• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation request thread

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Should I buy the Sundara or the Aeon Open RT/Aeon Closed (non RT)? I like the Sennheiser sound. I'm a little sensitive with treble fatigue but I'm not picky. For what I could gather the Sundara would be more airy and the Aeon Open RT would have more low-end.

But I'm having a hard time find comparisons with these, in fact it's hard to find reviews on the Open RT.
You might have got your RT's muddled up, but not sure. In terms of frequency responses have a look here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets
and
https://headphonedatabase.com/oratory/headphones
And then you can make some comparisons and work out which one has the right tonality for you.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Need a recommendation for open back and closed back headphones for $200.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Need a recommendation for open back and closed back headphones for $200.
For closed back you could think about these:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...commendation-request-thread.20261/post-805043

For open back it's a bit more tricky. I'm gonna give you two recommendations in that price range. First I'm gonna say Drop Hifiman HE4XX, that with an Oratory EQ is the most impressive headphone for me tonality wise and just totally Hifi :D:p with that combination the minute you listen to it, bass is awesome with fantastic clarity of that bass, and it's just the most strikingly balanced tonality I've ever heard in a headphone with the Oratory EQ on that one. Soundstage is also pretty good on the HE4XX. My second recommendation would be K702 for it's soundstage & detail once EQ'd to the Harman Curve, but it has some drawbacks like solder failing in the earcups after months/years which means resoldering them, also distortion is higher in K702 but shouldn't be a problem based on measurements from Oratory (although from Amir's recent K7XX review he detected distortion where I think he praps shouldn't have done according to the measurements, so distortion may or may not be a problem with the K702....Oratory thinks no problem with the distortion measurements he did on it for instance). K702 is also more expensive in USA vs Europe/UK. So K702 might be your choice if you like living a little more risky & if soundstage is the most important thing in headphones for you, whilst the HE4XX is safer. I prefer my K702, both headphones have Oratory EQ's out there if you want to use them. If you don't get involved in the soundstage and don't listen super critically then HE4XX is the most impressive headphone, seriously impressive. (HE4XX still has good soundstage though, just not as good as K702) I'm not talking stock, only with Harman Curve EQ's as I don't use headphones at stock. HE4XX has low unit to unit variation according to Oratory, one of the best he's seen from that point of view I think, and also the variation from headphone placement on your head from one placement to the next is really consistent.....so given those 2 controlled variables I think that's how the Oratory EQ really nails the tonality perfectly on that particular headphone....there's just not much variation to be seen in that headphone.

(K702 thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-akg-k702-has-been-measured-by-oratory.22992/ )

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For closed back you could think about these:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...commendation-request-thread.20261/post-805043

For open back it's a bit more tricky. I'm gonna give you two recommendations in that price range. First I'm gonna say Drop Hifiman HE4XX, that with an Oratory EQ is the most impressive headphone for me tonality wise and just totally Hifi :D:p with that combination the minute you listen to it, bass is awesome with fantastic clarity of that bass, and it's just the most strikingly balanced tonality I've ever heard in a headphone with the Oratory EQ on that one. Soundstage is also pretty good on the HE4XX. My second recommendation would be K702 for it's soundstage & detail once EQ'd to the Harman Curve, but it has some drawbacks like solder failing in the earcups after months/years which means resoldering them, also distortion is higher in K702 but shouldn't be a problem based on measurements from Oratory (although from Amir's recent K7XX review he detected distortion where I think he praps shouldn't have done according to the measurements, so distortion may or may not be a problem with the K702....Oratory thinks no problem with the distortion measurements he did on it for instance). K702 is also more expensive in USA vs Europe/UK. So K702 might be your choice if you like living a little more risky & if soundstage is the most important thing in headphones for you, whilst the HE4XX is safer. I prefer my K702, both headphones have Oratory EQ's out there if you want to use them. If you don't get involved in the soundstage and don't listen super critically then HE4XX is the most impressive headphone, seriously impressive. I'm not talking stock, only with Harman Curve EQ's as I don't use headphones at stock. HE4XX has low unit to unit variation according to Oratory, one of the best he's seen from that point of view I think, and also the variation from headphone placement on your head from one placement to the next is really consistent.....so given those 2 controlled variables I think that's how the Oratory EQ really nails the tonality perfectly on that particular headphone....there's just not much variation to be seen in that headphone.
K702 thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-akg-k702-has-been-measured-by-oratory.22992/

