• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Popping a 5000 Amp Fuse

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Got nothing better to do?

1710867777841.png

Video here...

Speedskater

Major Contributor
At my old R&D day jobs, one of the engineers took several large fuse to the Tennessee Valley Authority test facility. At the facility they had a bunker for the testers while they blew things up

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The topic puts me to mind of this old-ish YT video that answers that age-old question: so how does one disconnect a 500 kV electric line?

The connect video is rather less dramatic, because the ionization doesn't happen until the connections are almost made.

nerdstrike

Ah, good old photonic induction. What a lunatic, with enough knowledge to avoid death.

Very enjoyable and sometimes very interesting videos

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
WOW!!!

Somewhat related... Several years ago transformers in our neighborhood were burning-up. I didn't see evidence of a fire or anything but the power would go out for a couple of days until they replaced the transformer. The rumor was that there was a (intermittent?) short somewhere. I think they eventually ended-up doing some re-wiring (underground) and we don't have the problem anymore.

So at that time I was wondering... How do you check for shorts on a power line? It's GOT to measure nearly-short (a fraction of an Ohm) under normal conditions. I assume they adjust it for 10-1V (or something like that) and measure the current.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you check for shorts on a power line? It's GOT to measure nearly-short (a fraction of an Ohm) under normal conditions.
By divide and conquer technique. Follow through the circuit determining at each branch the flow of high current until the short is found.

Top Bottom