• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phones for more comfortable music work. Suggestions?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD models sound good, aren’t stupidly priced, and the wired HP50 has the best cable entry: dual single sided, so you can plug in the cable to either earpiece.

I wish I could run some wires through yokes on my A2C's to do that.

Sadly, replacement cable with the funny connectors would not be cheap.

The connectors aren't super expensive if you buy them directly from DCA. It will cost you 3 hours of cursing if you've never worked with Hirose connectors before though...

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, have the Ether CX - obviously way out of range. Great cans, seriously terrible cable (scratchy microphonics with every garment). Sadly, replacement cable with the funny connectors would not be cheap.

The Ethers sound good but too big for office and way too expensive. Still keeping my promise not to pay >€1000 for a can :)
Those Aeons might fit the bill but are impossible to demo anywhere but some canjam. And I doubt there will be any canjam this year.
Oh well..
Good talking to you, gotta try some sleep :)

3125b

Major Contributor
Regarding closed, have you discounted the DT770? Surely the best value proposition although the AKG 371 gets a lot of love around here too.
Honestly, I like the K371 way better ... wich is why I got a pair, great allrounder at 109€, they will be replacing my good old UE 4000 for mobile use.
I don't have direct access a pair of DT 770 Pro, but I know them and have access to both DT990 Pro and Custom Studio, the latter of wich I compared to the K371 just earlier today.
Sound wise, the AKG are superior to the Custom Studio (80 Ohm drivers with base-sliders) in almost every way; more lively, more controlled base, softer treble, just cleaner and more present overall.
On top of that, the DT 770, unlike the Custom Studio, has the overly sharp highs of the 990, something I really can't stand. Now, I don't mind a bright headphone, but sharp highs I can't stand - for older people that might be very different.
Wearing comfort will be very different for people, for me the K371 are comfortable. They are reasonably light, not very large and have a low clamping force. With the foldability and the (very, maybe overly soft) pleather ear pads they are geared more towards mobile use than the DT 770 or Custom Studio. They fit over my ears comfortably, though people with large ears might run into problems.
The K371 are way easier to drive than the 80 or 250 Beyer (lots of head room with all common smartphones), and output impedance of the source has no influence on tonality.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Drop only Meze Noir. My understanding is they are identical to the classics in all but colour.

I just cant get on with them. Something about both the fit and the sound that does nothing for me. Just too small to be over ear (on me) and I cant escape the feeling they are consumer 'phones masquerading as head-fi. Whatever that means.

I tried the Meze Noir. I would describe them as basshead headphones.

On my XL head, they just barely fit with the headband completely extended. Not quite comfortable. But I knew this when I ordered them, because it's a common observation that they run a little small.

matt3421

HD598/599 is considered one of the most comfy headphones ever made. under $200

Robin L

Master Contributor
HD598/599 is considered one of the most comfy headphones ever made. under $200
Tizzy on top. No deep bass. Mid-bass bloat. But comfy. I've got HD599 & HD579. 579, less tizzy, bass is the same.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I received the Massdrop Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee yesterday. $180 USD total including tax and free shipping.

I'm pleased with them. Relative to what I had they are more comfortable, lighter and cooler-running, although it's not been very hot since they arrived.

I used them for about an hour yesterday while I worked on a song inspired by Dislocated by The Leauge of Gentlemen (below). I enjoyed the time.

And they sound good listening to the Parsifal Prelude (HvK on Tidal) now.

Thanks for the assistance, everyone!

Top Bottom