• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions: Jotunheim+Modi3 vs DX7Pro ?

cdg777

Hello ASRers, first time poster.
I created this account to ask what’s your opinion for upgrading from a Fiio Q1Mk2.
Jotunheim + Modi3, or Topping DX7Pro (or DX7s for $200 less)?

Read a lot of reviews, watched a lot of youtube, but I’m none the wiser; people rave about both, people hate on both, nobody compared them directly.
Headphones: Drop HD6xx Sennies.

Other suggestions were:
- Monoprice Monolith 788: but I'm worried about QC and warranty.
- Schiit Valhalla: I know nothing about tubes (are the stock ones ok?).

thoughts?

thank you!!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello ASRers, first time poster.
I created this account to ask what’s your opinion for upgrading from a Fiio Q1Mk2.
Jotunheim + Modi3, or Topping DX7Pro (or DX7s for $200 less)?

Read a lot of reviews, watched a lot of youtube, but I’m none the wiser; people rave about both, people hate on both, nobody compared them directly.
Headphones: Drop HD6xx Sennies.

Other suggestions were:
- Monoprice Monolith 788: but I'm worried about QC and warranty.
- Schiit Valhalla: I know nothing about tubes (are the stock ones ok?).

thoughts?

thank you!!
Obvious question- what headphones do you have/ plan to use with them?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Obvious question- what headphones do you have/ plan to use with them?
EDIT- ignore!!!

Personally I would go for the DX7Pro- read Amirs review on here, he tests with HD650s

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Joshua Valour gives the Monolith a decent rundown on a recent youtube review. I'd be tempted if I was in the market tbh.
But then again, for the $500 or so mark you can get a Drop 789 ($300) and a $200 balanced DAC- SMSL SU8 etc?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome aboard!

What you described here is applicable for just about every audio products. That's why ASR is mostly focusing on objective data rather than speculating about how good a product sounds or not;)! There's plenty of offerings for a decent $500 DAC/Amp combo or stack that have been proved to perfom well here.

Topping E30 / D10 / Modi 3 + JDS Atom / Geshelli / Magni Heresy for ≈$230 total. You definitely don't need a Jotunheim for your 6XX..

For AIO devices: Sabaj D5 or DX7S/Pro would perform good as well.

Pick your poison! It's only up to your personal needs for functionalities/aesthetics/budget etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom