• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pre amp gain setting for EQ

dweeeeb2

Hi, I've been looking at speakers and noticed in some suggested EQ's that the pre amp gain should be set to -2.9dB. This has confused me. Isn't pre amp gain applied across all frequencies. Would someone mind explaining why this needs to be specified? Is it to avoid clipping?
Thanks

Tallulah

Yes, the preamp is applied across all frequencies. 0.0 dB is the limit. If you want to amplify some frequencies, you need to add a preamp to avoid going over 0.0 dB and clipping that info. The preamp should correspond to the highest boost that you are going to use in the equalization. If the maximum boost is 2.9 dB, then you need to set a preamp of -2.9 dB.

delta76

Major Contributor
Yes, the preamp is applied across all frequencies. 0.0 dB is the limit. If you want to amplify some frequencies, you need to add a preamp to avoid going over 0.0 dB and clipping that info. The preamp should correspond to the highest boost that you are going to use in the equalization. If the maximum boost is 2.9 dB, then you need to set a preamp of -2.9 dB.
been wondering same question, it all makes senses to me now - thanks

rs172

On a similar subject, upon activating the eq on my streamer for the first time, there was a suggestion to lower the gain to -5.
But even when using the eq (and lifting up a bass shelf by parametric eq) and leaving the gain settings to 0db, everything sounds great.
My first question is, why am I not getting any clipping? does it mean that my DAC, preamp and AMP still have more headroom?
Second Question, when lowering the gain in the digital domain, am I losing dynamic range or resolution?
Thankyou in advance

Top Bottom