• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

phono stage vs receiver?

wrat

Current setup is yamaha rxa 870 using integral phono stage, I'm fairly certain this yamaha digitizes everything so I'm debating whether an outboard phono stage would be worthwhile outside of flexibility, something like the emotiva phono or schitt mani

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Current setup is yamaha rxa 870 using integral phono stage, I'm fairly certain this yamaha digitizes everything so I'm debating whether an outboard phono stage would be worthwhile outside of flexibility, something like the emotiva phono or schitt mani
If it applies the RIAA corrections in the digital domain - like the Waxwing or Devialet - you may be better off sticking with the internal phono stage. I have heard a lot of phono stages and my Waxwing does the job better than most. No reason to fear a quality A to D conversion. Most records from the mid 1980's on are cut from digital masters anyway. Now, if an outboard phono gives you some features you desire, then find something that checks those boxes. If this is just the need to play with something - I get it - have some fun trying some products.

WDeranged

As a surround amp I'm not thinking it'll have a good preamp. Even their stereo amps don't have a great phono input unless you get into the silly money. My own A-S301 sounds a bit dull. I've tried a good amount of external preamps and they've all sounded better than my amps internal pre.

I'd go for a Schiit Mani or iFi Zen Phono. They're both much brighter (in a good way) and more dynamic. I'd wager that even with the digitized input they will sound better.

spiral scratch

My own A-S301 sounds a bit dull.
The specs are 14dB better on the OPs phono vs yours, so I wouldn't say that it's not good. If it's anything close to 96dB spec it'll be better s/n than the majority of phonos measured here. It's kind of strange that they even bothered to add a phono section on something this new, but I guess it's a thing.

If you have an audio shop around you might be able to get a loaner to try out.

OP
wrat

wrat

might have phrased question wrong , I know it will digitize an external phono stage , thats not the point of a new one , just wonder about the quality of the internal one

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
might have phrased question wrong , I know it will digitize an external phono stage , thats not the point of a new one , just wonder about the quality of the internal one
Only way to answer that question is to try a different preamp. Are you dissatisfied with the way the current phono stage performs?

OP
wrat

wrat

Only way to answer that question is to try a different preamp. Are you dissatisfied with the way the current phono stage performs?
dissatisfied? not really, curious more likely, even more curious is would I be able to even tell the difference

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
dissatisfied? not really, curious more likely, even more curious is would I be able to even tell the difference
According to the manual of the RXA 870 its phono input has a frequency response of +/- 0.5 dB which is not bad. S/N of 96 dB based on 35 mV translates to 76 dB for 3.5 mV which is better than vinyl can offer.

What the specs do not state is the input capacitance. If it is too high it will have a major influence on the frequency response which is audible.This depends on the pickup (recommended capacitive load) and the capacitance of the cable between the TT and the phono input. Since the former 2 are fix a phono preamp with differing input capacitance could sound different.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
In that case, I suggest you order something and try it. If there is a large improvement, I suspect it will be easily noticed. If it is a small change, not so easy. Might want to order from a vendor allowing returns. That way, the cost of the knowledge is kept lower - restocking and shipping charges versus having to resale on the used market.

spiral scratch

Or as I suggested if you have a local shop that handles phono gear, just go and have a chat with the staff there. They may offer a demo/loaner model for you to take home and try out.

And as LTig said the input capacitance may vary from different amplifiers and dependng on your cartridge may make a better load = better sound.

Knowing the cartridge you are using will help determine which phono may be most suitable.

OP
wrat

wrat

Or as I suggested if you have a local shop that handles phono gear, just go and have a chat with the staff there. They may offer a demo/loaner model for you to take home and try out.

And as LTig said the input capacitance may vary from different amplifiers and dependng on your cartridge may make a better load = better sound.

Knowing the cartridge you are using will help determine which phono may be most suitable.

Unfortunately no such thing around here,
I have 3 carts:
Super OM10
Stanton L747s
Audio Technica ATvm95ml

spiral scratch

You can look up the specs on those carts using a web search or try your luck here: https://www.vinylengine.com/cartrid...chi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=

Then you have to find out what is the input impedance of your receiver's phono input and see if it's a good match. You can add capacitance to the input if it's too low for your cartridge, but not if it's too high. Otherwise, look around for a phono amp that works.

If you're having trouble figuring it out post up the specs and someone will help you out.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can look up the specs on those carts using a web search or try your luck here: https://www.vinylengine.com/cartrid...chi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=

Then you have to find out what is the input impedance of your receiver's phono input and see if it's a good match.
You also need to know the capacitance of the cable. It must be added to the input capacitance.
You can add capacitance to the input if it's too low for your cartridge, but not if it's too high. Otherwise, look around for a phono amp that works.

If you're having trouble figuring it out post up the specs and someone will help you out.
Yep.

Top Bottom