• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Prices Rising?

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I've noticed that prices of some audio products are going up - KEF and Denon for example. Is this due to supply chain issues? Is it temporary?

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If it has any type of integrated circuits, you already know what is happening worldwide with that market and supply chain....

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a combination of the chip shortage and general inflation.

Plcamp

I remember the early 80’s. My subsidized mortgage was 11.75%.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember the early 80’s. My subsidized mortgage was 11.75%.
mine started at 17.5 and ended at 21.5, increasing 1%/year each year for 4 years.
Those were the good ole days

sq225917

Major Contributor
Containers. Our pre contracts are at 2.5k for a 40 foot, current open market spot price is around 16k

Lawyrup843

Temporary? Last time I checked the price of most things rarely go back to their lower price. Unless another huge change in the economy occurs. When that happens most people will be more concerned with things more important than electronics. IMO

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Here in the U.S. the money printing machines are running overtime and that dilutes the value of the dollar.

Temporary? Last time I checked the price of most things rarely go back to their lower price.
I remember my dad explaining what "inflation" means when I was a kid and I was thinking, "Don't prices always go up? There's a name for it?"

But, technology prices do trend down as long as the technology is advancing.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
A year ago I bought a MIM Stratocaster after the price had risen from $650 to $700. Today the same merchant has the same model priced at $830!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shipping rates will drop back again, the current abnormal rates are the result of a near perfect storm for the industry.

sq225917

Major Contributor
They're largely due to covid restrictions in the US causing ships to queue for days outside of ports, which puts the squeeze on containers as there literally been an increase in the order of 400,000 containers on the water at any given period, this causes stock to pile up at warehouses at the outgoing ports, once this happens they store extra stock Portslade in containers which squeezes it even more. Add in reduced staff availability, that sue canal delay and it is a perfect storm.

There's also a significant amount on speculation on the market, with profiteers buying forward availability which drives up prices. This didn't used to happen but the hedge funds saw trouble coming and bought in big. The scum.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Apparently this inflation is only transitory. Nothing to see here. . .

Top Bottom