• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive to Active DIY 3-way

Jukka

Hypex FusionAmp, a plate amp with NCore modules and dsp front. Have you somehow forgotten it already?

eboleyn

Forum Donor
Hypex FusionAmp, a plate amp with NCore modules and dsp front. Have you somehow forgotten it already?

So, I have 2 different multi-amp setups:
  • Hypex FusionAmp (FA253)
  • DEQX + Purifi 1ET400A amps
The DEQX + Purifi is better, but admittedly only a tiny bit. The linear phase crossover brings that tiny bit extra of clarity. I like the portability of the Hypex quite a bit though.

levimax

Major Contributor
I did the DIY retrofit 3 way active with REW thing. It is great fun and you will learn a lot but there is a learning curve every step of the way and I am still working on it 3 years in. Regarding amps for a 3 way active system I don't think it makes sense to have the power the same for the 3 different drivers. Tweeters need a fraction (like 10 %) of the power of the woofer with the mid range is in the middle (probably closer to the tweeter depending on crossover). While not popular here I don't use "protection caps" on my tweeters both for cost and phase shift reasons, I just size the amp sensibly and have never had an issue. Blowing a tweeter with 200 watts is super easy, with 25 watts not so much.

eboleyn

Forum Donor
I did the DIY retrofit 3 way active with REW thing. It is great fun and you will learn a lot but there is a learning curve every step of the way and I am still working on it 3 years in. Regarding amps for a 3 way active system I don't think it makes sense to have the power the same for the 3 different drivers. Tweeters need a fraction (like 10 %) of the power of the woofer with the mid range is in the middle (probably closer to the tweeter depending on crossover). While not popular here I don't use "protection caps" on my tweeters both for cost and phase shift reasons, I just size the amp sensibly and have never had an issue. Blowing a tweeter with 200 watts is super easy, with 25 watts not so much.

FWIW, I had protection caps on my tweeters for a while out of paranoia, but now I just run them direct. Admittedly I use big tweeters, with the smallest being the RAAL 70-20XR, and I'm also pretty careful.

Top Bottom