• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OMA K3 $360K TURNTABLE

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But that CD player would not be strikingly ugly. For that, you must pay.
The platter base and platter with that tonearm base is ugly but I like the tonearm even if it has no head shell handle for lifting and such.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a cargo ship. And not even a pretty one. I keep looking for the rust stains down the side.

If I was paying that much for .... well, anything. I'd expect it to look a hell of a lot better than that. Becasue what else am I paying for. Surely not SOTA audio.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Fascinating, I apologize for being mysterious....it's a Technics.

(I'm pretty sure.)
Screenshot_20231017_014145_Chrome.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What? It looks like a derrick crane. :facepalm:
It looks engineered and I like the casting and detail of it. It would be difficult to make. It does look like a derrick crane...Lol. Definitely not a Thorens in the style dept but it's kinda neat.

NoMoFoNo

The high-end turntable thing is gross, as in every time I interact with a phono-adoring 'audiophile' I feel like I need a shower. There is something unctuous and supercilious about the people who inhabit that realm.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, perhaps a bit of a counterbalance to the myriad posts along the lines of "we don't need no stinkin' measurements" increase here?

Yes, this forum is seriously overwhelmed by the anti-measurement crowd!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, this forum is seriously overwhelmed by the anti-measurement crowd!
Not overwhelmed perhaps but annoyingly and persistently angled as such....mostly without much merit for the point in question.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not overwhelmed perhaps but annoyingly and persistently angled as such....mostly without much merit for the point in question.

Yes, I agree.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually I was just curious to see what ASR members more knowledgeable than me think of it.

You couldn't guess? You could have bet your life savings on what ASR thinks of such things :)

No harm, I'm just teasing. That's part of why people are here, to share gripes about the silliness in high end audio. I appreciate that aspect too.
Generally speaking products like this turntable are derided in most audio forums. To begin with, I think it looks terrible.
Even if I had so much money I wouldn't blink at the cost, I'd never let it through my door. And it's hard to imagine all the purportedly heroic efforts at reducing vibrations
were necessary. Like so many flagship turntables, even if the engineering principles were sound, given the medium, it seems ridiculously over-engineered.

JP

Major Contributor
That's two things we agree on in as many weeks. The world's gonna end.

:)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So I think this is an opportunity to bring in a total and complete contrast into the "high end" turntable design philosophy - without starting YATT** to discuss it.

Rega's approach to (their) high end turntables is to go in totally the opposite direction with the Naiad, and construct them from spider web and soot. Admittedly this is still less than 10% of the cost of the OMA. I think when it was first "released" it was buyable for around £30K - but on a build to order and when we can find the man power to built it basis - and there doesn't seem to be a way to order one now. So perhaps more a concept turntable than an actual product.

The design goal appears to be "lightweight but incredibly rigid" rather than "A few kg heavier than a chieftain tank" A philosophy common to all Rega TT with their foam cored plinths, including their current top of the range NAIA which is I think the productionised version of the Naiad - and at a positively cheap £12,500 with cartridge.

So the question is for anyone with mechanical design know how - how do the two approaches compare for (in the words of Roy Gandy) a vibration measuring machine?

EDIT- ooh - and would anyone be able to tell the difference between the £12,500 Naia, and the £360K K3 in a blind test? :cool:

**yet another turntable thread

Last edited:
Top Bottom