• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recordable CDs - HELP!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As I said, I can import from the one to my computer with the one and burn from my computer to a blank disc with the other but not visa versa. Not sure what I can add to that.
I was thinking of performance a different way. What are the two specific units we're talking about?

OP
M

mvleff

Can't find the post that suggested "using a USB hub with a dedicated power supply." I think it was restorer-john. Hey r-j if you see this or anyone out there, got a recommendation for a specific powered USB hub? I don't want to spend my $$ blindly even if it's just a small investment.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm one of those old farts who, alongside my up to date tech, love my "legacy" gear.
Right now I'm playing a recording (Beatrice Rana, piano) of Bach's Goldberg Variations on a Fiio M3K, a miniature digital audio player - AKA DAP - that can hold up to 2TB of music in a wide variety of formats, from lo-bit MP3 to high resolution FLAC. No longer in production, now a legacy format.

And so it goes.

OP
M

mvleff

Right now I'm playing a recording (Beatrice Rana, piano) of Bach's Goldberg Variations on a Fiio M3K, a miniature digital audio player - AKA DAP - that can hold up to 2TB of music in a wide variety of formats, from lo-bit MP3 to high resolution FLAC. No longer in production, now a legacy format.

And so it goes.
Shall we observe a moment of silence for all legacy formats?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Shall we observe a moment of silence for all legacy formats?

A moment for respect and to give thanks.

If it wasn't for all the legacy formats, their originators and the engineers that fought tooth and nail to bring technology out of the laboratory and into the hands of consumers, we'd be arguing about what wax sounds best on our wax cylinder players...

1703456591132.png

Robin L

Master Contributor

If it wasn't for all the legacy formats, their originators and the engineers that fought tooth and nail to bring technology out of the laboratory and into the hands of consumers, we'd be arguing about what wax sounds best on our wax cylinder players...

View attachment 336854
Worked at a shop in the 1970s that sold both the cylinders and the players. Also your choice of steel or pine needles.

OP
M

mvleff

Yes, those two. Can't even remember ever using either with DVDs.

View attachment 336854
Hey r-j, always enjoy your contributions. Don't know if you noticed my query a few posts back: "Can't find the post that suggested "using a USB hub with a dedicated power supply." I think it was restorer-john. Hey r-j if you see this or anyone out there, got a recommendation for a specific powered USB hub? I don't want to spend my $$ blindly even if it's just a small investment.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure all the settings in the computer are compliant?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the thought but this is above my pay grade. I imagine the settings are all default.
I don't trust default settings that much :)

ps might also make sure all drivers are up to date....

OP
M

mvleff

I don't trust default settings that much :)

ps might also make sure all drivers are up to date....
All I can say is I do frequently get automated updates. Other than that, this really is a bit above my lay grade.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yes, those two. Can't even remember ever using either with DVDs.

Hey r-j, always enjoy your contributions. Don't know if you noticed my query a few posts back: "Can't find the post that suggested "using a USB hub with a dedicated power supply." I think it was restorer-john. Hey r-j if you see this or anyone out there, got a recommendation for a specific powered USB hub? I don't want to spend my $$ blindly even if it's just a small investment.

I'd mentioned someplace about USB port current playing vs burning can often exceed the port ratings- that's all.

The solution is usually a twin USB A to B cable or a powered hub. Or just plug the burner into a PC with a 'blue' USB A port. They are usually C rated with faster speed and tons more current.

Last edited:
OP
M

mvleff

I'd mentioned someplace about USB port current playing vs burning can often exceed the port ratings- that's all.

The solution is usually a twin USB A to B cable or a powered hub. Or just plug the burner into a PC with a 'blue' USB A port. They are usually C rated with faster speed and tons more current.
Well, guess what sports fans! A light bulb went on and remembered that I have a powered USB hub (mine practically a legacy item) that I'd retired some while back. (My laptop does have a thunderbolt port that's permanently occupied and no blue USB-A port.) Dug it out of a drawer, hooked everything up and, shazzam, now both external drives work perfectly! Guess I'd convinced myself I needed a new drive some time ago when I really didn't. Time for a dope slap! Thanks to anyone who contributed to getting me back on the righteous path. Especially restorer-john.

Top Bottom