• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Past, present and future. Replacement of broken gear on times of uncertainty.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Hi all!!

It has finally happened. After years of faithful service, my denon AVR 2808 has had enough and stopped working. I expected it to keep on working a bit longer but I guess it´s time to change it.

Here´s the connandrum I have found myself after accumulating gear, let me give you some perspective. What I currently run is a set of seven speakers all of them on the IQ line from Kef (old stuff, I know). Those aside, I have also kept two pairs of IQ1´s from two other systems my family has substituted recently. On top of those, I also have two PSW 2500 subwoofers from Kef too. So yes, you run the numbers and that makes it an 11.2 system.

One of those sets of IQ´s has been substituted by a pair of LS50 WII once the amp gave up and now they are running a mixed use for TV/music/radio listening. I cannot be happier with the system, it is simply put fantastic; so that is the core concern of what to do next.

I trully love active KEF´s and I can imagine the LS60 is just the 50 on steroids, but it lacks the usual features of my now-defunct AVR, equalization being the most crucial.

So what do you guys think should be my next move? Get a new AVR, jump to Atmos/DTS X and set all the pasives I have on a 35 square meters room? Sell the stuff and start building an active system hoping that KEF will support a multichannel solution in the future?

For sources, I use a PC mostly, so the use of the AVR has been very mixed: films, games, online content, music... From what I have seen, in engineering terms, only Denon manufactures decent gear, while on the other hand, I´d really love to try Dirac instead of Audyssey. If I go the Dirac path, my options are Arcam, NAD and Rotel (Onkyo is hard to get over here).

So my options are, as I see it, getting an AVR (something second hand or better quality...), selling as much as I can (old speakers, so not a lot of profit to be made) and go active or wait and endure not having a reproduction device.

Or maybe I´m getting it all wrong, so I´ll welcome any advice and explanation you can and want to provide.

Thanks all!

OP
Vacceo

Vacceo

Major Contributor
That is a work of love. Sadly, I don't have the funds just yet, but it may be worth it as a little by little project.

Last edited:
Top Bottom