BDXL and M-Disc Format. USB Bus Powered https://a.co/d/hud8ThS

OP
M

mvleff

I got this a couple month ago and some M-DISCs
I Heart that burner/player for $140
I also Heart the M-DISCs for straight ripping and multi-generational life-span
I am dedicated to CDs as my physical audio storage
I have been looking at CD transports, aka not DAC CD players.
There aren’t as many true transports but I want an external DAC
Regardless very happy with

PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-XS07S Silver Color to Match Mac.6X Slot Loading Portable USB 3.2 Gen1(3.0) BD/DVD/CD Writer. Supports BDXL and M-Disc Format. USB Bus Powered https://a.co/d/hud8ThS
This seems like a lot of $$ for an external optical read/write drive but I might consider it if it would perform more reliably than the two modestly priced (not bottom of the line cheap) LG units I have. Between the two I can generally do anything I need but they don't both do everything equally well which it seems they should. In essence the one serves me for importing to my computer, the other for burning from my computer. How bizarre is this?! Any insights as to whether spending more money might sort this out and allow me to do everything with one drive?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get the Yamaha thing. I guess I understand it from a marketing angle. From an audio standpoint the cheap deck is going to sound as good as the seven thousand dollar machine. I don't know if the 'build' QC is better for the money. You expect that, but who knows?

The important thing is the laser tracking and sled mech. For the dollars you'd want it to last forever. But it probably won't. And why doesn't panel info on the expensive machine show you as much stuff as even the cheap ones from from the '80s and '90s? Can anyone explain that? They all seem to have the same blue LED readout.

For day to day 'in your living room' use is a less than one hundred dollar DVD player as capable as a 'dedicated' CD player. Is there a real difference? Cheap DVD player sure doesn't look as nice as the expensive spread.

Recently moved a PC from my living room, losing all my digits in the process. Dug out an 'old' Denon DVD player from the bottom of a closet somewhere. It even has 'digital out' for use with an external DAC (coax) but I haven't bothered with that. Next I dusted off boxes of CDs from the basement. Many burned on an ASUS PC burner, using Verbatim CD-R discs, from FLAC files. I can't say I notice a sonic difference between either the discs or the FLAC files. The homemade discs, some 10 years old, still play.

I always disliked the CD form factor. In fact I hate it. I blame Sony and Phillips. What could they have been thinking? Stacked jewel cases always slip and go everywhere; case cover hinges always break; that thing in the middle where you press the disc into fails. Never try to read CD liner notes. Forget about getting a wall poster with your CD. The discs themselves? Always felt unweildy in my fumble fingers. Where is my green felt tipped market, and stabilizing rings?

As far as PCs? I always had an optical burner. If and when I buy a new PC I'll probably have another installed. They are inexpensive. Why not? Even if I never use it, I just want to see it on the front. Which brings me to another complaint--why don't you get more USB ports on the front of a PC? And why don't they come in impressive colors, like those old SGI machines? Iris Indigo? Or the Indy?

Nice summary of cd issues. Especially the wall posters that have come with some of my optical disc sets....they've got some serious fold marks but then so did the vinyl ones that were a bit larger. I've been ripping the cds for years and putting the art/disc in a binder if needed on the jewel case ones, tend to keep the non-jewel box offerings on the main shelf....but definitely this does not lead me into even more fussiness with vinyl :)

OP
M

mvleff

This seems like a lot of $$ for an external optical read/write drive but I might consider it if it would perform more reliably than the two modestly priced (not bottom of the line cheap) LG units I have. Between the two I can generally do anything I need but they don't both do everything equally well which it seems they should. In essence the one serves me for importing to my computer, the other for burning from my computer. How bizarre is this?! Any insights as to whether spending more money might sort this out and allow me to do everything with one drive?
Also please educate me about M-DISCS. What are their virtues?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the parameters of the unequal performance?

Middle Earth

Also please educate me about M-DISCS. What are their virtues?
“M-DISC is an archival-quality storage solution that preserves photos, videos, music, and documents for 1,000 years or more.

Unlike hard drives, flash drives, and other writable media, that can lose data, M-DISC has been designed to protect your information from degradation and loss for centuries.”

4.7 GB in increments to

“M-DISC 100 GB Blu-ray Disc​

M-DISC recordable 100 gigabyte discs are among the first super-capacity discs to be made available to consumers globally.

Now large corporations, data libraries, universities, and home users all have access to huge capacity on a single instrument. With tri-layer technology, 100 gigabyte discs require a BD-XL Blu-ray writer to engrave successfully.”

They are spendy compared to regular CD or Blu-ray but for storage of my digital albums I am impressed with their stability. The data is engraved.
500 GB for $57 which I would trust more than a 1T or 10T SSD

As to the external drive I got and linked, it is very well made and worth every penny in my opinion.

More info here for what I got specifically.

Verbatim M DISC BDXL 100GB 6X with Branded Surface Blank Blu-Ray Recordable Media – 5pk Jewel Case Box,Blue https://a.co/d/46KZbF2

OP
M

mvleff

I have to admit, I'm having a hard time understanding why a CDR would be preferable to USB thumb drive, sorry.

CDR is now a legacy format, so I have to imagine it's more expensive than it used to be, and prices are only going to continue going up media as NOS stock becomes more scarce.

USB is going to be cheaper, easier and immune to being scratched :)

Thankfully this issue can be easily addressed with a half-decent USB hub with a dedicated power supply , if necessary.
I'm one of those old farts who, alongside my up to date tech, love my "legacy" gear. I actually sometimes play LPs. Wow! At my age I'm never going to get around to transferring all of my cassettes to digital. And with my arthritis those tiny controls on a thumb drive are just beyond me. And don't get me going about trying to read the display! And there's the thumb drive that just a few minutes ago I thought I'd misplaced; not likely I'm gonna lose the CD player on my shelf. I know, someone out the is rolling their eyes and thinking something along the lines of me not knowing the difference between apples and oranges. (I'll let you puzzle over that remark.) But seriously, I love thumb drives when it suits me. I hope restorer-john doesn't mind me quoting him: "One thing about ASR is members just cannot resist telling you how you should be listening, recording and generally consuming your music and what media (if any) you should be using (according to their group think policy). Just ignore anyone who doesn't answer your question is the best policy." - But I do appreciate the thought about using a USB hub with a dedicated power supply; is there one you would particularly recommend? - And now back to checking the tracking force of the cartridge on my turntable.

OP
M

mvleff

What are the parameters of the unequal performance?
As I said, I can import from the one to my computer with the one and burn from my computer to a blank disc with the other but not visa versa. Not sure what I can add to that.
I'm one of those old farts who, alongside my up to date tech, love my "legacy" gear. I actually sometimes play LPs. Wow! At my age I'm never going to get around to transferring all of my cassettes to digital. And with my arthritis those tiny controls on a thumb drive are just beyond me. And don't get me going about trying to read the display! And there's the thumb drive that just a few minutes ago I thought I'd misplaced; not likely I'm gonna lose the CD player on my shelf. I know, someone out the is rolling their eyes and thinking something along the lines of me not knowing the difference between apples and oranges. (I'll let you puzzle over that remark.) But seriously, I love thumb drives when it suits me. I hope restorer-john doesn't mind me quoting him: "One thing about ASR is members just cannot resist telling you how you should be listening, recording and generally consuming your music and what media (if any) you should be using (according to their group think policy). Just ignore anyone who doesn't answer your question is the best policy." - But I do appreciate the thought about using a USB hub with a dedicated power supply; is there one you would particularly recommend? - And now back to checking the tracking force of the cartridge on my turntable.

Top Bottom