• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old equipment: sell or collect

vco1

So far I always had problems with selling my old audio equipment. It's a lot of hassle and the amount of money you get for old equipment is usually not that much. So except for large speakers I kept most of mu old amps, cd players, DAC's, etc. Even though it's not that much, this obviously adds up and takes up space in storage. And the question remains if it will ever be used again. Cause that was also a reason to keep equipment: in case anything unexpectedly died (which never happened) I had some spare equipment to keep listening to music.

What do you do? Keep all equipment, or sell it once you get something new? What are the criteria to keep things around?

And if you keep it, how do you store it? In cases?

Just curious.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I lived in the city, before lockdowns and brick 'n mortar fails, I used to go to a few select dealers and trade. We had a symbiotic relationship. Because of that, and the times, I always had interesting gear coming and going.

Selling? In pre-Web days I'd run newspaper classified ads--, you'd get three or four lines for a few dollars, lasting a few days. Friday, Saturday and Sunday--the weekend special. Those always brought in calls, for either cash or trade. Sometimes they brought in more. Once I had the police show up to check serial numbers. I didn't mind it, because one of the cops bought a turntable I had up for sale. LOL

It was not unusual for me just to give stuff away to a friend, in need of this or that. In those days I actually had friends. :) Sometimes it was big items that I didn't want the hassle of dealing with, anymore. The biggest was a pair of Acoustat Model 3 electrostatic loudspeakers. I never used them much, having the 2 + 2s, which were better, and took up less floor space. I was happy to get rid of those.

I sold a few things at the 'Bay, but was too lazy to work out boxing and shipping. Shipping a large open reel deck, or a fifty pound amplifier wasn't my thing. And I didn't want to have to deal with an unhappy buyer at the other end, a thousand miles away, if they didn't like it, or if the gorillas at UPS were doing their usual 'throw it off the truck' thing.

During my move to the country I brought a lot of stuff with me, in plastic containers. Don't even ask me why. I rotate some of the gear. Just to look at, more than anything. A lot of items gather dust under the bed. Most wound up in trash bin.

I keep a brace of Dyna Mk-IVs and a tube preamp for winter months, in order to help heat the room. Not much else is left. Let's see... there's a set of Paradigm shoebox loudspeakers wrapped in heavy plastic bag, in the basement somewhere. I'm pretty sure there's a top of the line Yamaha integrated amp down there, also wrapped in plastic. Some DACs and headphone amps from the Full of Schitt guys, ProJect and Cambridge Audio. A couple of MC step up devices from companies no one remembers.

Really, no one wants those sorts of things, anymore. It's cheaper and better just to buy something new. My daughter can garage sale them after I beam up. Make a few dollars, possibly. The guitars will sell for more. Much easier to sell second hand guitars than old audio gear.

D

Deleted member 48726

It's tough when you have some kind of feeling for the darn things! The smell, the design, the touch of metal and wood, maybe also some memories. I keep the stuff that I decide is good or I think is quality or got some of the "x-factor" above.. Not always rational decisions, but it matters to me.:facepalm::)

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a basement full of old gear. At least a couple pair of speakers. An amp. 3 CD players. A Couple DVD players. Easily $1000 or more in cords. I might still have a Rotel tuner? A couple crappy tvs. Another $500+ worth of tubes. 1000 Cds or so, probably a couple hundred cassette tapes lol. I hate selling gear. If you’re smarter than me you can try a lot new cool things buying/selling. I just can’t be bothered. I recently met a pretty cool owner of a local analog shop that sells old stuff on consignment. I might ask him if he wants any of it. If not we might try a garage sale one of these days to get rid of everything.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And if you keep it, how do you store it? In cases?
And to answer you question. I have shelves in my basement. I keep cardboard off the pavement and have a dehumidifier 24/7. Also no windows to speak of, so the gear is probably as safe there as anywhere else in my house.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Go to this site https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/ the young hobbyists are snapping it up and setting it up. They ask if something they found at a garage sale is worth anything. Early and pre-80's stuff is prized. Also look at the the related sub-reddits many things related to DIY and vintage