Thank you for your recommendations, I definitely want to get open backs that have a good wide sound stage and feel like those He4xx will definitely do the job. Come to think of it I am hesitating on closed backs due to the narrow stage and feel like I wouldn’t enjoy listening to music compared to an open back that I’ve always had.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your recommendations, I definitely want to get open backs that have a good wide sound stage and feel like those He4xx will definitely do the job. Come to think of it I am hesitating on closed backs due to the narrow stage and feel like I wouldn’t enjoy listening to music compared to an open back that I’ve always had.
Re soundstage, I have 3 open backed headphones (K702 / HE4XX / & HD600) and from best to worst that's the order in which they sit for soundstage, and in terms of all my headphones ranked for soundstage from best to worst it goes: K702 / HE4XX / NAD HP50 / HD600. So my HP50 is a closed back headphone yet has better soundstage than the open backed HD600, but I think it's generally true that open-backed headphones have better soundstage. If you get the HE4XX then you don't really need a closed back because with Oratory EQ the bass is EQ'd up to the Harman Curve all the way down to 20Hz, so you get full & clean bass extension on those open-backed headphones.....which is often a reason people get closed backs because they generally can have effortless deep bass, an EQ'd HE4XX (being planar) is one of the few open-backed headphones that can do proper convincing bass all the way down to 20Hz. Yes, so if you get HE4XX (and use EQ) then there's no reason to get a closed-back unless you want the sound isolation.

Last edited:

mysiak

My Beyerdynamic DT990 pro "died" today (after more than 10 years one driver started to play quieter and seems to be missing some frequencies), so I'm on a lookout for a replacement. :)

Budget: 200 EUR, but could probably stretch it up to 300 EUR if it's really worth it (preferring a new pair due to warranty)

Form factor: over ear, open or semi open

Use case: casual listening - movies, games, music,..

Source information: Creative GC7 (10 ohm output impedance, "drives headphones up to 300 ohm" - the amp drives inefficient DT990s 250ohm perfectly fine)

Things that are important to you: long term comfort (not too tight, no hotspot on the headband), velour ear pads, availability and low price of replacement pads (original or 3rd party), detachable cable to one side only, I don't mind to EQ the headphones as long as the desired result's achievable with 10 band graphical equalizer

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: Beyerdynamic DT990 (too much treble, but I liked them otherwise), Fostex T50RP MK3 (my current "main" headphones which I like a lot, but treble needs fixing with EQ too), AKG K240MKII (meh sound, but I didn't mind the form factor and actually liked the self-adjusting headband), Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (with velour pads, my current "fun" headphones, but I like open headphones more in general). Hifiman HE400se was dead-on-arrival for me, so I have no trust in this company.

What I consider:
Sennheiser HD560S - I tried HD650 in a shop, which I liked a lot in terms of sound, but the oval ear pads were very uncomfortable for my head/ears. I'm a little afraid that HD560S will exhibit the very same comfort issue. After market pads might solve the comfort problem, but sound signature will most probably change too much.

Philips X2HR - I am not so convinced about their sound signature + they have limited availability of ear pads or replacement parts in general.

AKG K702 - not sure that their frequency response can be "fixed" with 10 band GEQ easily, also reports of failing headband + soldering issues are kind of scary :)

I am not sure that headphones which I would like even exist, but I am open to any suggestions. The "worst case" scenario is that I will just keep using Custom One Pro headphones and switch to Koss Porta Pro when I feel the need for casual open headphones, but I would be missing the perfect opportunity to buy a new gear.. :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Beyerdynamic DT990 pro "died" today (after more than 10 years one driver started to play quieter and seems to be missing some frequencies), so I'm on a lookout for a replacement. :)

Budget: 200 EUR, but could probably stretch it up to 300 EUR if it's really worth it (preferring a new pair due to warranty)

Form factor: over ear, open or semi open

Use case: casual listening - movies, games, music,..

