• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reactions of people to nice headphones (unscientific)

Wegi76

Yesterday my sister visited us because our son turned four and I just wanted to demonstrate my new headphones to her; Hifiman Aryas. She loves music and often visited live concerts before Covid made this impossible but she never heared any higher end headphones or owns any good audio equipment herself. I gave her the headphones and she spotted a song from Ane Brun (Big in Japan cover) in my favorites, which she knew and liked. I started the song and could actually see how she got goosebumps on her arms. She was totally flashed by the experience and did not want to stop listening. I was really happy to see her enjoy the music so much. Maybe this is something we do not experience so heavily anymore, when using higher end gear all the time. It was a real good experience for her for sure :)

BTW: After some songs with the Arya I handed her Focal Clears. In her opinion these sounded worse. It took her maybe 20 seconds to render this judgement :oops:

Did you have such experiences too?

Please delete or modify if this is too irrelevant for this forum and sorry for my bad english.

Cheers
Markus

Hrodulf

My sister was pretty floored by the Audeze LCD-2. I've been in audio marketing for almost a decade and I always say that it's nonsense to say that people can't hear the difference. They do, but outside of novelty, they care very little about it. And often they will be ashamed to admit so.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
After some songs with the Arya I handed her Focal Clears. In her opinion these sounded worse. It took her maybe 20 seconds to render this judgement

What would have happened had she listened to, and gotten used to the signature of the Clear first, for several songs and then handed her the Arya ?

OP
W

Wegi76

Don`t know. I think she was most impressed with this "around the head" soundsphere the Aryas provide. The Clear sounds much more intimate. Therefore I assume, her reaction would have been similar the other way around. But it`s also maybe like with drug addicts: They need more and more (translated: better gear) to get the next kick. She got an overdose right away :)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Don`t know. I think she was most impressed with this "around the head" soundsphere the Aryas provide. The Clear sounds much more intimate. Therefore I assume, her reaction would have been similar the other way around. But it`s also maybe like with drug addicts: They need more and more (translated: better gear) to get the next kick. She got an overdose right away :)

There is a huge correlation between drug addicts and audiophiles. Both need to continue to use the product at more and more expensive rates. Any proof that what they are doing is hurting them financially, they disregard. Even interventions don't work. You can take away an Audiophiles expensive exotic gear and a couple months later they have snuck something back into the house and are using it behind closed doors. It is an addiction that is hard to overcome!

Top Bottom