Martin Takamine

Started out with an HT system in the den but as I upgraded I ended up with a system in every room and the garage (see About). But I did sell a bunch of stuff I'd never use again on craigslist for $200 USD. Here's the stuff I sold.
Fosi Audio TB10A 2 Channel Stereo Audio Amplifier
Topping DX3 Pro LDAC Headphone Amplifier
Fosi Audio P2 Headphone Amplifier
Fosi Audio DAC-Q5 USB DAC Desktop Headphone Amplifier
LOXJIE P20 Full Balance Tube Amplifier
SMSL SP100 Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier
VTech CS6429-17 Dect 6.0 Cordless Phone
Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC
General Electric (GE) 5654 / 5654W / 6AK5 / 6AK5W Electron Vacuum Tube, 4 each
General Electric (GE) 5670 JAN GE 5670W / 2C51W, 6 each )
Veho VFS-002m Slide & Negative Scanner for 35mm & 110 Instamatic Negatives
Amazon Fire TV Stick
Echo Connect
Roku Express
DIAOTEC(TM) MXQ (Black) TV Box Android 4.4.2
TDK DVD-RAM 9.4 GB 5 pack
RCA RP3538 Microcassette Recorder
Sony Memory Stick 32 MB and 512 MB

BfjSHRf.jpg

Vacceo

Major Contributor
All my gear is second or third (or fourth) hand. I chance when something fails terribly.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And to answer you question. I have shelves in my basement. I keep cardboard off the pavement and have a humidifier 24/7. Also no windows to speak of, so the gear is probably as safe there as anywhere else in my house.
In my basement I've spent more $$$ than I want to think about installing a dual sump pump, under the concrete floor, drainage system. To drain water seepage. But what else can you do? I have rows upon rows of Lp records wrapped in dual plastic heavy duty bags, with desiccant. And the electronic stuff, too. I presume it is safe. I'll know, if I live longer, and one day unwrap them to find out.

I'm thinking how the best thing would be to live in a desert climate. A land where humidity is a luxury.

I suspect that is one reason some of my gear failed. Switch problems. Because at the time I was living in Central Florida. Frank Zappa called the place the 'mildew capital of the world' and he was not far off. I owned a lot of high quality gear where switches failed. I'm wondering if it was because the atmospheric humidity (even with A/C) affected the contacts?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sell anything that's not nailed down. If it's old technology selling it on eBay is the best best, or maybe Mercari. If you do an auction, run for a week but make sure it ends on a Sunday at 8pm EST which is when bids go highest. I don't even buy on Sunday anymore, because so many people bid everything up too much.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I consult listings of eBay sold items as a way of determining de facto market values.

If prices are high, and my emotional attachment is low, that item may be an excellent candidate for selling.

On the other hand, items which have a strong emotional resonance and low market values are my kinda keepers.

Double cassette decks, multi-disk CD players, older multichannel audio (AVRs) and Blu-Ray players mostly wind up in thrift stores, while high-grade phono cartridges, even broken ones, can sell for mad money.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just put older gear to use, sort of a "trickle down" (i.e. a real one) to my less important/capable systems....some I've given to friends and even local businesses to use. I just dislike the whole selling process, rather put it to use....but there's several items on the shelf not used at this time despite 5 systems....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just dislike the whole selling process
I don't keep dated PC gear and I sell it off as soon as I determine it has been replaced and the new gear is operating properly. In my opinion the freaks, grinders (price grinders) and weirdos that respond to my Kijiji ads are increasing in number. Sometimes I am concerned about who is being let into my home to see the gear operating before disassembly (if required). I also won't buy anything unless I see it operating properly.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't keep dated PC gear and I sell it off as soon as I determine it has been replaced and the new gear is operating properly. In my opinion the freaks, grinders (price grinders) and weirdos that respond to my Kijiji ads are increasing in number. Sometimes I am concerned about who is being let into my home to see the gear operating before disassembly (if required). I also won't buy anything unless I see it operating properly.
Yeah, I'm way away from most buyers in the first place, and really don't want just anyone in my home. I find it more enjoyable to simply put it to use, our local pub has use of a pair of my speakers for casual listening (they have a different setup for live events)....and my favorite mountain bike shuttle service is using one of my setups (a Cambridge Soundworks Model 12) for their patio. I'm running out of rooms in my own place, tho :)

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom