• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic DP-UB824 or Sony UBP-X800M2 or ...?

Nifkin

Excuse me for dusting off an old thread, but my question is about the X800M2, so may as well add to the Q&As here.

Besides its video media potential, would the X800 be a good option to use as a transport only, using the coax out to an external hifi DAC? And could it be used that way without having to turn the TV on?

I'm wanting to save space by getting rid of my Marantz CD player and LG BR player, so would be interested to know if SQ would suffer with my suggested plan.

Thanks

SMc

Besides its video media potential, would the X800 be a good option to use as a transport only, using the coax out to an external hifi DAC? And could it be used that way without having to turn the TV on?
Hi! My X800 will play cds without the tv but it doesn't have a front display so I'm on my own for track selection. You might want to use the TV for the initial setup for stereo, PCM, bitrate, etc, if you want to play other discs but I think cds will just play if you don't.

I don't think there's any problem with sound quality with the coaxial output but the HDMI should be fine, too. I split the outputs: video to tv, audio to receiver.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Excuse me for dusting off an old thread, but my question is about the X800M2, so may as well add to the Q&As here.

I'm wanting to save space by getting rid of my Marantz CD player and LG BR player, so would be interested to know if SQ would suffer with my suggested plan.

Thanks
I just tested my X800M2, too, with the TV off. It loads the CD, but does not begin to play until I press the Play button on the X800M2's remote (same thing if the TV is on). The SQ is great; it should be as good as if you were sending 44/16.1 PCM files from a PC to a DAC - the X800M2 has no reason to mess with the bitstream other than packing it into S/PDIF.

fun

Hi! My X800 will play cds without the tv but it doesn't have a front display so I'm on my own for track selection.
Was planning to get the X800M2 once my Oppo died. Didn't realize it doesn't have front display, which can be an issue for knowing which track is playing. The X1100ES has front display, but hard to justify the extra cost just for that. Since I mainly care about listening to music (i.e. CD, SACD, DVD-A, BluRay Audio), don't want to turn on the TV if I don't have to. Hopefully my Oppo can last a bit longer, but it's over 10 years old now.

Doesn't seems like there are much options for players that support multi-format nowadays :(

ZööZ

I just tested my X800M2, too, with the TV off. It loads the CD, but does not begin to play until I press the Play button on the X800M2's remote (same thing if the TV is on). The SQ is great; it should be as good as if you were sending 44/16.1 PCM files from a PC to a DAC - the X800M2 has no reason to mess with the bitstream other than packing it into S/PDIF.

Have you (and others) been happy with your player overall?
Just ordered one yesterday and it was shipped today, my xbox was driving me crazy how loud it is when spinning the 4k discs. 250€ just for the quieter dedicated player feels like a hefty sum of money to me considering I paid 170€ for the xbox several years ago, so the X800M2 better be darn near perfect so I won't hate myself :D

Last edited:

Nifkin

Thanks everyone. Yeah, the fact that it doesn't have a front display is a bit annoying, especially as I'd use it half the time for playing CDs.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Have you (and others) been happy with your player overall?
Just ordered one yesterday and it was shipped today, my xbox was driving me crazy how loud it is when spinning the 4k discs. 250€ just for the quieter dedicated player feels like a hefty sum of money to me considering I paid 170€ for the xbox several years ago, so the X800M2 better be darn near perfect so I won't hate myself :D
Yes, I have been using the X800M2 with standard Blu-rays and DVDs for over a year, with a 1080p TV until this past December when I upgraded to a 4K UHD Sony TV. With the DVDs, Blu-rays and particularly the few 4K UHD Blu-rays that I have watched, the X800M2 produces a really nice picture, though of course the TV handles most of the rendering. The X800M2 spins more quietly than any of the previous Sony and Samsung BR players I have owned, and has a decently quiet tray mechanism. The whole unit has a solid feel to it, and is larger and heavier than the cheapo BR players in stores now, and I am certainly happy I bought it. It supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision though not HDR10+, the limitations mentioned in the early posts of this thread. I have not attempted any firmware update to see if these limitations have been removed. I expect you will find the player very satisfactory when it arrives.

Last edited:

Soundmixer

Looking into a crystal ball: what would you (or anybody else) think wins: Dolby Vision or HSR10+?

Dolby Vision will win, but not because it is a better HDR format. It is technically superior to HDR10+ at the moment. But since HDR10+ is open source, that could change in a moment.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

I'm.usually disappointed with the build quality of Blu-ray players, when compared to hifi CD players: the latter always seem built to last, whereas the former always seem to be designed with a short lifecycle in mind. What's the build of the X800 like?
Then you will probably be similarly disappointed with the build quality of the X800M2. I have never owned a HiFi CD player, though I have seen photos of several such. All of the few CD players I have owned in the 1980s and 1990s have been the upper end of mass market players, priced around $250 to $350. They have usually lasted around 4 to 8 years of medium usage. The X800M2 build quality, judged on externals and mechanical operation, is on par with those players I owned, and is a significant step above (and heftier than) the current flock of flimsy Blu-ray players. Similar trend in internal CD and Blu-ray drives in computers. The cutthroat competition, the shrinking market, and the blind customer preference for "cheaper" has pressured manufacturers to cut corners and target expendables, as well as exit the player market entirely. I agree with you that the build quality of HiFi CD players seems much better, but then they carry a much higher price tag.

The X800M2 measures about 17 inches wide by 10 in deep by 2 in tall. The top and bottom plates are metal, though the top is matted to make it sound dull and feel thicker than it is. The rest is plastic, including the tray. Subjectively, it feels as if it will last about five to six years of moderate use. I do not plan to open it up to examine the internal build quality and components. It seems the $1000 Panasonic UB9000 has excellent top-of-the-line mechanical build quality, certainly superior to the X800M2 and the UB820. Although if you read the ASR review thread on it, you will find knowledgeable people nitpicking the UB9000's build quality and component choice, as compared with the best CD and DVD players of the past. Given the ongoing demise of the optical disc format, I would rather stockpile a couple of decent new players in the $200-$400 bracket, instead of spending up to get a much more expensive longer-lasting player with better build quality but still being a single-point failure risk with dubious future manufacturer support.

Last edited:

Ruudp

I have the Sony x800m2 but I’m very dissapointed. Discs won’t always play, even the ordinary 4k. Also when playing Youtube and I use play fast foreward it freezes all over. Only remedy is unplug the power coard. Im considering buying the Panasonic UB 824 but its already an old machine (2018).

ZööZ

I have the Sony x800m2 but I’m very dissapointed. Discs won’t always play, even the ordinary 4k. Also when playing Youtube and I use play fast foreward it freezes all over. Only remedy is unplug the power coard. Im considering buying the Panasonic UB 824 but its already an old machine (2018).
Strange, mine has worked like a charm, haven't used the apps beyond trying them out so can't comment on that.
Bought the x800m2 because xbox one s was way too noisy and first time I inserted a disc I was afraid that it isn't silent either because there was a humm or whirr when browsing the menus but can't complain because haven't heard it making any noises beyond booting a disc and browsing the menus.
Either it is silent when actually playing a disc or it is quiet enough to not bother me at all during playback.

OP
LTig

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you do a firmware update? There was a new firmware a few months ago.
If it's always the same disk which refuses to play you should contact Sony and tell them so they can fix their firmware.

Top Bottom