• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PGGB - upsampling with billions of taps

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My first thought on reading was "Oh no, not again..."

remastero - PCM reimagined

In short, it's a tool for upsampling to the maximum rate supported by your DAC using filters with millions or billions of taps.
There's a thread over at Audiophile Style. Extraordinary claims made...

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You get to use 8 Billion taps but for only $500. What a bargain!

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mathematically designed, subjectively voiced... o_O

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they’ve had one too many Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
can someone explain to me why such devices exist but a standalone MiniDSP-esque device capable of FIR filters with 65536 taps does not?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm: Oh no. Please tell you made that up? Otherwise I will be helplessly driven to look at the site.......Resistance is useless:(

My attempt to save you, since I've already seen it and can't unsee it:

While remastero's algorithms were mathematically derived and further optimized using simulations and measurements, they were voiced and refined through subjective listening by a group of audio enthusiasts who share a common passion for realistic and natural reproduction of music.

mansr

Major Contributor
can someone explain to me why such devices exist but a standalone MiniDSP-esque device capable of FIR filters with 65536 taps does not?
A few hundred taps is all you realistically need.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
that's still few hundred more than the device in question.

A simplistic FIR filter implementation only works with a small number of taps. I assume, the device in question doesn't have enough processing power to handle a larger filter or the designers didn't know how to optimize for a larger filter, or had assumed that this wasn't necessary.

mansr

Major Contributor
A simplistic FIR filter implementation only works with a small number of taps. I assume, the device in question doesn't have enough processing power to handle a larger filter or the designers didn't know how to optimize for a larger filter, or had assumed that this wasn't necessary.
What device are you guys talking about? The subject of this thread is, near as I can tell, a piece of software meant to run on a powerful PC.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What device are you guys talking about? The subject of this thread is, near as I can tell, a piece of software meant to run on a powerful PC.

I think it was about MiniDSP, and unrelated to this thread :)

Interesting that PGGB needs oodles of memory to execute, even though it's an off-line resampler.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
If this was FIR, it would have a huge delay as well right? So it must be IIR...

Top Bottom