• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old deals we still think about

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
A thread dedicated to "Man, that was such a good deal!".

I'll start. $165 for a each Polk S55, what a deal back then :facepalm:. I'm guessing that I took this picture between 2018 to 2019.
PolkS55Deal.png

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had plenty of those, both audio and non-audio. This took the cake though:

33tbohkwxim51.jpg

This weird late-90s Omega with a jumping hour complication, salmon etched dial and tonneau that languished in obscurity until last year, when it went viral on Reddit and Instagram for its whimsical and intricate Art Deco design. As with many late 90s Omegas that fell out of favour, they could be gotten for well under $2000. Personally, my dad and I were offered a set for $1000 in 2019 we passed up on. Now it goes for around $7000. Photo not mine, just taken from Google.

D

Deleted member 19122

Denon 3600x,they were lingering around 400 euros or so new here in Germany back in 2019 when I was pondering the Atmos upgrade but figured they would go even lower when the 3700 came out.Then covid and the chip fire hit and avr's became as rare as a mofo here,matter of fact still are.People here are flogging all their old avr's for big bucks on Fleabay.I envy the rest of the world as they actually get reasonably priced avr stock.I eventually got a killer deal via personal connection but man it took awhile and some hunting.

Buddelpudding

I got my pair of KEF R5 for 1000€ total, while they normally sell for 1200€ (each!) in Germany. Couldn't believe my luck! BTW, it was sold as an individual speaker for 500 by some Mediamarkt store. I took a chance to buy the single speaker (stock was 1), and soon after another listing from the same vendor appeared, so I completed my pair, although I had to use separate ebay accounts since they only allowed one purchase per person. Crazy, huh?

MCH

Major Contributor
I got my pair of KEF R5 for 1000€ total, while they normally sell for 1200€ (each!) in Germany. Couldn't believe my luck! BTW, it was sold as an individual speaker for 500 by some Mediamarkt store. I took a chance to buy the single speaker (stock was 1), and soon after another listing from the same vendor appeared, so I completed my pair, although I had to use separate ebay accounts since they only allowed one purchase per person. Crazy, huh?
May i ask how do you find these deals in Germany? Idealo or is there anything better?

Buddelpudding

I think this was pure luck and a unique offer.

But I can say that I found it through a Hifishark alert, a very useful site for finding audio deals anywhere in the world.

Reactions: MCH

Buddelpudding

May i ask how do you find these deals in Germany? Idealo or is there anything better?
So basically, set up alarms for all the gear that could potentially be interesting, then watch the market for while (maybe even a couple months) to get a good feel for prices and find a good deal.

Top Bottom