• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pick me a modern amp

wemist01

Got a favorite you want to point me to? I'm all ears:

I generally make do with hardware that is somewhat vintage. Recently the reviews for the Topping LA90 piqued my curiosity in the potential benefits of an amp upgrade, but now that I have some money to play with, I've become concerned that the Topping's power could be inadequate. This is especially true since I grabbed a used pair of Revel Concerta F12s a few weeks ago. I like them a lot, but they probably require more power than the Revel m106s I used as my primaries before.

Here's my current setup:
Arcam Alpha 10 Power Amp
Input: MiniDSP 2x4 (which itself has inputs from a NAD receiver and an Onkyo SE-U55SX DAC/ADC that handles connections from phono amp, BluSound and computer.
Speakers: SVS SB-2000
Revel M106
Revel Concerta F12

Budget: $500-$1500
Thanks for any thoughts.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a VTV Purifi that comes in a couple hundred $ under your upper limit. Check out Buckeye for his offerings -- there are a few different amps based on different modules, and his prices are fantastic.

OP
wemist01

wemist01

Buckeye: helpful link, thanks. What do you think of NCORE vs NCx vs Purifi? An NCORE two-channel looks like a bargain.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Buckeye: helpful link, thanks. What do you think of NCORE vs NCx vs Purifi? An NCORE two-channel looks like a bargain.
All good. The Benchmark AHB2 is another good choice.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
What don’t you like about the Arcam? Is it faulty?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All good. The Benchmark AHB2 is another good choice.

Another vote for the Benchmark AHB2 - the engineering is solid, consistent and predictable. This thing runs cool to the touch and totally earns all the accolades it's received in both pro and hifi forums!
Edit: oops my bad I just realized you had a budget of $1500, checking the price, AHB2 is currently $3,300

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've got a 6-channel Buckeye hypex amplifier and it's great. The guy who runs Buckeye is active on this forum and is very approachable - consider e-mailing him with your setup and ask him his recommendation.

If you just need two channels, Purifi typically performs slightly better than Hypex, while Hypex is usually more cost-effective for multichannel setups, but you can't go wrong either way.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Actually your new Revels are 3.5 dB more efficient than old one's so if you're NAD could drive old one's it will do it even better with new one's.
If you really, really want a new amplifier and really, really can't figure a better way to burn the money check the ATI Hypex offering. I would stick with what I already have regarding power amplifier if I whose you and probably spend the money on room treatment (or something else, you name it).

Edit: another SVS SB-2000, Flex & basic front wall treatment (all money gone).

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Vera P400 uses the NC500 and was very well reviewed here (I bought it for my low sensitivity Perlisten monitors, no complaints). The NC500 is a solid foundation for any modern amplifier with great headroom if you need extra power.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Budget: $500-$1500
Right between your budget, made in the US, brand new tech with lots of power, lowest distortion and a great value.

OP
wemist01

wemist01

Objectively, I don't have a need, though I'd really like to upgrade from my miniDSP to a miniDSP flex (the former has three inputs and no way of telling which one is selected, which under certain circumstances is very confusing. The latter has a great display and two additional inputs). Moving to the Flex presents the choice of balanced or unbalanced connections. So you have to ask what the best long-term solution is. If I get the balanced, I'd eventually like to move to an amp with balanced input. Hence the original question. I've really got my eye on Buckeye- I love the potential performance gain and the smaller footprint. Might be a while until I make a choice, but the info here got me off my Topping fixation and refocused on what matters. Thanks for all the replies.

Top Bottom