• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problems on Fosi Audio BT20A PRO volume potentiometer

GGC

Greetings everyone. Long time reader of these forums and would like to start by thanking everyone for the wealth of very knowledgeable information that you generously share here.

I have recently purchased a Fosi Audio BT20A PRO, my second amplifier from this vendor. Unfortunately, while the BT30D Pro amplifier that I first purchased presented an extremely nice build quality, with tight but buttery-smooth potentiometers, the same did not happen with the BT20A PRO, which presents a wobbly volume knob. The shaft of the potentiometer has a considerable side to side slack, making its operation feel very unprecise and provides a frustrating feeling of lack of quality. I am attaching a video showing this problem.

When I reached out to Fosi, they told me that "compared with the single-section design, this type of double-section potentiometer is relatively loose, but its function is normal", that "this behavior is a characteristic of the button", and that the "issue with the knob is not a defect but rather a characteristic".

Could other owners of the BT20A PRO please let me know if they also notice slack on their volume knobs?

Many thanks!
G.

Attachments

• BT20a pro knob.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 162

Martinvb

Yes, same here. Seems like some units are more affected than others. Amp works in all other respects as expected, so I decided to leave it at that (although I do agree that the defect does not match the overall good finish of the unit).

OP
G

GGC

Thanks, Martinvb. What surprised me was not seeing this issue discussed until now in the detailed 24 page thread on the amplifier review. Appreciation of the (usually) very nice Fosi construction quality has always been noted in these reviews. Does this suggest that initial units had a proper potentiometer but now there is a batch with a faulty one?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine has a little wobble that I had not noticed until your post.

I assume this difference is because the volume knob also works as a BT Pairing button when pushed. The treble/bass knobs do not have this 2nd function and do not wobble.

I have two other devices with volume controls having push functions. Both the SMSL M300se and Nobsound 08 Pro preamp have some wobble. The SMSL wobbles a bit less than the Fosi, the Nobsound about the same. So I think Fosi is correct, some wobble is normal. I can't tell from your video if your's wobbles more than expected.

anthony 5

Mine also has the slight wobbles on that volume knob again Fosi tells me normal

Dempsey

Hello everyone i cant seem to find a thread that im looking for , i have a pair of krk rokit 5’s gen 4 , 3 years old from brand new hardly used , however recently 1 works absolutely fine no issues, the other one powers on but no sound comes out ? After turn on off cables in out for about 10min or so the sound comes back on , has anyone experienced or heard anything like this ?
Many thanks

anthony 5

Hi my bt20a pro has a slight pop sound coming from speakers when shutting down amp does anyone have that problem fosi tells me this is normal because of two capacitors thanks

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi my bt20a pro has a slight pop sound coming from speakers when shutting down amp does anyone have that problem fosi tells me this is normal because of two capacitors thanks
yes

SSS

Be suprised by the complaints. What do one expects from a 120 $ amplifier? McIntosh build quality? Of course a knob should be tight, but a blob at turn-on or -off is normal also at other amps if there is no disconnetion from the speaker with a relais.

gasolin75

Be suprised by the complaints. What do one expects from a 120 $ amplifier? McIntosh build quality? Of course a knob should be tight, but a blob at turn-on or -off is normal also at other amps if there is no disconnetion from the speaker with a relais.
Nothing on my fosi audio BT20A it's a 75 euro amp

gasolin75

Use an upgraded power supply, mabye thats why

Top Bottom