• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Producer need an advice on his monitoring headphones (qc 35ii and DT 990 PRO)

bensmir

Hello I am a music producer and composer, I don't make a living out of music yet but I started making some money lately, so I want to deliver more professional sounding mixes, to the best of my abilities, even tho I am by no mean a mixing engineer.

Monitoring on speakers is not an option for me, terrible room acoustic

I have 2 headphones, QC35ii and DT 990 PRO that I use wiht my focusrite scarlett solo. Both of them have a 3.5 mm jack that I plug into my audio interface with a 6.35 mm jack adapter (maybe a mistake ?)

I am either using the DT 990 pro or the QC35ii wired+turned OFF (another mistake ?)

I want to know which one you advice me to keep as my main monitoring headphone while mixing ? And if there is things I should be aware of in term of frequency response.

Also I don't have any experience with EQing headphone outside of a DAW, how do you do that ?

Thanks

Mark77

they are very similar on paper, bose accentuate the low frequencies, if you use them wired I would definitely say the DT 990 better

kongwee

Major Contributor
DT990 pro. I never encounter anyone use noise cancellation to record or mix. Personally, I tried some noise cancellation headphones, I will never use them for DAW. It is harder to listen for faults for editing, and of course for mixing too.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In passive mode the QCII is all over the place:

1667370640444.png

The DT990 is much better:
1667370699986.png

I would definitely invest in some EQ tools:

Top Bottom