• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

R.I.P. Jeff Beck

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very saddened to read of his passing as a result of bacterial meningitis. He was truly a giant of musical art, and his absence will be felt by many.

Rest in peace, Jeff. You have brought enjoyment to countless fans.

1673483819719.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You have brought enjoyment to countless fans.

Amen on that.

Haven't heard this till now. He will be missed.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rest in Peace indeed. I never cottoned much to most of the canonical guitar gods but Beck always struck me as a artist with a huge range and a totally unique voice.

AudiOhm

RIP

Ohms

OP
MaxBuck

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You dream of becoming a guitar player and then you hear Jeff Beck, then you find out that your dream is shattered.So fucking much quality and technique.
Beck relied on artistry and creativity rather than bombast and reckless speed. He predated the shred monsters, yet managed to remain fresh and compelling. What a great musician we've lost.

jkasch

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Saw him with Beck, Bogert, Appice back then. Had tickets to see him again several years ago. ZZ Top was the other band that was to play that night. Dusty Hill broke his hip that day and the entire concert was cancelled. A lot of the old guys are checking out. :(

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The first Metal album. Truth
proxy-image

dpturner

Forum Donor
not to mention his awesome bangs! inpired Chrissie Hynde's look forever! seriously, he was one of a kind. i saw him play way back in the early 70s, then saw him twice 30 or so years later. so many tones, so few effects boxes!

Eggs Ackley

I first saw the Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart, Ron Wood and Tony Newman in the summer of 1969 at the Commodore Ballroom in Lowell MA. I then saw him in 1972 with Bob Tench, Max Middleton, Clive Chaman and Cozy Powell in Boston and once more in 1973 as Beck Bogert and Appice at the Lundholm Gymnasium in Durham NH. These are memories I cherish to this day. May he rest in peace. He is missed and loved in memory all over the world. Truly a legend.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would put Jeff Beck in my top 5 most influential guitarists of Rock-n-Roll.
We grew up w/him:
  • August 1972 >> JeffBeck/Argent/BlueOysterCult/Flash @UpperManhattan
  • May 1972 >> JeffBeck/ Looking Glass @Carnegie
  • April 1975 JeffBeck/John McLaughlin @AveryFisherHall
  • April 1975 >> Jeff Beck w/MahavishnuOrch. @CapitolTheatrePassaic
All the concerts I've seen him in were of a somber gathering but riveting and amazing.
Jeff Beck performed about 560 live concerts, he even did gigs with ZZtop.
RIP

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In '66 (I guess that was it) a neighbor brought over Roger... (called something else in the US) along with a stack of other records. I don't remember any of those. I threw it on the Panasonic 'all in one' and my musical life changed. I couldn't believe it. I'd never heard anything like it. I wondered, "How the heck is getting those sounds out of a guitar?" I Can't Make Your Way, Jeff's Boogie, Hot House of Omagarashid... Instinctively I realized the man was stretched out musically, although I didn't understand what that could even mean, back then. But I knew it meant Jeff Beck.

In the context of rock guitarists, Jeff was low key. Never had the long standing 'supergroup' or the big hits. Wasn't in the press like Eric, Jimmy, or Jimi. He really wasn't one to stick around too long with any one idea. Said to be difficult to get along with. I don't know about that. Some of his quips were really funny, in a biting and sarcastic way. From Rod Stewart to Brian Wilson--and every one in between; the guy got around. A true monster of the genre.

Dedicated yesterday's practice session to him. The man had ten times as much talent in his pinky than I have (or ever will have) in both hands. But it was the only thing I could think of doing in his honor.

Top Bottom