• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OK, what are you guys buying yourselves for Christmas?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hopefully not another woke remake :rolleyes:
Stop that thought pattern, please!
I hope that neither MaryAnn or Ginger ....[:facepalm:] ] ever join BillieEilish ...[:facepalm:] and if they do, I hope I never hear about it.
Does the new BarbieDoll movie portray her as a woke-Barbie?

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Does the new BarbieDoll movie portray her as a woke-Barbie?

I picked up Barbie on DVD the other day and we were disappointed with it. Honestly, you can't really focus on anything when Margot is on the screen and she is the perfect Barbie, but the best character was Ken (Ryan Gosling). Without him, it would have fallen completely flat IMO.

It's a one-watch movie and I kinda wish I'd bought Oppenheimer instead.

Full of woke stuff for sure and sadly missed the mark for me. And it's got enough PG stuff in it that's a little 'too adult' to give the movie to a little girl who loves Barbie dolls, IMO.

Spyerx

An amp with tone controls and a loudness button for my office. A Luxman would be nice!

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
An amp with tone controls and a loudness button for my office. A Luxman would be nice!

A vintage L-81!
1701916155960.jpeg

Left and right individual controls, filters and a two position loudness control linked to volume position.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked up Barbie on DVD the other day and we were disappointed with it. Honestly, you can't really focus on anything when Margot is on the screen and she is the perfect Barbie, but the best character was Ken (Ryan Gosling). Without him, it would have fallen completely flat IMO.

Full of woke stuff for sure and sadly missed the mark for me. And it's got enough PG stuff in it that's a little 'too adult' to give the movie to a little girl who loves Barbie dolls, IMO.

I thought the "Barbie" movie was one of the worst movies I have ever watched. My wife enjoyed it but I found it boring, stupid and not the kind of content I would show young girls. I don't understand how this movie became popular. Or why the media pushed it. Still scratching my head as to how it had any entertainment value.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the Barbie info;
If Barbie was an ASR member, she'd probably tell us that she bought herself some organic suntan lotion, hemp clothing, and fair-trade jewelry, for Christmas.:)

202312_Barbie.jpg

Young Ryan Gosling sings and dances with his sister: link
Factoid: He used to own a pair of Klipsch Cornwall floor standing speakers...

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It is adult and a farce. Surprised that Mattel let themselves look so bad. I guess they thought they were going to sell a lot of Barbie stuff this Christmas. I liked it but as you say if you saw it once there is no more to see. I did expect it to be more nostalgic and young girl oriented and not about candy coating the exploiting nature of Barbie on girls, which it was.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Possibly a renovation project for house flipping. If not, at least I'm homeless and on the street in time for christmas!

Multicore

Major Contributor
Thank you for the Barbie info;
If Barbie was an ASR member, she'd probably tell us that she bought herself some organic suntan lotion, hemp clothing, and fair-trade jewelry, for Christmas.:)

View attachment 332130
Young Ryan Gosling sings and dances with his sister: link
Factoid: He used to own a pair of Klipsch Cornwall floor standing speakers...
I suddenly feel the need to watch Barbie. I want to try to apply a Marxian psychological analysis to it. In World on a Wire (Welt am Draht, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1973), an early example of the genre, the simulated world is also weirdly plastic out of time. Both involve a simulated world in which human-like avatars were created for a specific purpose. In the case of Barbie I guess the purpose is commercial: to sell toys. In World on a Wire the purpose is an element of the drama: commercial vs. social.

The whole of World on a Wire is on YouTube and there's an awesome podcast ep about it too ◕‿↼.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
The whole of World on a Wire is on YouTube and there's an awesome podcast ep about it too ◕‿↼.
The video is geo-blocked in Germany. I had to use a TOR browser to see it. Of course I knew the movie, as all of Fassbinder's works, I remember it. Today it's completely unusual to watch this slow kind of movie with the long takes. In the past, people seemed to have more time and peace for everything which was good, imo.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
You've already planned it, I know. You've got all the excuses lined up:
What's on the Christmas list this year? (no electric mowers)
Nothing audio related, except making the time to sit back and enjoy some great music.
I am at a point where your desires extend beyond material possessions, focusing more on experiences and well-being. As one matures, the appreciation for intangible gifts such as health, the ability to travel to beautiful places, savoring fine cuisine, and indulging in the joys of music and art becomes more pronounced. These non-material aspects enrich life in profound ways, providing a deeper sense of fulfillment and happiness.
^^^ this
Maybe a good bottle of bourbon to sip while I listen to music.
^^^ and this, though mine will be single malt or rye
It is adult and a farce. Surprised that Mattel let themselves look so bad. I guess they thought they were going to sell a lot of Barbie stuff this Christmas. I liked it but as you say if you saw it once there is no more to see. I did expect it to be more nostalgic and young girl oriented and not about candy coating the exploiting nature of Barbie on girls, which it was.
There are so many layers to this movie, people can interpret it in radically different ways. In it I saw the Barbie version of Animal Farm, but with a different ending and message.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the exploiting nature of Barbies on young girls acknowledged in the movie. I was thinking, "how the heck did Mattel collaborate on this!?" And the switcharoo that the Barbies are the benevolent oppressors, and the Kens planning a revolution that looks like a cure worse than the disease. Then instead of negotiating a fair solution to end the revolution, the Kens, in their ignorance, accept a meaningless token grant of participation from the Barbies and support the Barbies returning to their matriarchal dominance. Embrace your oppression because big brother the Barbies know what's best for you. I found it unexpectedly and wickedly amusing.

That said, even while I enjoyed it, I agree it was a 'watch once' movie to rent, not to buy.

Multicore

Major Contributor
The video is geo-blocked in Germany. I had to use a TOR browser to see it. Of course I knew the movie, as all of Fassbinder's works, I remember it. Today it's completely unusual to watch this slow kind of movie with the long takes. In the past, people seemed to have more time and peace for everything which was good, imo.
You should be able to find some scenes or just a trailer by searching youtube. no?

I really like it as you can tell if you listen to the podcast.

Multicore

Major Contributor
A new Epiphone Les Paul 60's Standard in bourbon burst

View attachment 332394

View attachment 332395

View attachment 332396
Is that the new one that comes with Greeneybuckers?

It could be that Greeneybuckers are essential to the recreation of the glorious sound of the 1st guitar on Albatross by Fleetwood Mac, as featured so conspicuously in World on a Wire (Welt am Draht) as mentioned in posts just above. I searched, read, and asked and conversed and got a variety of rather inconsistent answers on what equipment might have used on that recording. But Greeneybuckers are seen as an important feature of Peter Green's tackle.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found it unexpectedly and wickedly amusing.
Me too. Everybody has seen it, so if you haven't you should, plenty of laughs and great over the top scenes. For $5 on Prime you are in the loop with everybody else. Love it or Not.
1701992060356.jpeg
Does great job as CEO of Mattel.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ferrell was funny in Anchorman, but he's still playing the same character, nearly 20 years on...
To tie your comment back to Christmas, it should be mentioned that Ferrell did star as "Buddy" who was raised by Santa's elves.:oops:
[How many KevinBacons is that?]

Top Bottom