• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend me a horn speaker!

notsodeadlizard

Compared to most other designs, it is very elegant and designed for living space. But I also like the raw vintage industrial look.

cropped-20230603_RHINOCEROS_001-scaled-1.jpg
These Polish guys use acrylic based synthetic stone casting, this is a very smart technological solution (and synthetic stone has excellent acoustic properties).
Of course, the molds for such a big casting details will be a little far from ideal, so obviously a lot of manual work is required, grinding and polishing in the first place.
But the solution itself, its manufacturability and aesthetics, is practically a reference.
I like these guys, they are really good.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
These Polish guys use acrylic based synthetic stone casting, this is a very smart technological solution (and synthetic stone has excellent acoustic properties).
Of course, the molds for such a big casting details will be a little far from ideal, so obviously a lot of manual work is required, grinding and polishing in the first place.
But the solution itself, its manufacturability and aesthetics, is practically a reference.
I like these guys, they are really good.

Have you heard these Polish speakers already?
The cast stone material and the way they do it is not new. I know a French guy who has been doing it for decades.

On the one hand, I think they are quite successful and can understand the effort to make them look good, but I still didn't want them.

notsodeadlizard

Have you heard these Polish speakers already?
The cast stone material and the way they do it is not new. I know a French guy who has been doing it for decades.

On the one hand, I think they are quite successful and can understand the effort to make them look good, but I still didn't want them.
Yes. And no :)
It was a bit strange and completely unplanned in a show room in Denmark (it was on a road to Norway), actually there I found out about the existence of these wonderful Poles.
It's hard for me to say anything specific about the sound, I've driven several countries before and was tired, so I can only say that I was impressed.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I just re-imagined a Talking Heads song -- Road to Norway. ;) :cool:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
WAF approaching zero, alas.
It depends on the wife. Mine is also an audiophile and she always liked my audio setups. Unfortunately, I have only a very bad old picture from our former living room where she just dusts off the horns. These Altec VOTT A7 were old US originals from the forties. The wooden cabinets were not glued, but nailed.

1687192099020.png

Last edited:

norman bates

Forum Donor
If I remember, that A7 only horn loads to 250hz, then it drops off until is is basically a direct radiator (100hz maybe -6db from 300hz).

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
If I remember, that A7 only horn loads to 250hz, then it drops off until is is basically a direct radiator (100hz maybe -6db from 300hz).
Yes, if you're referring to the VOTT A7's bass horn, that's actually not a real horn that goes down low. Nevertheless, I enjoyed listening to it at the time. It is not a perfect speaker but an absolute classic. I know a few people who still get their kicks out of it today. I myself have switched to domesticated horn speakers for a long time.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
The Avantgarde horns have already been recommended here. Actually, not a bad tip imo, if they are mature series products that you can easily buy in the store. The manufacturer has been around for a long time. The sound tends to be somewhat hard-metallic, but horn-typical dynamic and responsive.

We have used the Avantgarde horns in the picture frequently at the C.A.R.M.E.N. sound artists association at audio concerts in various rooms, including once in a small church. Therefore, I know them from practical experience, as a small HiFi-PA. They are owned by the association.

avantgarde.jpg

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Avantgarde horns have already been recommended here. Actually, not a bad tip imo, if they are mature series products that you can easily buy in the store. The manufacturer has been around for a long time. The sound tends to be somewhat hard-metallic, but horn-typical dynamic and responsive.

We have used the Avantgarde horns in the picture frequently at the C.A.R.M.E.N. sound artists association at audio concerts in various rooms, including once in a small church. Therefore, I know them from practical experience, as a small HiFi-PA. They are owned by the association.

View attachment 293714
I can see here relatively old model. They upgraded mid and high driver serval years ago. And I’m not fully sure the shown here is still in production. It was in the bass region not really… In the time being they’ve upgraded with a lot of new models all with much stronger bass.

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I can see here relatively old model. They upgraded mid and high driver serval years ago. And I’m not fully sure the shown here is still in production. It was in the bass region not really… In the time being they’ve upgraded with a lot of new models all with much stronger bass.
Yes, that is absolutely right! I could also hear new installations with the big bass horns. The sound characteristics in the mid/high range seem little changed over time to me. The bass used to be a weak point that has lagged a bit. I see it that way, too. But in the application described, it wasn't much of a problem.

There are few examples of horns you can buy ready made that I like. The best ones are usually those that have been specially put together by knowledgeable horn aficionados and refined over the years.

BR52

Yes, that is absolutely right! I could also hear new installations with the big bass horns. The sound characteristics in the mid/high range seem little changed over time to me. The bass used to be a weak point that has lagged a bit. I see it that way, too. But in the application described, it wasn't much of a problem.

There are few examples of horns you can buy ready made that I like. The best ones are usually those that have been specially put together by knowledgeable horn aficionados and refined over the years.
They have really nice ones now. The problem is the price tag. But sometimes it’s possible to buy used.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
They have really nice ones now. The problem is the price tag. But sometimes it’s possible to buy used.
Yes, maybe, quite possibly. Have you already given examples that you like?

To be honest, I'm not 100% through with the topic yet. I would have liked to do some more experiments with modern large horn cinema speakers. After all, some of them are not particularly expensive. But on the other hand, I have to restrain myself and tell myself that enough is enough. :(

BR52

Yes, maybe, quite possibly. Have you already given examples that you like?

To be honest, I'm not 100% through with the topic yet. I would have liked to do some more experiments with modern large horn cinema speakers. After all, some of them are not particularly expensive. But on the other hand, I have to restrain myself and tell myself that enough is enough. :(
It seems the world of horn speakers is a small one. And suppliers for complete systems are most in the boutique region with low competition. And hard to compare. At least, to listen to, you have to travel a lot. Anyhow, I’m still a horn fan.

BR52

zero I have what I need thanks. What does Birkbott mean?

Top Bottom