• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Switchbox for Denon 5.2 and stereo 2.2 - Can use MiniDSP and RME ADI-2 DAC FS together?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I have a Denon X8500H for 5.2 home theater, and I also have an Wiim Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC FS > Hypex 252 that I use for 2-channel stereo. I am using the Denon in full pre-out mode with Hypex 252 amps for all channels. To be able to do this without switching cables, I've added a switch box https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085W1PPHL
1685509965989.png

This solves some of the problem. The switch allows me to turn a nob to control the source from Denon 5.2 to RME 2-channel. What I would like to do is add my subs to the 2-channel for 2.2 for music. This is where I start swimming and would love some feedback.

Conceptually I envisioned using something like this https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-adapter-male-female-assembly/dp/B0009MFRW0
1685509905841.png
to split the output signal from the switchbox. Then I could use a 1 female to 2 female y-splitter for each of the subwoofers and attach RCA cables to the Denon and to the extra female RCA slot on the Audioquest female RCA adapter on the switchbox. That would allow my existing Denon 5.2 to work and if I flip the switch, I would get 2.2 from the Wiim > RME. Right?

I could use REW to help with understanding EQ for the 2.2 and use the PEQ from the RME to make adjustments.

Then it crossed my mind whether adding a MiniDSP 2x4HD would help with the crossover and EQ even more but I'm lost as to whether that's a reasonable path or not.

Lot's of writing here. Any helpful suggestions as to the best approach to solving for this?

buz

Forum Donor
Use the denon avr for music because that has sub integration already solved.

Very unlikely that the on paper advantage of the DAC is audible. Proper sub integration will dominate it by far.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Very unlikely that the on paper advantage of the DAC is audible. Proper sub integration will dominate it by far.
You make an interesting point. The music sounds better from the RME but could also be subjective. I don't play music at very high levels.

I'm using Revel M126BE speakers which have pretty good bass extension to around 50. The RME 2-channel sounds terrific on most music, including vocals, jazz, even rock and electronic. What it can't do as well are songs like Fading Sun or Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, or Rap/Hip Hop with deep extended bass.

Being that the switch allows for the source exchange, all I need to do is an optical cable swap on the back of the Wiim, and a turn of the switch dial should I want to play more bass-heavy tracks. Maybe that's my state.

CapMan

Major Contributor

I guess the only slight downside of using the AVR to integrate the sub is that you can only specify the XO frequency and not the slope which is defaulted to 2nd order I think. I find a 4th order slope with my set up gives me a cleaner transition with less overlap between subs and mains.

Probably much less material than the advantages of Dirac etc and everything in 1 box

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess the only slight downside of using the AVR to integrate the sub is that you can only specify the XO frequency and not the slope which is defaulted to 2nd order I think. I find a 4th order slope with my set up gives me a cleaner transition with less overlap between subs and mains.

Probably much less material than the advantages of Dirac etc and everything in 1 box
Using a Denon AVR and MultiEQ-X one can designate a 4th order cutoff. Is that what you were thinking?
1690559993780.png

Top Bottom