• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OMA K3 $360K TURNTABLE

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Someone needs to design a turntable powered by a Harley Davidson engine connected to a continuously variable transmission with the speed controlled by a laser sensor.

hd_turntable.jpeg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Someone needs to design a turntable powered by a Harley Davidson engine connected to a continuously variable transmission with the speed controlled by a laser sensor.

View attachment 343274
OH BOY, another great picture for my vinyl humor folder,
Thanks
That is a really cool model, do you know where it came from, or is it computer generated ?

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OH BOY, another great picture for my vinyl humor folder,
Thanks
That is a really cool model, do you know where it came from, or is it computer generated ?

I asked Bing's chat function to draw "a turntable powered by a Harley Davidson engine connected to a continuously variable transmission with speed controlled by a laser sensor". That is one that is produced.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I asked Bing's chat function to draw "a turntable powered by a Harley Davidson engine connected to a continuously variable transmission with speed controlled by a laser sensor". That is one that is produced.
WOW! AI is getting really scary. ;)
Thanks

board

Standard Fremer practice not to record at same level
second track is 0.8-0.9db loader first 20 seconds

View attachment 342398

It's a bit difficult to judge from your pictures if "the first 20 seconds" include the run-in groove. It's easy to hear that one of the two recordings has a lot more noise and low frequencies in the run-in groove, which would probably explain the large difference in RMS, including some of the rest I'll say here.
When I first just measured the two entire recordings of each turntable I got a difference of 0.8 dB in RMS.
When I then removed the run-in groove (so it was only the music) and removed the extra clapping at the end that one of the two recordings had, then the difference in RMS between the two recordings was 0.1 dB. So, I actually thought that for the first time ever, Fremer got it right and didn't supply two recordings with different volume levels, which, yes, is his standard procedure. This time it was probably just sheer luck though, since he's been told so many times, yet never managed to do it right or even acknowledge that it was a problem.
When I removed the run-in groove and then only measured the first 20 second of music, I got a difference of 0.4 dB in RMS. And yes, this should be audible, but I think it might simply be one of these vinyl anomalies, since the rest of the the recordings only had 0.1 dB difference, meaning sometimes recording the same record on two different turntables, like in this case, or even recording the same record on the same system two times right after each other can give different peak values, which in such a short time span as 20 seconds could mean one of the recordings simply had one or two peaks slightly louder than the other, giving a 0.4 dB difference. So I don't think it's audible.

Last edited:

board

I think it's butt ugly and the epitome of excess. It's very heavy so you need the special matching table from OMA, also expensive and ugly. Fremer has a prototype and slapped a $50,000 tonearm on it, pitted it against a Techdas here:
I don't think either needle drop sounds all that great, couldn't tell all that much difference between them on my Truthear Zero Reds. There is a slight difference though and I guess I would choose the K3 if I had to.
Has anyone else listened to the two recordings?
Could you hear a difference? If so, what differences did you hear?
Unless we remove certain sections, an ABX test would be impossible, since there are some giveaways, but I'm wondering if even Fremer himself could pass an ABX test between the two, if we removed those sections with giveaways.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone needs to design a turntable powered by a Harley Davidson engine...

Always wanted a turntable I had to kick start. And one where rumble is a desired feature. Now, if you could just slap some leather saddle bags on it, to store your accessories...

JP

Major Contributor
It's a bit difficult to judge from your pictures if "the first 20 seconds" include the run-in groove. It's easy to hear that one of the two recordings has a lot more noise and low frequencies in the run-in groove, which would probably explain the large difference in RMS, including some of the rest I'll say here.
When I first just measured the two entire recordings of each turntable I got a difference of 0.8 dB in RMS.
When I then removed the run-in groove (so it was only the music) and removed the extra clapping at the end that one of the two recordings had, then the difference in RMS between the two recordings was 0.1 dB. So, I actually thought that for the first time ever, Fremer got it right and didn't supply two recordings with different volume levels, which, yes, is his standard procedure. This time it was probably just sheer luck though, since he's been told so many times, yet never managed to do it right or even acknowledge that it was a problem.
When I removed the run-in groove and then only measured the first 20 second of music, I got a difference of 0.4 dB in RMS. And yes, this should be audible, but I think it might simply be one of these vinyl anomalies, since the rest of the the recordings only had 0.1 dB difference, meaning sometimes recording the same record on two different turntables, like in this case, or even recording the same record on the same system two times right after each other can give different peak values, which in such a short time span as 20 seconds could mean one of the recordings simply had one or two peaks slightly louder than the other, giving a 0.4 dB difference. So I don't think it's audible.

I took a look at another YT he did that was posted on SHF. Arm/cart match is quite bad with a resonance of 5Hz that a record warp is exciting. From the two waveforms I'd guess he is using the vacuum hold down on the TechDAS, which I wouldn't exactly classify as an apples-to-apples comparison as he frames it. Last, there's appreciably more interference noise in the TechDAS that can be heard at the lead-in.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 12.39.31 PM.png

board

I took a look at another YT he did that was posted on SHF. Arm/cart match is quite bad with a resonance of 5Hz that a record warp is exciting. From the two waveforms I'd guess he is using the vacuum hold down on the TechDAS, which I wouldn't exactly classify as an apples-to-apples comparison as he frames it. Last, there's appreciably more interference noise in the TechDAS that can be heard at the lead-in.

View attachment 349591

Eeeeh, okay.
I don't mean this as an insult or anything, but how is this other video relevant to what I wrote?

JP

Major Contributor
Eeeeh, okay.
I don't mean this as an insult or anything, but how is this other video relevant to what I wrote?

It was the last post in that tangent for which the information is relevant.

Top Bottom