• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions on my speaker and sub selection?

Hi guys,

Based upon my browsing of canadian retailers and reading here and other sites ive settled on the following 5.1 speaker+sub combo:

Front L and R - pioneer andrew jones bookshelf speakers bs22
Centre Chanel - pioneer andrew jones centre channel spc22
Surround L and R - pioneer andrew jones bookshelf speakers bs22
Subwoofer - SVS sv or pb1000

I live in a bachelor apartment and want to keep cost down. The pioneer speakers can be had quite cheap refurbed from canadian retailers (120-160 cad per pair) and 90-120 cad for centre. And from reviews it seems bass is their main weakness so i figure the quality subwoofer will be a good complement!

Im also considering getting a 3rd pair of the pioneers to use as atmos ceiling speakers.

Im not sure what avr im getting yet. Ive settled on denon but havent decided which level of audyssey room correction to purchase. Ideally id get one with the mult xt eq32 probably a refurbed avr

Thoughts on my selections? I want to get best performance at this lower price point :) love the reviews here btw!

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Scratch the Pioneer, if you're in an apartment maybe scratch the subs? Get something like the DBR-62.........or maybe floorstanders? Even then that might be too much bass. If you don't have subs you don't need an AVR with XT32.

I would just get the JBl 580 on sale and an Anthem AVR.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Scratch the Pioneer, if you're in an apartment maybe scratch the subs? Get something like the DBR-62.........or maybe floorstanders? Even then that might be too much bass. If you don't have subs you don't need an AVR with XT32.

I would just get the JBl 580 on sale and an Anthem AVR.
The JBL Studio 580 is not available from Harman USA in Canada at the sale prices we see at the Harman USA website. Most likely @creamygarlicdip would have to buy in Canada for full pop or close to that and that's I'm guessing about $2100-$2300 CAN$/pair.

Last edited:
OP
C
Yah those are a bit out of my price range, i was going for the pioneers due to the value for dollar

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yah those are a bit out of my price range, i was going for the pioneers due to the value for dollar
The Pioneers are value for the dollar. You might have issues with the sub if it's a wood frame construction building.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you need to you can start a new thread on the correction stuff and the title may get you more responses.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I lived in a bachelor apt. I lived in a newly built building, concrete and steel beam construction, corner apt so I only had 1 adjacent neighbor. I got a ton of noise complaints from a tiny Klipsch PC system sub. The walls were just too thin. IMO, just go with the best pair of studio monitors you can afford, and call it a day.

Top Bottom