• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Optimal wall placement (height) of TV

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
What is the optimal distance from the floor to the bottom of the TV? (I guess the centre point of the TV is a basis for the computation)

The following information is given:

Given the following regarding the TV:
a) Its format is 16:9.
b) Its size is x inches.
c) It has no border.

Assume that the viewer's eyes are z centimeters above the floor when sitting in the sofa.
It is given that the TV-viewer sits y centimeters away from the wall where the TV is placed.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The rule of thumb is to place the middle of the screen at eye height. I tend to prefer mine a little higher as I am usually leaning back a little when I sit (back of couch is angled). You could sit normally and eye a spot on the wall when you look straight ahead (which for me is a little upwards instead of parallel to the floor), place a mark there and/or measure it, to determine where the center of the TV should be.

HTH - Don

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've a friend who put his screen close to the monitor position. You are looking down (it extends almost to the floor). Like sitting in the upper seats in a real theater. It was because this let him use a larger screen due to some wall mounted HVAC vents. Its fine though you don't want to recline.

An issue with me is I wear glasses with progressive lens (bifocals in the old days). If the screen is centered on eye height or lower then I have to tuck my chin in some to keep the screen from being out of focus across the lower part of the image. In my home, I put the screen rather higher. I've got the bottom of the screen about shoulder height when seated on the sofa. This way when seated on the sofa slightly reclined I can view it with my head in a normal position wearing my glasses. This also is helpful when I have an overflow crowd (sometimes for sporting events). I can put bar stools behind the sofa and those people are high enough they can see the screen over those seated at my two sofas.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The bottom of mine is about 5" below seated eye level.

Bringing the center to eye level would have the bottom edge about 6" off the floor.

I usually look at it with my head to the east and my feet to the west, and it is centered between the sidewalls, and swivels to aim wherever my head wants it to be aligned, so, I'm good.

It's mounted to the gear rack, and floats flush with the front of that, and about 44 inches out from the wall behind, and at 9 feet from my eye.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I put mine on a lift. It's where ever I want it to be (to either hide it or avoid reflections from the glass wall behind me). Leaves the wall clear and 'empty' (TV hides behind the subwoofer) when down, better yet.
;)

Top Bottom