• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamplifier/volume control

Linus

Hi guys.
Need help to find a solution for my living room system. My sources are: MacMini (music), TV/playstation and a turntable. I absolutely need a remote and volume display would be a huge plus. I currently have a Linn 5103 pre/pro that checks all these boxes, but it’s almost 25 years old. A one box solution would be amazing, but I can live with a separate DAC. RME ADI 2 Pro would be super nice, but it’s way out of my budget. Any suggestions? By the way, speakers are Genelec 8030. Currently using DIY rca to xlr cables, but balanced out would be nice.
Thanks for your help.

OP
L

Linus

My ”problem” is to find a preamplifier as I need an analog input for my turntable. The DAC is the easy part ;)

Vini darko

Major Contributor
However it can be connected to a balanced dac like the schiit modius via the toslink output and still come in at under £500.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My ”problem” is to find a preamplifier as I need an analog input for my turntable. The DAC is the easy part ;)

IMHO Why not buy (again ?) a dedicated separate phono stage ?
Dacs improve so much from year to year while the phono stage probably not ...

OP
L

Linus

IMHO Why not buy (again ?) a dedicated separate phono stage ?
Dacs improve so much from year to year while the phono stage probably not ...
I already have a phono stage. What I am looking for, is a preamplifier with or without a DAC. Or a DAC with analog in. Lots of DAC, amps and processors review here, but hard to find info about preamps or whatever people use to control volume when they both have analog and digital inputs.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I already have a phono stage. What I am looking for, is a preamplifier with or without a DAC. Or a DAC with analog in. Lots of DAC, amps and processors review here, but hard to find info about preamps or whatever people use to control volume when they both have analog and digital inputs.

The NAD C658 has all these and is cheaper than the RME ADI-2 Pro. Though some on this site are happy with it, it's precisely ASR that convinced me NOT to chose it ...

How about the D90 & new Pre90 to come ?

OP
L

Linus

The NAD C658 has all these and is cheaper than the RME ADI-2 Pro. Though some on this site are happy with it, it's precisely ASR that convinced me NOT to chose it ...

How about the D90 & new Pre90 to come ?

I think I ll wait for the Pre90 to come out and see how it performs. I feel like no one is using preamplifiers anymore beside people with analog inputs. So much easier to go all digital.
Option B is to open a discogs account and get rid of my records, but it looks really time consuming.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom