• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question regarding audyssey multi eq

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a denon receiver and pairing it with elac unifi 2.0 bookshelf speakers for a 2.0 sound setup. Ive read that most people recommend paying the premium to get a denon receiver that has audyssey multi eq xt32.

That said, is that level of room correction that big a deal with a 2.0 or 3.0 setup?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Question: Do you need an AVR for video processing and/or source switching? If not, there are better ways to do 2.0.

If you do, I would say yes, room correction is a big deal with any setup. Often, room correction is more important than speaker selection. As it happens, I am in the middle of deciding how I want to do room correction in my 2.0 setup in my home office.

I don't have any measurements of XT32 without subs, but I can shoot some in the next few days, assuming I can get the house to myself. This is an interesting question, and I might like to shed some light on it.

OP
C
No i dont need it for video processing or source switching. What would be a better solution in that case?

Althought down the line i may add more speakers thats why i was looking at avr receiver

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
AVRs do give you a lot of options and seamlessly accommodate change. And I have auditioned my Denon 4700 in 2.0 mode and found it satisfying, so I would not at all rule out an AVR. But there is a lot going on in there that you do not appear to need.

I was thinking something along the lines of a miniDSP SHD as a streamer / DAC with Dirac, plus a clean power amp. This can easily be done for $1700 or less.

What are your sources? How big is your room? What is your budget?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The miniDSP SHD Power would fit the bill if you don't need video processing. Keep in mind that in spite of all the marketing hyperbole, Digital Room Correction is never plug-n-play but the results will be worth it.It has DIrac built and is also a streamer and a lot more (crossover in particular)
The version of the SHD without the amplifier was favorably reviewed in ASR HERE

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have any measurements of XT32 without subs, but I can shoot some in the next few days, assuming I can get the house to myself. This is an interesting question, and I might like to shed some light on it.

The minidsp with Dirac should be able to do a better job but I am not sure if the results would be audibly better even if assuming it measured better in every way. Based on my limited experience with the trial version, I have my doubts. Also based on my experience with minidsp (without Dirac), XT32 with the App/Rat is a much better solution, and save a lot of wires dangling and another device to take up room and producing heat.

I do have some graphs that were from measurements in stereo 2.0, no sub that the OP can take a look if interested.:)

1609074196970.png

1609074160299.png

With customizing using the App and Ratbuddyssey, and in 2.1 the subs and the FL/FR did seem to integrate well enough as show below:

1609074725588.png

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I had enough time to plug my laptop into the front HDMI port and shoot some measurements based on my previous running of Audyssey setup, which had 2 subs identified. I did not have time to re-run the setup without subs. Because I could not re-run setup with subs turned off, I am not 100% confident in these results.

I copied my existing 2.1 profile in the XT32 app and set the fronts to large, then loaded it onto the AVR. This chart shows a comparison of that profile in direct mode (no Audyssey), with subs set to off, and with subs set to on. The MMM was used for measurement around the MLP.

AVR-4700H Direct vs Audyssey with and without Subs.png

The same graph with psychoacoustic smoothing:
AVR-4700H Direct vs Audyssey with and without Subs Psy.png

(Note that I have Audyssey correction limited to 1000Hz.)

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
XT will not correct for speaker room modes. I don't think it's worth it unless your budget is tight.

BTW make sure the receiver supports disabling LFE downmix. Those tiny speakers won't be able to handle it.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a denon receiver and pairing it with elac unifi 2.0 bookshelf speakers for a 2.0 sound setup. Ive read that most people recommend paying the premium to get a denon receiver that has audyssey multi eq xt32.

That said, is that level of room correction that big a deal with a 2.0 or 3.0 setup?
Yes. I use it even with a 2.0 setup. It does a very good job of flattening the peaks and dips in your bass, then you get one of the best loudness compensation systems as well. The filter resolution of lower levels of Audyssey is much lower and not as effective.

OP
C
I had enough time to plug my laptop into the front HDMI port and shoot some measurements based on my previous running of Audyssey setup, which had 2 subs identified. I did not have time to re-run the setup without subs. Because I could not re-run setup with subs turned off, I am not 100% confident in these results.

I copied my existing 2.1 profile in the XT32 app and set the fronts to large, then loaded it onto the AVR. This chart shows a comparison of that profile in direct mode (no Audyssey), with subs set to off, and with subs set to on. The MMM was used for measurement around the MLP.

View attachment 101890

The same graph with psychoacoustic smoothing:
View attachment 101893

(Note that I have Audyssey correction limited to 1000Hz.)
Im not that astute when it comes to these graphs, could you explain the difference to me?

Im thinking of getting a refurbished av receiver, budget about 1000 canadian, 700 usd roughly

Teeter

@creamygarlicdip Also, if you do decide to buy an AVR and it has Wi-Fi and you have internet, you can find all kinds of mp3 music on the internet. I have a 5.1 system and use my Denon for internet mp3 music, time to time. I use the muti-channel mode in the AVR, for music listening with other mode selections to choose. If you don't have a sub, maybe put on your list.

OP
C
Thx for feedback, i think ill wait to spot a good deal on a denon with multi eq xt 32. For bookshelves im leaning towards unifi 2.0 or debut reference. Both those models seem like great value from my research. Im excited to experience the upgrade from my sony ct260h soundbar lol.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thx for feedback, i think ill wait to spot a good deal on a denon with multi eq xt 32. For bookshelves im leaning towards unifi 2.0 or debut reference. Both those models seem like great value from my research. Im excited to experience the upgrade from my sony ct260h soundbar lol.

Amir has measured and reviewed both the unfi 2.0 and the Dbr62 on this site so I recommend you look up his results for your two choices so you can compare.

OP
C
Amir has measured and reviewed both the unfi 2.0 and the Dbr62 on this site so I recommend you look up his results for your two choices so you can compare.

Yah i just read the 2.0 review. At this point im thinking im better off with the JBL a130's or the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers. Do you think theres any bookshelves worth spending more money on at the same price point as those elacs?

The most i want to spend on bookshelves is about 600-700 canadian. The jbls's are about 300, the paj's can be found refurbed for about 160.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the Elac DBR62s are great. I have a pair and have been very happy with them. Keep an eye out for their "B" stock (cosmetic imperfections and refurbished). I bought my Elacs as "B" stock for $359/pair.

https://elac-america.myshopify.com/

OP
C
I think the Elac DBR62s are great. I have a pair and have been very happy with them. Keep an eye out for their "B" stock (cosmetic imperfections and refurbished). I bought my Elacs as "B" stock for $359/pair.

https://elac-america.myshopify.com/

Would the denon receivers be sufficient to drive them?

Yah im waiting for b stock to purchase the denon receiver i want, makes a huge price difference.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure. Should be plenty fine if you have something with 100wrms/ch into 2ch. Assuming you are not trying to fill a huge room and not sitting a long way away. Room size and listening distance have the biggest impact on how much power you will need to get the listening level you want.

Top Bottom