• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Powered USB cables/ extenders

• Thread starter Deleted member 4987
  • Start date

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
You can use Bluetooth for uncompressed data if you choose the right codec. AptX is one example. There's also other wireless protocols (e.g., AirPlay, Sonos...).
No
APTx has a fixed compression ratio of 4:1 and a data rate of 352kbps. Basically high bitrate MP3
APTx HD is capped at 576 kbps.

sharpty

Just a suggestion, you could setup a computer as a server or node, with the dac connected to it, and then use something like VNC Viewer or some other free remote desktop app to control the PC from a tablet. It's pretty easy to setup. Then you would have the full desktop experience on your tablet with no wires and no possible signal degradation.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 4987

Just a suggestion, you could setup a computer as a server or node, with the dac connected to it, and then use something like VNC Viewer or some other free remote desktop app to control the PC from a tablet. It's pretty easy to setup. Then you would have the full desktop experience on your tablet with no wires and no possible signal degradation.

How would I get from the dac to my a amp on the other side of the room?

gvl

Major Contributor
If you must use a cable look at USB over Ethernet solutions. But first consider a Chromecast Audio device.

sharpty

How would I get from the dac to my a amp on the other side of the room?

Not sure I fully understand your digital audio player setup, but I'm assuming there is a desktop version of the player?

What I am suggesting is to have either an old laptop or small windows system setup near the HiFi system, running your NAS player, with the DAC connected to it.

Then you can install a remote desktop application on both the PC connected to the DAC and on your tablet. That would allow you to pretty easily control your PC from the couch over wifi with no cables around the room. You could test this out first with a smartphone and laptop to see what the interface is like.

I've used this method to control a crypto miner remotely from my iphone. The touchscreen support is pretty good, and on a tablet it would be better.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Get the powered USB cable and don't worry about it. I use one that is 10 meters all the time. I've used them up to 25 meters. I've tested transmission and up to 192 khz they are bit perfect. They do warn you that you might daisy chain them once, but it does drop power a bit.

So if going to a USB powered DAC, I'd use the powered USB cable to get data where you need it, then use a powered hub right next to the DAC to make sure the DAC has no power issues. I've done this a few times too.

OP
D

Deleted member 4987

Not sure I fully understand your digital audio player setup, but I'm assuming there is a desktop version of the player?

What I am suggesting is to have either an old laptop or small windows system setup near the HiFi system, running your NAS player, with the DAC connected to it.

Then you can install a remote desktop application on both the PC connected to the DAC and on your tablet. That would allow you to pretty easily control your PC from the couch over wifi with no cables around the room. You could test this out first with a smartphone and laptop to see what the interface is like.

I've used this method to control a crypto miner remotely from my iphone. The touchscreen support is pretty good, and on a tablet it would be better.

I appreciate your help but this is far too complicated and involves me buying another laptop.

OP
D

Deleted member 4987

Get the powered USB cable and don't worry about it. I use one that is 10 meters all the time. I've used them up to 25 meters. I've tested transmission and up to 192 khz they are bit perfect. They do warn you that you might daisy chain them once, but it does drop power a bit.

So if going to a USB powered DAC, I'd use the powered USB cable to get data where you need it, then use a powered hub right next to the DAC to make sure the DAC has no power issues. I've done this a few times too.

Are super! That was all I wanted to know.

gvl

Major Contributor
One thought is that any USB powered solution will drain the battery faster.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Buy a Corning optical cable. If you try and like it, there are a couple things you can do to help them last longer.
I use a Corning Thunderbolt cable and will not go back to the copper. It just sounds better.

Webninja

Forum Donor
What about using Roon and a Roon end point (Raspberry Pi? Chromecast?) feeding your DAC? I have Roon and although it won't sync across different protocols (Chromecast, AirPlay), it works very well from the desktop to living room to bedroom. I can control everything from the phone or tablet.

Top Bottom