Source information: Creative GC7 (10 ohm output impedance, "drives headphones up to 300 ohm" - the amp drives inefficient DT990s 250ohm perfectly fine)

Things that are important to you: long term comfort (not too tight, no hotspot on the headband), velour ear pads, availability and low price of replacement pads (original or 3rd party), detachable cable to one side only, I don't mind to EQ the headphones as long as the desired result's achievable with 10 band graphical equalizer

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: Beyerdynamic DT990 (too much treble, but I liked them otherwise), Fostex T50RP MK3 (my current "main" headphones which I like a lot, but treble needs fixing with EQ too), AKG K240MKII (meh sound, but I didn't mind the form factor and actually liked the self-adjusting headband), Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (with velour pads, my current "fun" headphones, but I like open headphones more in general). Hifiman HE400se was dead-on-arrival for me, so I have no trust in this company.

What I consider:
Sennheiser HD560S - I tried HD650 in a shop, which I liked a lot in terms of sound, but the oval ear pads were very uncomfortable for my head/ears. I'm a little afraid that HD560S will exhibit the very same comfort issue. After market pads might solve the comfort problem, but sound signature will most probably change too much.

Philips X2HR - I am not so convinced about their sound signature + they have limited availability of ear pads or replacement parts in general.

AKG K702 - not sure that their frequency response can be "fixed" with 10 band GEQ easily, also reports of failing headband + soldering issues are kind of scary :)

I am not sure that headphones which I would like even exist, but I am open to any suggestions. The "worst case" scenario is that I will just keep using Custom One Pro headphones and switch to Koss Porta Pro when I feel the need for casual open headphones, but I would be missing the perfect opportunity to buy a new gear.. :)
You're a tough one here, because lots of requirements/restrictions. :D So maybe I can ask you some questions & make some observations that might narrow down the attributes that you like in a headphone, and might help other people make you some recommendations too.

You might want to consider using PEQ rather than GEQ, do you really want less flexibility with your EQ's? Plus most quality published EQ's are based on PEQ, which gives you more "bonafide" EQ's to choose from (like Oratory).

What kind of bass level are you after? Are you a Harman Curve lover, have you tried Harman Curve EQ's?

I noticed you say you really liked the HD650 experience apart from the physical discomfort of the pads/design. Given you liked this headphone, and this headphone has quite a limited narrow soundstage, then maybe you're not necessarily after a soundstage headphone as a priority. Pity I couldn't have recommended you the HD600 as it probably requires even less EQ than the HD650, but of course it's exactly the same physical design in terms of comfort on your ears, so we can't recommend you HD600.

You don't have any faith in Hifiman & won't consider them as you had one arrive dead on you. I suppose that throws out planar headphones as part of the equation, because I believe that Hifiman are the only ones that offer planar in your budget, but not 100% sure on this.

You probably don't want a closed back headphone because you talk about comfort & hot spots, and closed backs make your ears noticeably warm, so I guess we can rule out closed backs.

Maybe for you if you were willing to go PEQ instead of GEQ then you get that K702 you talked about, but maybe a cheap used pair - that way if they break due to solder issue then it isn't such a big deal & also wouldn't be such a big deal to learn how to solder on them if they're cheap. K702 are exceedingly comfortable & light & breatheable on ears - most so out of my other headphones. There's an Oratory PEQ, and he sent me a graph showing new pads vs old pads on the K702, so it's possible to change the EQ if using a K702 with old pads (it would be one or two Low Shelf Filters joined together to go from new pads to old pads - I haven't created the EQ yet, but easy for me to do). I wouldn't recommend the K702 unless you go with PEQ though, because there is no bonafide GEQ EQ for that headphone yet, and it might not lend itself well to GEQ like you mentioned......and also if you're ok getting a cheap used one so you can practice your soldering skills if it does break. K702 is a soundstage headphone for sure, and that doesn't seem to be your priority if you liked the HD650....but an improved soundstage wouldn't hurt I guess, and I think it has your other requirements you mentioned, for instance one of them being the headphone cable on just one side, and K702 a very good gaming headphone (you mentioned games). K702 is not affected much by different ohm amps (you have 10ohm amp) as seen in following pic which is at solderdude's website at the link in brackets (https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/akg/k702/), note frequency response looks a bit strange in following pic as measurement was done on a flat plate but doesn't matter for ohm comparison:
1625771184726.png

I dunno, you're tricky! :D

EDIT: hopefully some other people can add some recommendations, as I've been monopolising this thread recently, and I'm a bit out of ideas on this one anyway, lol!

