• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about EQ and Headphone Amp strength.

Mkilbride

Hey so, I'm using this Amp with a Soundblaster G6 as my DAC because I want VSS on PS5 via Optical. I also have Oratories HD600 Harman Curve EQ applied via the G6's Equalizer, he recommended -11 Pre-amp Gain.

Using my G6, I thought it didn't have enough power to drive my HD600 /w the EQ applied because of the 11dB Pre-amp gain. It didn't really get loud enough unless I pushed it to 100% volume high gain on the G6. By then it started to sound weird, even if it got loud enough, it felt off. So I tried with my Fiio A5 which is stronger and normally pushes the HD600 to earbleeding levels. It didn't really get any louder.

I also read in Amirs review that the G6 clips badly at 100% volume, and I definitely heard that.

Thinking I needed something even stronger, I found a open box Topping L30 II for 100$ on amazon. Sounded like a fantastic deal, and not understanding a *thing* about how any of this audiophile stuff works, I saw that it pushed .600mw at 300ohms VS the .85 of the G6 or .111 of the A5. I thought this could surely push higher because more power, but I don't understand audio I guess, because I was shocked that even the Topping needs High gain, around 70-80% to push it to a good listening volume. Even turning the EQ off, it stll needs like 50% instead of Medium gain, which I figured would surely be enough, but shows what I know, eh? It does seem like it can push louder than the G6 or Fiio, and it does get to the level I want, but this thing has *so* much power, I can't believe I need nearly all of it for HD600???View attachment 294937

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Simply use the L30-II on high gain... that's what it is there for.

This is not about power but a gain issue.

Top Bottom