• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation to replace E50 + L50 + PA5 stack

baumy

Long time listener, first time caller

I currently have the stack in the title and have been bitten by the same PA5 issues as everyone else. Trying to find a good replacement and the closest I can find is the E70 + L70 + PA7 stack, but I'm hesitant to get a topping amp again for obvious reasons. Things I really like about my stack that I'm hoping not to give up -

- Physical switches to toggle between inputs, on both the headphone amp and the speaker amp. I have both a laptop and a desktop hooked up to the same pair of headphones and the same speakers, and can easily toggle between the two sources and the two outputs
- They're about 5" high stacked, which allows them to fit nicely in the space I have
- Really good quality (when they worked)

My headphones are sennheiser HD800S, those aren't getting replaced anytime soon
Speakers are currently Klipsch RP-600M, will get replaced later this year with KEF R3 Meta. I sit about 2 feet from the speakers in a ~120 sqft room, they don't need to get horrendously loud

Anyone have a recommendation? Haven't found anything that seems nearly as suitable as the E70 + L70 + PA7, but would prefer to avoid topping. Budget is very flexible

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the SMSL HO200 DO200 MKII stack and love it. Microdetails and better dynamics, it's the fun stack.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Keep that E70. Keep that L70. List the PA5 on Craigslist and buy the Schitt Gally-Horn (however the hell it's spelled). Now, people on here are going to tell you that it's underpowered, only 15 going into 4. Pay them no mind. I'm willing to bet that it's twice rated power, Schitt underrates their products. With your speakers there will be no problem playing loud with your setup. And Schitt has a great reputation for backing their products and making a high quality product.

OP
B

baumy

@Dunring I hadn't seen those before! Thank you, that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have a speaker amp you're using with that?

edit: just found the AO200 which seems like it's meant to go with it. wish the AO200 had hardware switches but otherwise looks pretty darn good

Last edited:
Top Bottom