• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OK, what are you guys buying yourselves for Christmas?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1701465679058.jpeg

Vintage Pachinko Machine

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are some many religious 'factions' that do not celebrate "Christmas", for a variety of reasons.
One such faction specifically reasons that every day should be celebrated << No celebration/presents are even accepted... Bummer!
I am non-denominational, in the sense that I celebrate them all.:)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Getting a new tile roof with Boral TileSeal HT underlayment plus sucking out all the old blown in insulation and installing spray foam insulation from walls up to cover inside roof area. The sound deadening is remarkable. It's quite a job. Merry Christmas! :D

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My spending on my audio system is done for the foreseeable future.

I plan to do an upgrade to my Home Theater system.

I've had a 4K capable projector for years but haven't upgraded to playing 4K sources, or HDR, because that required: 1. An expensive video processor to pass 4K and do HDR tone mapping - finally bought one. 2. A rewiring of all my video cabling to make it 4K HDR capable, which is very involved...replacing cabling running through ceilings, walls.

It's been more feast than famine for us in the film industry this last year mostly due to the strike, so I've only recently been able to contemplate finally doing the upgrade.
Christmas is my deadline, since the rest of my family are going away for vacation and I'm not able to accompany them, so I at least want to be able to enjoy some 4K/HDR movies in my theater!

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My spending on my audio system is done for the foreseeable future.

I plan to do an upgrade to my Home Theater system.

I've had a 4K capable projector for years but haven't upgraded to playing 4K sources, or HDR, because that required: 1. An expensive video processor to pass 4K and do HDR tone mapping - finally bought one. 2. A rewiring of all my video cabling to make it 4K HDR capable, which is very involved...replacing cabling running through ceilings, walls.

It's been more feast than famine for us in the film industry this last year mostly due to the strike, so I've only recently been able to contemplate finally doing the upgrade.
Christmas is my deadline, since the rest of my family are going away for vacation and I'm not able to accompany them, so I at least want to be able to enjoy some 4K/HDR movies in my theater!

I hope some of your friends will be able to visit you during your family's absence.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A word to the wise: insulate the attic ducts several times over what the recommendations are. Personally, I would fabricate square duct-covers from two layers of 2" polysocyanurate foam board ... that's 4" of insulation. Temps in an attic area can get unbelievably hot during A/C season.
You will also need to inspect the installation yearly, for vermin as well as insects. Critters can be resourceful.

Good luck!

Jim
+100 on this. Unless you insulate super well, those attic ducts just become a heat exchanger to move attic heat into the living area. An aunt had a setup with the normal suggested insulation. On hot days the AC slowly lost the battle letting temps rise by about 5 degrees while running continuously. Tripled the level of insulation and it paid for itself the first summer. Plus the AC could keep up.

Ken1951

+100 on this. Unless you insulate super well, those attic ducts just become a heat exchanger to move attic heat into the living area. An aunt had a setup with the normal suggested insulation. On hot days the AC slowly lost the battle letting temps rise by about 5 degrees while running continuously. Tripled the level of insulation and it paid for itself the first summer. Plus the AC could keep up.
We also added a solar powered attic fan. Definitely has lowered our attic temperatures. The battery powered monitor shows both attic temperature and humidity. We turn it off in the winter here. It was not expensive to buy and have installed.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope some of your friends will be able to visit you during your family's absence.

Thanks! Indeed, over Christmas, a pal is going to come over and cook me some steak, combined with a John Wick movie marathon in the home theater. Seems apt...:)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1701550472716.jpeg

This 1965 Ferrari 275 GTS is what I want to buy but the problem is I'm $1 million short on funds.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
View attachment 331247
This 1965 Ferrari 275 GTS is what I want to buy but the problem is I'm $1 million short on funds.
Well at least you can live in car. But, you can't drive a house. Then, again, you're not alone being $1,000,000 short of what you want for Xmas. Of course you might settle for a Sunbeam Tiger. It might set you back $70,000.

1280px-1965_Sunbeam_Tiger_%288166043683%29.jpg

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well at least you can live in car. But, you can't drive a house. Then, again, you're not alone being $1,000,000 short of what you want for Xmas. Of course you might settle for a Sunbeam Tiger. It might set you back $70,000.

1280px-1965_Sunbeam_Tiger_%288166043683%29.jpg
Love these since age ~16. Can't beat a little two seat car with a V8. Actually would not buy ether car because I live 300 ft from the Pacific Ocean, they would just rust even in my garage. The newer zinc dipped cars fare much better. Even copper rots here if not rinsed every few months. Its the price I pay for beautiful sunsets and watching surfers on 40ft waves at Mavericks Surf Spot from my deck.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very good advice, thanks. I hadn't really considered the enormous losses between the chiller unit and the outlets caused by all that heat. Our roof space reaches incredibly high temperatures in summer- metal roof and it's dark green in colour (brilliant huh?).
I wouldn't crawl around in any area likely to contain critters in Australia. :)

In a geographical twist, I am buying myself a vacation in New Zealand. Scuba and wine. Never been.

RickyC34

Flex Ht for me! I need another pair of KT88 Gold Lion's but not sure if I'll end up pulling the trigger. Tubes seem so expensive now.

Top Bottom