• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend me a Low Profile Class D amp for subwoofer

fatoldgit

Title says it all.

My speakers support a separate input to drive the subwoofer and I have a spare output on my DEQX HDP-4 (using two of the three available at the moment) which can do the pass filtering.

So all I need is a stereo Class D amp but it must be low profile (say 2", 50cm) as I dont want to take up much rack space. Prefer XLR inputs.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Peter

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
A few of Audiophonics amps are 60cm in height.

update:
As an example.... Amir did a review of Audiophonics amp here (golfing panther award)

If you need more power (at the expense of SINAD), there’s Crown amps as well. Edit: these might not be Class D though.

Last edited:
OP
F

fatoldgit

A few of Audiophonics amps are 60cm in height.

If you need more power (at the expense of SINAD), there’s Crown amps as well. Edit: these might not be Class D though.
The Audiophonics is good... nice chassis, reasonable power and reasonable price.

Even better... could go for 2 x mono's.

thanks for that.

Peter

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What speakers do you have that have subwoofers?

OP
F

fatoldgit

What speakers do you have that have subwoofers?

Gallo Ref 3.5's.. they have a separate input for the woofer.

So technically not a subwoofer (as in a standalone cabinet) but with a separate amp, the Gallo's are rated to 25hz (room dependent of course) so thats into subwoofer territory.

The woofer has a separate voice coil that is driven by the separate woofer input thus it is electrically not part of the crossover when using the separate woofer input (i.e. you must pass filter any signal into it externally) NOTING that the Gallo's only have one crossover point between the woofer and the MTM unit.

If I go for a good but reasonably priced "general purpose" amp instead of a dedicated sub amp (which isnt needed as my dac/pre/peq can do the filtering) then if it all turns to muck I can reuse the amp elsewhere.

Peter

Top Bottom