• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OMA K3 $360K TURNTABLE

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I hear the lament of someone who sold their record collection for pennies in the 90's and is still salty about it :D
Well, at that price and with that money in my pocket, I´d start getting Norma Evangelium Diaboly vynils by the pallet. And once done, I´d start with World Terror Committee´s, then Nuclear War Now!´s, Iron Bonehead afterwards... :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I hear the lament of someone who sold their record collection for pennies in the 90's and is still salty about it :D
Not quite, I sold em all in 2011, did pretty good.
But not near as good as I could have from the chumps today. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But way better than you would have back in, say, ca. 1995 or so.
Yep, and the best news is they all still live on my hard drive in a form that won't get noisier and lose musical information with each play. :p

Punter

That TechDAS Air Force Zero is almost as ridiculous as the OMA! Here's Fremer on it,

"This turntable stomped all over every other turntable I’ve ever heard…It wasn’t even close beginning with blacker backgrounds than I’ve ever heard from a turntable."
Link
What a load of tosh! How on earth can a turntable reduce the surface noise of the vinyl medium it is playing???

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That TechDAS Air Force Zero is almost as ridiculous as the OMA! Here's Fremer on it,

"This turntable stomped all over every other turntable I’ve ever heard…It wasn’t even close beginning with blacker backgrounds than I’ve ever heard from a turntable."
Link
What a load of tosh! How on earth can a turntable reduce the surface noise of the vinyl medium it is playing???
Just sniff it and move on. ;)

Vacceo

Major Contributor

Link
If you can spend that money on a turntable, imagine the amount of drugs you can take.

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Link
I will always be rather fond of the TechDAS.
It was as a result of the horrible Fremer's rant about it, and the comedy gold of the comments, that I discovered this audio haven! :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Link
Actually it's fine... until he writes a slight permutation of the same words -- in, what?, probably two or three months. :cool::facepalm:
I guess it might be fun to see a shootout (a la https://www.fmtunerinfo.com/) of, say, a dozen turntables from, oh, I don't know, $500 to $500k, to see if the orientation or magnitude of the stomp vector changes relative to single tests.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
My children showed a vague interest in my record collection when I introduced them to the Discogs site, I am going to let them sell them and keep any monies accrued, where does one sell records Ebay, local record shops?
Keith

AaronJ

My children showed a vague interest in my record collection when I introduced them to the Discogs site, I am going to let them sell them and keep any monies accrued, where does one sell records Ebay, local record shops?
Keith
Probably eBay. People who purchase on Discogs are usually better-informed, and it's difficult to sell without any feedback to start. A word of advice, they should understand Goldmine grading, and should only describe the visual condition by the amount of visible marks. For example, light marks, few marks, several marks, deep marks, etc. They should also learn a little bit about how to pack and ship - cardboard mailers are ~$1-$1.50 apiece. I usually keep a few on-hand from purchases so that I can reuse them to ship if I sell something.

A local record shop is going to give them 25 cents on the dollar, and depending on the records may not give anything for some/many. But at least they'll all be gone.

Godataloss

Keith
Facebook marketplace is pretty easy if you don't mind dealing with people and they can judge condition themselves. You can also avoid fees this way and sell below market. Local shops generally pay less than half of retail value- sometimes way less. Punk, metal, classic rock are all easy sells. Pressings and condition have a huge effect on value. If the plan is to sell the entire collection, sell it as a lot at a fair price or piece it out yourself otherwise the first knowledgeable guy through the door will loot 90% of the value.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I try to put my mind in the frame of someone who is very wealthy and likes to play vinyl I don't find this turntable to be attractive. That person wants something which is a functioning work of art or a sculpture if you will. This unit is bland and just looks like a pile of rock slabs while the tonearm is busy.

Disclosure: I own no vinyl assets and can't possibly afford anything like this.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm sure the value of your streaming collection more than makes up for it. Your kids will fight over it.
What's a "streaming collection" ?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I try to put my mind in the frame of someone who is very wealthy and likes to play vinyl I don't find this turntable to be attractive. That person wants something which is a functioning work of art or a sculpture if you will. This unit is bland and just looks like a pile of rock slabs while the tonearm is busy.

Disclosure: I own no vinyl assets and can't possibly afford anything like this.

Agreed. If there’s at least one thing that could help justify an expensive turntable (assuming I could afford it) it would be some satisfying high quality aesthetics and materials. This thing would be the equivalent of getting a rock in my sock for Christmas.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Agreed. If there’s at least one thing that could help justify an expensive turntable (assuming I could afford it) it would be some satisfying high quality aesthetics and materials. This thing would be the equivalent of getting a rock in my sock for Christmas.
How do you like it with the table ?
Screenshot_20240118_153814_Gallery.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
... or in one's Trick or Treat bag at Halloween, a la Charlie Brown.
1705586084886.jpeg

Top Bottom