Last edited:

mysiak

Thank you for your time to read and answer my post @Robbo99999. :)

My comments:
- PEQ vs GEQ - on my PC, which is my main source for music I use PEQ exclusively. But this quest is to find headphones for my "fun zone" - smart TV with PS4 console. :) There I'm limited by DSP features of Creative GC7 which sadly offers only GEQ. The sound chain is PS4 -> hdmi -> TV -> optical dolby digital -> Creative GC7 -> 3.5mm headphones.
- bass - I am a fan of bassy sound, but it should be clean. It's probably safe to say that I like Harman curve (for games/movies I tend to add even more bass below ~100Hz). This is usually easily achieved with a simple EQ, or some clever DSP tricks ("extra bass" feature of Creative DAC/amp).
- soundstage - I never paid too much attention to this attribute, doing A/B comparison with different EQ settings I prefer when the sound "opens up", but it's not a must have feature. I use DSP with virtual surround (either a generic one, or tailored to ones ears - SXFI), which I find especially nice for games and movies. When listening to music I keep such feature at low level, just to avoid hard left/right channel separation. I haven't listened to "pure headphones stereo" sound in years.
- planars - I already have cheap(ish) Fostex T50RP MK3 and I have zero complaints against planar headphones. It's just that I would like to avoid Hifiman due to their quality control. I might re-consider purchasing HE400se (probably the only model fitting my budget), but I didn't really like their weight and stock cable would require immediate replacement (which to my surprise isn't really available for purchase locally).
- closed back headphones - I already have them and even if they feel quite open (Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro with velour pads), I still somehow prefer really open headphones. It's not about sound quality difference, but a physical (?) feeling of closed/open air flow around my ears. Open ones are much more "natural" for me.

I suppose that you are really happy with AKG K702 as you recommend them quite often, I will try to see if I can audition them in some shop. :) I shouldn't need to bother with re-soldering within 2 years warranty window, but hopefully they'll last longer.

Btw. I "translated" PEQ to GEQ a couple of times already, I start with some well known preset (e.g. Oratory), fine tune it to my preference and then I try to match the PEQ curve with GEQ in Peace equalizer GUI (result is then used on a smartphone or Creative DAC/amp). It certainly isn't 100% accurate, but if PEQ isn't too complex, I'm able to achieve "close enough" results, which are completely fine for movies/games/casual music listening. If that would be the case also with AKG K702, I guess I have the #1 candidate for a new purchase. :) Also I'll give Sennheiser HD560s/600 another chance, just to make sure that my first impression about their comfort is still valid.

I am in no hurry to buy new headphones, other suggestions/recommendations are still welcome. :)

In each case, thank you again for your time.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your time to read and answer my post @Robbo99999. :)

My comments:
- PEQ vs GEQ - on my PC, which is my main source for music I use PEQ exclusively. But this quest is to find headphones for my "fun zone" - smart TV with PS4 console. :) There I'm limited by DSP features of Creative GC7 which sadly offers only GEQ. The sound chain is PS4 -> hdmi -> TV -> optical dolby digital -> Creative GC7 -> 3.5mm headphones.
- bass - I am a fan of bassy sound, but it should be clean. It's probably safe to say that I like Harman curve (for games/movies I tend to add even more bass below ~100Hz). This is usually easily achieved with a simple EQ, or some clever DSP tricks ("extra bass" feature of Creative DAC/amp).
- soundstage - I never paid too much attention to this attribute, doing A/B comparison with different EQ settings I prefer when the sound "opens up", but it's not a must have feature. I use DSP with virtual surround (either a generic one, or tailored to ones ears - SXFI), which I find especially nice for games and movies. When listening to music I keep such feature at low level, just to avoid hard left/right channel separation. I haven't listened to "pure headphones stereo" sound in years.
- planars - I already have cheap(ish) Fostex T50RP MK3 and I have zero complaints against planar headphones. It's just that I would like to avoid Hifiman due to their quality control. I might re-consider purchasing HE400se (probably the only model fitting my budget), but I didn't really like their weight and stock cable would require immediate replacement (which to my surprise isn't really available for purchase locally).
- closed back headphones - I already have them and even if they feel quite open (Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro with velour pads), I still somehow prefer really open headphones. It's not about sound quality difference, but a physical (?) feeling of closed/open air flow around my ears. Open ones are much more "natural" for me.

I suppose that you are really happy with AKG K702 as you recommend them quite often, I will try to see if I can audition them in some shop. :) I shouldn't need to bother with re-soldering within 2 years warranty window, but hopefully they'll last longer.

