• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend me some fun speakers for a large room, don't need to be "reference"

ampguy

I have a rectangular lower room about 14' x 20 feet. The key is often the listening is done in an adjacent room or upstairs, so the speakers need to move a lot of air. Passive, I have my own amps and subs. Occassionally I will listen in the room, but more often to a dedicated 7.2 setup (that uses different speakers than the stereo), and of course, people are in the room when the tv monitor is being used.

I currently have some speakers that I won't name, but they have an 8" main driver. Looking for equivalents or upgrades. Floor or stand mounts are OK, I have a sub good down to 30Hz. I disagree with those who think SPL's on or off axis or estimated room output from a Klippel equates to real sound and feel when trying to match 8" speakers that for better or worse (re: linearity) are actively interacting with the carpeted floor and room walls. So please don't send me to some spreadsheet that will point to some 5" active monitors, chances are I've tried them and/or own them.

I own and have tried about 4 pairs of speakers I use elsewhere, that have medium to rave subjective reviews here, sometimes depending on if PEQ applied. I have Roon, but it's not always the source, maybe 75% of the time, with the other 25% being vinyl, cassette, or CD player, or audio mixer for live music. Again, the TV system does not use this pair, it is setup and calibrated, and will remain separate from the audio only system.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What's your budget?
Which country are you located in?
Why do the speakers need to move a lot of air when you have subs? Are the subs part of another system?

OP
A

ampguy

What's your budget?
Which country are you located in?
Why do the speakers need to move a lot of air when you have subs? Are the subs part of another system?
maybe 2K, US, smaller speakers don't feel the same, even if SPL in room is same. Sub is dedicated. There are other subs, not connected to stereo.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
A

ampguy

Lots of nice JBLs on sale right now
The JBLs, I’ve been thinking about are those big old 5x0s that go on big discount between bf and end of year, 570, 580, 590, anyone have these and like them? I’m just not familiar with those linked above

mglobe

Forum Donor
What’s your definition of fun? Big cool looking speakers, retro, capable of high spl, big bass,…?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In that price range I would suggest the Revel F206 Towers.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Not sure if you can still find these but I immediately had to think of

coonmanx

Hi

Cerwin Vega Home Audio XLS-215 15" Dual 3-Way Floor Tower Speaker. Click Here around $800/pair

These speakers would qualify as "fun" and they would own their own against some celebrated speakers, after a bit of EQ...

Measurements from Soundstage Network

Peace.
I was going to recommend Cerwin Vega speakers as well, but the SL Series instead of the XLS series. Lots to choose from and they will definitely "move some air"...

Also at a very reasonable price...

Kevin1956

Used Klipsch Heresy. Stuff them in the corner, on their slant risers, on the floor, firing into the room at a 45 degree angle. You’ll have a large part of the room in the sweet spot, with plenty of bass, blending easily with your sub. Very dynamic sound, able to play at high levels with low distortion. Great resale if you ever decide to sell them and try something else.

OP
A

ampguy

Anyone try those klipsch rp600mk iis? Amir used to do a chart on speaker compression at 80Hz where some klipsch usually scored higher than the revels

1713724933781.png

OP
A

ampguy

Not sure if you can still find these but I immediately had to think of

I’m a little worried these may be on the bright side when listening in room. I have other jbls with same horn tweeter

Waxx

Major Contributor
Bigger Tannoy dual concentrics fit in that. They are not accurate, but a lot of fun. Second hand you may find some in your budget. I've seen recently some original Arden in good shape be sold for about 2500€.

Old big JBL's also fit in that category. But they will be mostly out of your pricerange.

And like said, Cerwin Vega pa speakers are great for this, just like a lot of older EV pa speakers. Especially with eq you can make them sound better than a lot of hif speakers sold now.

But i would (if i did not design and build myself) probally look at Pi Speakers. Their model Three would be nice and fit's your budget and it's a US brand. They are not so known or tested like we do here, but they got a reputation in certain cirkles as JBL like for a fraction of the price. I heard the model Three (was sold as a kit for 800€ but is also sold assembled) and heared where that reputation comes from. These are fun speakers.

And if you're open for diy, a whole world of big high sensitive speakers opens up, that can be tuned to your wishes. But a lot of good designs are there, very often free availeble online.

Last edited:

sam_adams

Major Contributor
I disagree with those who think SPL's on or off axis or estimated room output from a Klippel equates to real sound and feel when trying to match 8" speakers that for better or worse (re: linearity) are actively interacting with the carpeted floor and room walls.
So, proven acoustic principles, mathematics, and engineering have no sway over you.

Maybe you should try these:

ulf.jpg

They would probably work well as a center speaker:

uctr.png

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
maybe 2K, US, smaller speakers don't feel the same, even if SPL in room is same. Sub is dedicated. There are other subs, not connected to stereo.
Have a look to professional PA speakers with at least 10" woofers, like those.

Selkirks

"Fun" in a large room, on a budget, not looking for perfect measurements. Here are some used recommendations.

Spatial Audio with 15" drivers, Klipsch Chorus II, Unison Research Max 1 or 2, Tekton Double Impact, larger older Martin Logan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom