• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parametric EQ for Raspberry Pi

NandoT

Hey guys, Im trying to pipe an audio signal from my microphone to a Parametric EQ on my raspberry pi to then move it to darkice and stream it. I've been playing with PiPEQ but havent been able to do much. Is there any other way to get an automatic presetting that will help me get better quality audio with out requiring manual intervention?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Got any more details of your requirements? It would help narrow down which of the many possible solutions are (un)acceptable. Jack, PulseAudio or pure ALSA? GUI or not GUI? Live filter adjustment or preset? Just parametric EQ or an arbitrary combination of filters and effects?

QMuse

Major Contributor
Hey guys, Im trying to pipe an audio signal from my microphone to a Parametric EQ on my raspberry pi to then move it to darkice and stream it. I've been playing with PiPEQ but havent been able to do much. Is there any other way to get an automatic presetting that will help me get better quality audio with out requiring manual intervention?

From PiPEQ readme file:

[eq]
left.type = "roomeq" # "roomeq": the Room EQ Wizard's format
left.path = "left.txt" # EQ config file for the left channel
right.type = "roomeq"
right.path = "right.txt"

As it seems PiPEQ supports REW EQ format the easiest way would probably be to make measurements with REW, use REW to automatically create filters for left and right channel and copy them into PiPEQ config file.

OP
N

NandoT

Got any more details of your requirements? It would help narrow down which of the many possible solutions are (un)acceptable. Jack, PulseAudio or pure ALSA? GUI or not GUI? Live filter adjustment or preset? Just parametric EQ or an arbitrary combination of filters and effects?
For sure! So preferably Jack or pure Alsa with presets and as flexible as possible in terms of the filters and effects. Thanks for the reply!

OP
N

NandoT

From PiPEQ readme file:

[eq]
left.type = "roomeq" # "roomeq": the Room EQ Wizard's format
left.path = "left.txt" # EQ config file for the left channel
right.type = "roomeq"
right.path = "right.txt"

As it seems PiPEQ supports REW EQ format the easiest way would probably be to make measurements with REW, use REW to automatically create filters for left and right channel and copy them into PiPEQ config file.
I tried to load PiPEQ but the pip3 installation would break, I tried for like 3 hours and couldn't get it setup. Did you have the same issue?

QMuse

Major Contributor
I tried to load PiPEQ but the pip3 installation would break, I tried for like 3 hours and couldn't get it setup. Did you have the same issue?

I haven't tried it, I'm using BruteFIR plugin for Volumio and REW filters work fine there.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
For sure! So preferably Jack or pure Alsa with presets and as flexible as possible in terms of the filters and effects. Thanks for the reply!
You can use LADSPA filters in either Jack or Alsa (or both...) and chain multiple filters if necessary. The alsa config is essentially static, while there are Jack apps offering reconfigurable effects racks. The System Wide DSP Guide and alsa plugin docs should point you in the right direction for alsa. Also look at the 'More advanced stuff' section of alsaequal - it covers its use as a wrapper for any LADSPA filter, exposing its adjustables via an alsa mixer interface instead of having fixed values set in the alsa config. The source for the volumio brutefir plugin is also worth looking at as a guide to setting up brutefir and the matching alsa config for it manually. The Jack side I'm aware of, but haven't tried.

Top Bottom