Btw. I "translated" PEQ to GEQ a couple of times already, I start with some well known preset (e.g. Oratory), fine tune it to my preference and then I try to match the PEQ curve with GEQ in Peace equalizer GUI (result is then used on a smartphone or Creative DAC/amp). It certainly isn't 100% accurate, but if PEQ isn't too complex, I'm able to achieve "close enough" results, which are completely fine for movies/games/casual music listening. If that would be the case also with AKG K702, I guess I have the #1 candidate for a new purchase. :) Also I'll give Sennheiser HD560s/600 another chance, just to make sure that my first impression about their comfort is still valid.

I am in no hurry to buy new headphones, other suggestions/recommendations are still welcome. :)

In each case, thank you again for your time.
Ah, you mention HD600 again, if you somehow find them more comfortable when you try them again, then that would be the one to get as nothing really needs to be done to it apart from giving it some bass boost, equivalent of Low Shelf at 75Hz, +3dB, Q0.7 (not quite Harman level bass boost, but for that headphone in particular I think it's a perfect match). K702 should help your virtual 7.1 surround sound gaming, I do a lot of that and K702 provides the best result with most situational awareness of enemy positions (I use SoundblasterX G6, 30% Surround Sound on the surround sound variable) - I'm sure this is related to the soundstage abilities of my headphones, as K702 is the best for this & HD600 is the worst. Regarding translating PEQ to GEQ, you could use REW (https://www.roomeqwizard.com/) to help you match to the curve more accurately than eyeballing the graph window in Peace. (You can use VirtuixCAD program and the SPL Trace tool within that program to scan visual graphs and turn them into text file data points that you can import into REW to as either Targets or measurements for EQ.)

Last edited:

mysiak

Ah, you mention HD600 again, if you somehow find them more comfortable when you try them again, then that would be the one to get as nothing really needs to be done to it apart from giving it some bass boost, equivalent of Low Shelf at 75Hz, +3dB, Q0.7 (not quite Harman level bass boost, but for that headphone in particular I think it's a perfect match). K702 should help your virtual 7.1 surround sound gaming, I do a lot of that and K702 provides the best result with most situational awareness of enemy positions (I use SoundblasterX G6, 30% Surround Sound on the surround sound variable) - I'm sure this is related to the soundstage abilities of my headphones, as K702 is the best for this & HD600 is the worst. Regarding translating PEQ to GEQ, you could use REW (https://www.roomeqwizard.com/) to help you match to the curve more accurately than eyeballing the graph window in Peace. (You can use VirtuixCAD program and the SPL Trace tool within that program to scan visual graphs and turn them into text file data points that you can import into REW to as either Targets or measurements for EQ.)
Thank you for the further inputs. At the moment I have 2 candidates - AKG K702 and Sennheiser HD560s. None will be perfect - AKG has more expensive ear pads, failing headband and fragile soldering; Sennheiser will be probably less comfortable, even though 560s seem to have different ear pads than HD600/650, which could be an important factor. 560s should have response quite similar to HD600/650 models, so they are probably a little easier to "fix" with GEQ.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the further inputs. At the moment I have 2 candidates - AKG K702 and Sennheiser HD560s. None will be perfect - AKG has more expensive ear pads, failing headband and fragile soldering; Sennheiser will be probably less comfortable, even though 560s seem to have different ear pads than HD600/650, which could be an important factor. 560s should have response quite similar to HD600/650 models, so they are probably a little easier to "fix" with GEQ.
That HD560S looks like a nice smooth frequency response and not far off Harman, and more bass than the HD600 as an added bonus:
Harman 2018-Sennheiser HD560S-Sennheiser HD600.png

Did I hear HD560s has angled pads? If so then it might well have a good soundstage. I would imagine the HD560s is fixable with GEQ judging by how inoffensive the frequency response is & how close it is to Harman. I haven't looked at any reviews (technical) or otherwise of the HD560s, but the frequency response looks good. I'd say go for the HD560s then, as you don't have the soldering problems of the K702. Check out some reviews (distortion, etc) of the HD560s just to make sure it's not got some horrendous issue.

EDIT: pads don't look angled. But read that it has angled drivers instead - that's good.

EDIT#2: would be interesting to see the HD560s tested by Amir.

