• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parasound P6 vs P7 bass management

Epos7

Hi all -

I have a Denon X3700H on the way and would like to use its pre outs to feed a preamp I'll use to select between the AVR and various stereo sources (DAC, turntable, maybe a CDP). I've realized I need something with a home theater bypass feature, and that lead me to the Parasound P6 or P7.

I am working on combining my music and AVR systems into one, with some upgrades along the way. My goal is to end up with a 3.2 system for movies and 2.2 for stereo.

The P7 would give me the option to use the pre-out on my X3700H for the center channel as well as the L + R. I can't quite tell if the P7 has the same bass management features as the P6 however. The P7 has home theater bypass mode and "Analog bass management for stereo inputs". I don't see the crossover adjustment on the back panel like the P6, however.

I'm wondering if the P7 could provide essentially the same functionality as the P6 when the P7 is combined with a miniDSP 2x4 HD? I realize the P7 doesn't have an internal DAC but that doesn't bother me.

The advantage of the P7 is I could put the X3700H into preamp mode which turns off all power amps. With the P6 I'd only be able to turn off the L + R channel, as I'd have to use the AVR power amp for the center channel. For this reason I'm leaning toward the P7, my only hangup being it doesn't seem to have the same bass management features as the P6.

OP
Epos7

Epos7

I emailed Parasound and received a really helpful reply. In short, they strongly recommended the P6 over the P7 for my use case, so I think I'll take their recommendation. Now to decide on black or silver :)

Top Bottom