• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend me a horn speaker!

birkbott

I’m looking for a good measuring horn loaded speaker for use in my living room hifi setup. Amp is Purifi and will be paired with my 15”
Rythmik sub.

I’ve been looking at:
-4 Pi, finished speakers would take 6 months so would probably be DIY, I would do the driver upgrades, these seem to measure well and have good reviews but roll off somewhat high (around 50 hz or so)

- Crites Speakers, a lot of the models are massive, reasonably priced but no specs or measurements on the site

-Klipsch Forte IV have good reviews but I do t think they measure very wrll

-JBL 4349 reviewed here and didn’t measure well, also out of my price range

Are there any other vendors/models I’ve missed?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
- Crites Speakers, a lot of the models are massive, reasonably priced but no specs or measurements on the site
I’d pass on these, clearly they use child labor:

IMG_0111_1080x.jpg

BigFKahuna

I’m looking for a good measuring horn loaded speaker for use in my living room hifi setup. Amp is Purifi and will be paired with my 15”
Rythmik sub.

I’ve been looking at:
-4 Pi, finished speakers would take 6 months so would probably be DIY, I would do the driver upgrades, these seem to measure well and have good reviews but roll off somewhat high (around 50 hz or so)

-Klipsch Forte IV have good reviews but I do t think they measure very wrll

-JBL 4349 reviewed here and didn’t measure well, also out of my price range

Are there any other vendors/models I’ve missed?
Andrew Robinson and Steve Huff give some pretty good reviews. When I heard some Klipsch years ago at my buddies place (forgot if the were Forte or Cornwall) they sounded like being at a great live concert, in a very fun way. Measurements aside.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the H290 horn that Wayne uses in his Pi speakers. Good dispersion characteristics.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
You could consider the Red Spade Audio PSE-144. It has a single compression driver with four midrange drivers so it acts like a point source horn. I could ask the designer if he would like to come here and explain his design if you are interested.

OP
birkbott

birkbott

You could consider the Red Spade Audio PSE-144. It has a single compression driver with four midrange drivers so it acts like a point source horn. I could ask the designer if he would like to come here and explain his design if you are interested.
That’s a pretty interesting design I’d be interested to see any measurements available

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Do you want all-horn-loaded (including LF) or just horn-loaded treble?

OP
birkbott

birkbott

That’s a pretty ruler flat response, I’m assuming the active version has some dsp going on. They seem great but unfortunately they are too big for my space and would make my wife mad. But maybe for a future dedicated listening room.

I decided to order the 4 Pi kits. I’m gonna try and do a nice finish that matches our decor. If anyone has any tips for getting gold results from painting MDF let me know. I’ve only used Duratex before with so-so results.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about Genelec S360A:

Also reviewed here:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s a pretty ruler flat response, I’m assuming the active version has some dsp going on. They seem great but unfortunately they are too big for my space and would make my wife mad. But maybe for a future dedicated listening room.

I decided to order the 4 Pi kits. I’m gonna try and do a nice finish that matches our decor. If anyone has any tips for getting gold results from painting MDF let me know. I’ve only used Duratex before with so-so results.
If no one here knows, try asking on Parts Express Tech Talk. Some people there are very good carpenters.

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Oooh… I’d love to see a build thread in the DIY forum.

I’m a total amateur speaker builder and woodworker. There are others on here with much more knowledge and skill then me.

Still, my #1 piece of advice for getting a good painted finish on mdf is: don’t paint mdf. Iron on paper backed veneer and heat-lock glue is a very simple way to get a very attractive finish. There are tutorials on the web and www.joewoodworker.com has lots of info.

If you must paint, I’d suggest you seal the box inside and out, investigate wet sanding, and plan on a satin finish. Gloss is very hard to do well. Satin is much easier and is much more forgiving of surface imperfections. The issue of seams telegraphing through is also much less noticeable with satin.

Mike

Last edited:

AM88

Good luck with the build. I have looked at the pi 4 also as an alternative to my current active monitors, and would be interested in your findings once you’ve made them.

Top Bottom