Last edited:

mysiak

That HD560S looks like a nice smooth frequency response and not far off Harman, and more bass than the HD600 as an added bonus:
View attachment 140091
Did I hear HD560s has angled pads? If so then it might well have a good soundstage. I would imagine the HD560s is fixable with GEQ judging by how inoffensive the frequency response is & how close it is to Harman. I haven't looked at any reviews (technical) or otherwise of the HD560s, but the frequency response looks good. I'd say go for the HD560s then, as you don't have the soldering problems of the K702. Check out some reviews (distortion, etc) of the HD560s just to make sure it's not got some horrendous issue.

EDIT: pads don't look angled. But read that it has angled drivers instead - that's good.

EDIT#2: would be interesting to see the HD560s tested by Amir.
HD560s have angled drivers as you found out which should be good as you say. I noticed that Koss Porta Pro which sit on ear directly with low clamping force, so are technically angled have very good "soundstage" - these are the only headphones which I can use without any crossfeed/virtualization effect. I am not sure if that's the main reason of this outcome, but I like it. :)

Btw. I forgot about Philips X2HR headphones - these seem to fit into all of my expectations, have angled drivers and I am pretty sure that would fit my head comfortably as they use round earpads + suspension headband. I know that original earpads are unavailable, but it should be possible to use any 3rd party earpads with the right adapter (I already have a couple of such earpads at hand). Reading review by Solderdude I'm a little afraid of the quality control though. I would have to purchase them from Amazon UK and any returns would be quite a hustle (and costly). They seem to have higher distortion than Sennheiser HD560s, but I am not really expecting to hear such a difference (I was using Beyerdynamic DT990 for years and didn't notice any distortion, even if they measure terribly).

Any long term owner who could chime in about build quality of X2HR after a few years of usage..? :)

Harman 2018-Sennheiser HD560S-Philips Fidelio X2HR.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
HD560s have angled drivers as you found out which should be good as you say. I noticed that Koss Porta Pro which sit on ear directly with low clamping force, so are technically angled have very good "soundstage" - these are the only headphones which I can use without any crossfeed/virtualization effect. I am not sure if that's the main reason of this outcome, but I like it. :)

Btw. I forgot about Philips X2HR headphones - these seem to fit into all of my expectations, have angled drivers and I am pretty sure that would fit my head comfortably as they use round earpads + suspension headband. I know that original earpads are unavailable, but it should be possible to use any 3rd party earpads with the right adapter (I already have a couple of such earpads at hand). Reading review by Solderdude I'm a little afraid of the quality control though. I would have to purchase them from Amazon UK and any returns would be quite a hustle (and costly). They seem to have higher distortion than Sennheiser HD560s, but I am not really expecting to hear such a difference (I was using Beyerdynamic DT990 for years and didn't notice any distortion, even if they measure terribly).

Any long term owner who could chime in about build quality of X2HR after a few years of usage..? :)

View attachment 140254
HD560s looks a bit better in the treble and bit less jagged, bass might be easy to EQ up with GEQ too.....I don't know if you can stipulate where the GEQ bands are, I suspect not, so have a play with the different frequency responses to see how easy you can GEQ each one.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Robbo99999 I bought a pair of Hifiman HE4xx and Sennheiser HD560s instead of getting one pair of open backs. I've always loved Sennheiser headphones and had a pair of HD555 for more than a decade before the driver blew out so i thought i might as well get one for keep sakes.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Robbo99999 I bought a pair of Hifiman HE4xx and Sennheiser HD560s instead of getting one pair of open backs. I've always loved Sennheiser headphones and had a pair of HD555 for more than a decade before the driver blew out so i thought i might as well get one for keep sakes.
Ah, you went for the HE4XX I recommended you, when does it arrive? When does the HD560s arrive? I nearly bought an HD560s myself yesterday!

EDIT: one thing about the HD560s that I found out late yesterday was this:
https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/UqNotbdG/sennheiser-hd-560s/rear-large.jpg
I didn't like the pretty large air gaps at the bottom of the pads where you see it's not sealing behind the ear at the bottom. I'm not sure how representative this is of fitting on a human head, but after visualising the structure & movement of the headband & earcups I came to a tenuous conclusion that the earcups might not move around very forgivingly & flexibly to fit the angles & contours of all our variable heads. There doesn't look like they'd be much free-play in the HD560s mounting system. If you notice the K702 is more flexible in it's design and seems to move in "all dimensions" to fit a variable head:
https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/0I6Etcjt/akg-k702/rear-large.jpg
They're different dummy heads, so I'm not sure how valid my above little comparison is. I dunno, I'm not gonna buy the HD560s just yet, but I am tempted!

