• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

POLL: Should I go focal aria 906 (passive) or Focal Shape 65 (active) for desktop speakers?

POLL: Should I go focal aria 906 (passive) or Focal Shape 65 (active) for desktop speakers?

• focal aria 906 (passive)

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Focal Shape 65 (active)

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Just show me the results.

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

murkr

I'm looking to buy some nice speakers for my home office. (speaker about 2.5ft from my head, listening to spotfy and watching YT videos).
I currently have a RME ADI-2 DAC that I would like to integrate into this setup.

I'm considering the focal aria 906 because I can get them for under $1k right now (retail is $2k). I would also need an amp going this route but that is no problem. I would actually prefer this route because I can add a sub later down the line if needed. My only worry is that the focal aria 906 doesn't perform well nearfield.

If I go the Focal Shape 65 (active) route I can just plug the speakers directly into my DAC and be done with it. Also, the speaker is designed for nearfield. But im not sure how big of an audible difference between nearfield speakers located nearfield vs a non-nearfield speaker located nearfield.

If you were in my situation which would you choose?

delta76

Major Contributor
In Europe Focal Shape 65 is 2x if not more expensive than 906. If you can get them at same price range then it would be a better value.

chips666

Cheaper and with good measurements...

OP
M

murkr

In Europe Focal Shape 65 is 2x if not more expensive than 906. If you can get them at same price range then it would be a better value.
I would be spending $700 more to get the focal 65. But then I also wouldnt need to spend $1000~ on an amp since the 906 is passive. So in the end the price would be similar. with probably the 906 costing more since ill spend more than $700 on an amp.

I do like the idea of flexibility with the 906 since I may add a subwoofer down the line. Also, getting a pair of 906 for $900 is a great price and I wouldnt lose much money if I wanted to resell them years later.

mrmojo

Did you get the shape 65? IS the size not too big to be desktop speakers? I was thinking of getting the shape 49 for desktop use.

Top Bottom