• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA 1 Female to 2 Male(x2) (1 dac --> 2 amps)

kiyu

Hi Guys,

quick question.
I have a Dac with RCA output connected to an AMP, now I want to try "tubing sound" (Xduoo MT-602), but is also RCA, and I don't want to swap the RCA cable every time I want to use a different AMP. I've found this RCA 1 Female to 2 Male:

1626757467310.png

The Idea, (even do the 2 amps will be connected), is to get 1 ON the other OFF, Could somehow damage my DAC?
What about if for some reason I forgot to turn OFF 1,( 2 ON) still any chance to damage my DAC?
with a nice splitter, the sound could be degraded ?( lose quality)

Please let me know
thanks!!

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It will work and will not damage anything.

I believe (someone may correct me on this) for both amplifiers to both receive a full signal from the DAC, that the input impedance specifications of both amplifiers will need to be a 20:1 ratio to the output impedance of the DAC.

For example, if your DACs output impedance is rated at 100 ohms, and the input impedance of the Tube Amplifier is only 1000 ohms (1k ohms) and the other amplifier is 10,000 ohms (10kohms) , you may get some loss of low frequency response at the tube amp.

You would want the DAC to have an output impedance of 1-100 ohms and both amplifiers to have input impedances of 10kohms or higher.

OP
K

kiyu

It will work and will not damage anything.

I believe (someone may correct me on this) for both amplifiers to both receive a full signal from the DAC, that the input impedance specifications of both amplifiers will need to be a 20:1 ratio to the output impedance of the DAC.

For example, if your DACs output impedance is rated at 100 ohms, and the input impedance of the Tube Amplifier is only 1000 ohms (1k ohms) and the other amplifier is 10,000 ohms (10kohms) , you may get some loss of low frequency response at the tube amp.

You would want the DAC to have an output impedance of 1-100 ohms and both amplifiers to have input impedances of 10kohms or higher.
But if 1 unit (1 amp) is off, would that still reduce the ohms output from the dac?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
But if 1 unit (1 amp) is off, would that still reduce the ohms output from the dac?
That's possible but unlikely. I'd try it.

Of course you'll have to swap the headphone connections. You should NEVER "short" outputs together.

If you're comparing the sound do your best to match the levels.

McFly

Yes - the input impedance is likely still present to the DAC even if the Amp is off, depending on the amp, but I think most will still flow current through their inputs while off. There will be no change.

escksu

Why don't you get RCA source selector instead? Cost around $20.

Btw, cable is usually ok. Most amps uses relays to connect/disconnect the inputs. So if you off the amp, the input is usually disconnected.

escksu

Yes - the input impedance is likely still present to the DAC even if the Amp is off, depending on the amp, but I think most will still flow current through their inputs while off. There will be no change.

Depends on amp design. This is because amps usually use a relay to connect/disconnect to the input. Once the amp is off, input will usually be disconnected.

TrevC

The relay only disconnects the speakers, not the inputs.

McFly

Yeah I didn’t think there were many amps which had relays on their inputs..

OP
K

kiyu

Why don't you get RCA source selector instead? Cost around $20.

Btw, cable is usually ok. Most amps uses relays to connect/disconnect the inputs. So if you off the amp, the input is usually disconnected.

I found many source selectors that does the opposite of what I need like Many many in and just 1 out
and need 1 in and 3 or 4 out.
so far I found this one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094VLWDR...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
(which is bidirectional) but not sure if the others would work or not and the ones that look solid are not cheap

escksu

I found many source selectors that does the opposite of what I need like Many many in and just 1 out
and need 1 in and 3 or 4 out.
so far I found this one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094VLWDR...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
(which is bidirectional) but not sure if the others would work or not and the ones that look solid are not cheap

Oh, most will work bidirectional. Vast majority of these selector boxes has just a simple rotary mechanical switch. So they will work both as input/output. If you are feeling adventurous, you may even DIY.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...ompact-passive-rca-audio-switcher-box.754408/

You can try the Y-splitter cable as well. However, if both amps are on at the same time, it may cause interference/noise. If this happens, then you have to use the source selector or ensure only 1 amp is on at any time. If not issues, then you are good!

escksu

There aren't any that I'm aware of.

OK, my bad. I think only very old amps have them. I have a krell 300il. They uses these relays to turn inputs on and off. So everytime I switch inputs, there will be a soft clicking sound.

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 68

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, my bad. I think only very old amps have them. I have a krell 300il. They uses these relays to turn inputs on and off. So everytime I switch inputs, there will be a soft clicking sound.

Or even these bigger amp relays ..

1627031416366.png

Top Bottom