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The HE4xx arrive tueday, and the 560s arrive tomorrow. I've already downloaded my PEQ file for the HE4xx and 560s, listening tests begin as soon as they arrive.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The HE4xx arrive tueday, and the 560s arrive tomorrow. I've already downloaded my PEQ file for the HE4xx and 560s, listening tests begin as soon as they arrive.
Nice, good call! If I was you I wouldn't even listen to them at stock, I'd put the EQ on (I guess Oratory's) and then listen to them EQ'd like that immediately, I'd do the same for when the HE4XX arrives & for when you compare them against one another. The reason being is that your brain will fairly quickly adapt to the stock sound of a headphone as long as it's not a really horrid frequency response, so it's probably better to not train your brain into bad habits. Have you got other headphones that you currently own that are EQ'd to the Harman Curve - you can compare them to get a feeling of if any improvements with your latest purchase, and can compare soundstage, etc? Have you ever listened to a headphone EQ'd to the Harman Curve.....do you know yet whether you are a Harman Curve fan or not? Not everyone likes the Harman Curve, but a lot of people do (most), and first port of call is to tweak the Gain (increase or decrease dB) on the Low Shelf Bass Filter to get the bass level balanced to your preference.....because it's possible you won't like the stock Harman Curve level of bass, but again most people are ok with the stock Harman Curve bass level. Do you have any flat reference speakers you can compare your headphones against.....in terms of judging if tonality is right, it's ok if you don't, I'm just trying to guage what kind of listening comparisons you can make when your new headphones arrive? I'm certainly interested in what you think to the HD560s considering I'm playing with the idea of buying them.....and of course I'll be interested in how you get on with the HE4XX, and I hope my recommendation for that headphone will have been warranted.

EDIT: mind you the HD560s stock frequency response is similar to HD600 (which is good without EQ) and it's also close to Harman, so for the HD560s I wouldn't be quite as stringent saying you shouldn't listen to the HD560s at stock for fear of bad habits, but the HE4XX is really a long way off the Harman Curve, so I certainly don't recommend you burn-in your brain to the sound of the stock HE4XX, definitely use EQ on the HE4XX as soon as you get it.

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, good call! If I was you I wouldn't even listen to them at stock, I'd put the EQ on (I guess Oratory's) and then listen to them EQ'd like that immediately, I'd do the same for when the HE4XX arrives & for when you compare them against one another. The reason being is that your brain will fairly quickly adapt to the stock sound of a headphone as long as it's not a really horrid frequency response, so it's probably better to not train your brain into bad habits. Have you got other headphones that you currently own that are EQ'd to the Harman Curve - you can compare them to get a feeling of if any improvements with your latest purchase, and can compare soundstage, etc? Have you ever listened to a headphone EQ'd to the Harman Curve.....do you know yet whether you are a Harman Curve fan or not? Not everyone likes the Harman Curve, but a lot of people do (most), and first port of call is to tweak the Gain (increase or decrease dB) on the Low Shelf Bass Filter to get the bass level balanced to your preference.....because it's possible you won't like the stock Harman Curve level of bass, but again most people are ok with the stock Harman Curve bass level. Do you have any flat reference speakers you can compare your headphones against.....in terms of judging if tonality is right, it's ok if you don't, I'm just trying to guage what kind of listening comparisons you can make when your new headphones arrive? I'm certainly interested in what you think to the HD560s considering I'm playing with the idea of buying them.....and of course I'll be interested in how you get on with the HE4XX, and I hope my recommendation for that headphone will have been warranted.

EDIT: mind you the HD560s stock frequency response is similar to HD600 (which is good without EQ) and it's also close to Harman, so for the HD560s I wouldn't be quite as stringent saying you shouldn't listen to the HD560s at stock for fear of bad habits, but the HE4XX is really a long way off the Harman Curve, so I certainly don't recommend you burn-in your brain to the sound of the stock HE4XX, definitely use EQ on the HE4XX as soon as you get it.
My usual process of testing is without EQ when i get new headphones and use them for a week prior to making any tweaks. I always find little tidbits of information and how the headphones respond to certain frequencies when testing them out of the box.
I second your suggestion of listnening to them prior to EQ'ing. I do have a pair of Fostex T50rp that are currently EQ'd to harman curve which will serve as a benchmark even though they're not similar to either of the new ones i purchased. I think the 560s shouldn't need much Eq' due to their FR response being fairly neutral, the HE4xx definitely will need it. I also have Grado SR80e that i use often, they are not as neutral but they are also useful for comparison's sake when listening to classical music. I had the HE4xx previously for a month before i gifted them to my sister because i couldn't find the right PEQ for them and i didnt have a good Amp back then to drive them. I since have bought a Sabaj A10h headphone amp that I have been using extensively with the Fostex which have become the daily drivers.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My usual process of testing is without EQ when i get new headphones and use them for a week prior to making any tweaks. I always find little tidbits of information and how the headphones respond to certain frequencies when testing them out of the box.
I second your suggestion of listening to them prior to EQ'ing. I do have a pair of Fostex T50rp that are currently EQ'd to harman curve which will serve as a benchmark even though they're not similar to either of the new ones i purchased. I think the 560s shouldn't need much Eq' due to their FR response being fairly neutral, the HE4xx definitely will need it. I also have Grado SR80e that i use often, they are not as neutral but they are also useful for comparison's sake when listening to classical music. I had the HE4xx previously for a month before i gifted them to my sister because i couldn't find the right PEQ for them and i didnt have a good Amp back then to drive them. I since have bought a Sabaj A10h headphone amp that I have been using extensively with the Fostex which have become the daily drivers.
If you know you like the Harman Curve, then there's no point listening to headphones at stock for a week. I mean maybe for the HD560s because it's so close, but not for the HE4XX. To be honest, after a week of listening to any headphone, that will seriously burn-in your brain to that sound signature, and the more crazy the frequency response is for that headphone then the weirder it will sound when you listen to a headphone that is "statistically" more "accurate" (eg Harman)....really not a fan of your idea of listening to a headphone at stock for a week. I'd recommend fairly short sharp listening tests if using at stock with immediate flipping of Harman EQ on/off to really get to grips with some proper sound comparisons - do it on a short selection of tracks you know really well that cover the main genres you're interested in, but to dense/busy well-recorded music that has instruments or electronica throughout the frequency range from low bass upwards is probably best to gauge general performance / seperation of layers of detail & tonality. No one ever needs to deliberate for a week when just listening at stock, because you can't remember a sound signature for comparison beyond a few seconds (we can't accurately remember how something sounds for more than like 20seconds - it's been proven), so nothing gained from just using a headphone at stock for a week - literally all that will happen is that your brain will get burned-in to the new sound until it sounds "normal" - which is why there was myths going around the internet for years that you need to run your headphones for 200hrs to burn them in.....that's nonsense, instead it's your brain getting used to the new sound.

It's good that you've got other headphones to compare against, and comparing Harman Curve EQ's on all of them might be an elucidating experience for you to arrive at your best headphone.

Re HD560s, I found out that solderdude has reviewed it on his website, he gave it good reviews and the channel matching is very good, plus the distortion (although I need to compare to K702 distortion he measured):
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd-560s/
So I may impulse buy this HD560s once I've compared distortion measurements, although part of me will be miffed if I like it more than my two K702's I've bought, and if I don't like it as much then I should immediately return them (HD560s) because I don't think I'd have anything to learn from keeping them amidst my arsenal of different headphones.

EDIT: I pressed the Buy Button for £169 for the HD560s just now - after comparing distortion measurements on solderdude's website (previous link in this post) it does have lower distortion in the bass than the K702 and in most of the rest of the frequency range....he also showed that bass distortion didn't dramatically rise with a 5dB bass boost whilst also at the same time increasing general playback level from 90 to 95dB....so that would have been an extra 10dB on the bass in total & it not becoming uncontrolled. Given that I've found Channel Matching to be very important on my K702 (which I've exactly frequency matched each channel on my K702 from Oratory's measurements), then I'm a bit hesitant about reaping any benefits from this HD560s which won't have had an exact channel matching EQ done to it, but given channel matching in HD560s was seen at the link above to be very good (almost exact) then praps it's already there in my unit I'll receive. I'll be excited to see how soundstage compares to the K702......the HD560s is arriving tomorrow!

Last edited:
Top Bottom